Author Topic: fly fishing flies for ice fishing  (Read 6531 times)

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
fly fishing flies for ice fishing
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Hi everyone,

Do any of you use fly fishing flies for ice fishing? I just came across some ultra realistic flies from http://www.anglersportgroup.com/product-category/json-match-n-catch/json-match-n-catch-json-collections/json-match-n-catch-json-collections-hatch-pack/ I was thinking of trying out scuds and stone nymphs.

what are your thoughts?
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fly fishing flies for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Those are some beauties. The problem, as I'm sure you've identified, is that they lack the weight to take them down on their own. Rigging below a little split shot would do it. I might tie one on a short dropper leader a couple of feet above my main offering. I've tried scuds, San Juan worms, and even an egg pattern once. So-so results but that's common practice with me. Give 'em a try and report back on what happened.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:39 AM »
I use them as droppers on a 12" line below Swedish pimples
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:52 AM »
yup. 3x as droppers. How many times have you dropped down a shiny jig with a fat waxie on it and the dang fish go right up to your swivel or split shot. Tie a dropper line or leave a long tag at your jig and tie on a scud or nymph about a foot from your jig.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:02 AM »
There’s a few lakes I ice that are fly & lure only and I’ve done pretty good with bead head nymphs & terrestrials.
http://www.orvis.com/beadhead-nymphs
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I've used the vmc tungsten fly jigs with success. I've even fly fished with the one that looks like a soft hackle pheasant tail.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Yes! I use them for perch, i run a heavy jig (Rattle spoon, swedish pimple, etc etc) and then tie on a fly 12- 16 inches above it with a palomer knot (it will hold it out). I put a Clam makie on the fly too for a little more enticement. I get two vastly different presentations, and the weight of the bottom jig takes the fly down.

Now be aware i dont know all state laws but its legal in the NoDak.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Yes! I use them for perch, i run a heavy jig (Rattle spoon, swedish pimple, etc etc) and then tie on a fly 12- 16 inches above it with a palomer knot (it will hold it out). I put a Clam makie on the fly too for a little more enticement. I get two vastly different presentations, and the weight of the bottom jig takes the fly down.

Now be aware i dont know all state laws but its legal in the NoDak.

Rigging it this way as a drop shot would help with bite detection. If you tie in a short dropper loop to hang the fly from it will give it a more finesse action so it won't move as much every time you work the main lure below. But keep it short or you'll get it wrapped around the main line.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Rigging it this way as a drop shot would help with bite detection. If you tie in a short dropper loop to hang the fly from it will give it a more finesse action so it won't move as much every time you work the main lure below. But keep it short or you'll get it wrapped around the main line.

I have always tied on directly, never had to many issues with tangling unless i have too many barley sodas ::). I will give your idea a try, thanks for the advice on fine tuning it.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Only fly I have used is a hares ear. I tie directly to the line 12-18" above a jig. I don't catch a whole lot of fish on the fly though. I would try to stick with small aquatic insects.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I have always tied on directly, never had to many issues with tangling unless i have too many barley sodas ::). I will give your idea a try, thanks for the advice on fine tuning it.

I meant keep the dropper loop short or it will wrap a lot, the tangles won't happen as much tying directly. The bit of slack on the loop might help with the finicky fish if they don't want too much action in it. It's just like tying it in as a dropper below the weighted lure, but then the bite detection sucks.

Only fly I have used is a hares ear. I tie directly to the line 12-18" above a jig. I don't catch a whole lot of fish on the fly though. I would try to stick with small aquatic insects.
Yea, don't use dry flies with this lol. Ive been thinking about using a leech or streamer pattern this year and not just nymphs.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I use the frequently,I tie the much like a Sabiki set up,more often than not,the bottom lure catches more fish than the higher ones

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2017, 02:12 PM »
I use the frequently,I tie the much like a Sabiki set up,more often than not,the bottom lure catches more fish than the higher ones

sounds like a neat idea but I think about trying to pull a sabiki around the corner of my hole and I envision lots of snags and cursing! No problems with these droppers getting hooked on the ice when reeling a fish in?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2017, 02:32 PM »
sounds like a neat idea but I think about trying to pull a sabiki around the corner of my hole and I envision lots of snags and cursing! No problems with these droppers getting hooked on the ice when reeling a fish in?

No more then normal. Just dont be a meat head and wrench it up the hole.,

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2017, 05:49 PM »

Nope,I may be lucky,but have never had any trouble.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:22 PM »
I've used the vmc tungsten fly jigs with success. I've even fly fished with the one that looks like a soft hackle pheasant tail.
X2 on these jigs gills love them!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:50 PM »
 :whistle:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2017, 05:44 AM »
yup. 3x as droppers. How many times have you dropped down a shiny jig with a fat waxie on it and the dang fish go right up to your swivel or split shot. Tie a dropper line or leave a long tag at your jig and tie on a scud or nymph about a foot from your jig.
I like that idea...gonna give it a shot  :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Every year I have a new goal when it comes to ice fishing. This year, it is using more dry flys on my tightlining rods. I purchased a good number of #12 and #14 Michigan Rig Flys from Barry Williams (http://spookyspiders.bravehost.com). They were only $1 a piece and the quality and attention to detail is outstanding.
I use a dropper loop with them and tie the loop about a foot above my bottom jig. I then cut off one end and use a palomar knot to attach the jig so that it is hanging about an inch from the main line. I've found that using fluorocarbon on my leader works the best for this as the line is stiffer and the fly hangs straight out.
The only downside to this set up is that it is rather time-consuming to tie all of the knots (a blood knot attaching leader to main line, a dropper loop, a palomar knot attaching dry fly, and another palomar knot attaching bottom jig). This is not something that I would ever try on the ice when my hands are cold!

Offline Paul of Hbg.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Used caddis larva style hooks then add a tungsten bead before dressing whatever fly I feel like tying.....then many times I add a waxie or other bait. I leave as much hook gape available as possible when tying. Red copper wire wrapped works, also green caddis dubbing, also pheasant tail fibers....tapered. My use was all shallow water <15ft so far, but get bass, crappie, gills.
A man convinced against his will.....
is of the same opinion still.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Picked up a number of vmc and northland tungsten ice flies in the bargain cave for about .60/ea
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:44 AM »
I've used the "Impulse" stone flies by Northland Tackle here in Alaska and they are with out a doubt a productive alternative.  All our lakes are trout, char, lakers and landlocked salmon, to include grayling. Managed 4 bows and 1 char yesterday in about 20 minutes.  I used a 1/16 oz. jig head which had no problem taking down to the bottom.  Check them out, you'll be glad you did.  Best of luck.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2017, 05:05 PM »
I've been known to tie a few ice flies from time to time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "ultra realistic " quality of ice flies. Presentation is far more important.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.