Author Topic: ARCTIC ARMOR SUIT OWNERS; QUESTION FOR YAH  (Read 2489 times)

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
ARCTIC ARMOR SUIT OWNERS; QUESTION FOR YAH
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:45 AM »
So im in the market for a ice fishing suit.  I was able to check out most of the options at the St Paul ice fishing show to get a good idea on what the suits are like in person rather then reading about them on the internet.  To be honest, i could probably count on two hands the number of times i ran my heater last winter when ice fishing.  Granted in Iowa temps arent quite as extreme as up in SD, ND, MN, etc but it will get down to -20 here on a really cold day.  So when im looking at an icefishing suit i want something that will keep me warm when im hole hoping and not something to keep me warm when im walking 20 feet from my truck to my permanent ice house if you know what i mean.

I was going to pick up an arctic armor suit at the show but after seeing one is person i have my reservations about it.  I dont doubt one bit that they will float a person in the event that they were to fall through the ice.  Beings that i weight 190 pounds i have no doubt that it would be able to float me without any problems.  In my mind when im ice fishing im more concerned about getting cold then falling through the ice so i would rather have something which is going to keep me warm more so then having the ability to float first and can keep you somewhat warm.

When you compare the specs on the suit to that of the Clam Smurf Suit they might as well be the same set up.  They both had about the same amount of material, pockets, D rings, etc.  When you compare the suit to Clam X-trap series i think that the Arctic Armor is quite a bit less material and therefore in my opinion will not be as warm.  When compared to the Snosuit pretty much everything is in second place in terms of warmth but im not going to shell out 450 bucks for a suit.

So i guess for those guys who own Arctic Armor suits what do you think of them in terms of warmth?  Are you fishing outside with these suits for prolonged peroids of time or just walking in and out of you heated ice house?  What do you normally wear underneath the suit (long johns, shorts, etc)?

The one thing i have never heard a guy with a smurf suit say was that he was cold while he had it on.  Can the same be said about the Arctic Armor Suit.  Thanks in advance fellas!

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ARCTIC ARMOR SUIT OWNERS; QUESTION FOR YAH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I bought the Arctic Armor last year and LOVE it. extremely warm . as with any extreme gear it is important to wear a wicking material as your first layer...something like under armor/body armor. Because no matter how warm an outfit is once you start sweating you will get cold. the under armor type clothing is an essential part of my clothing arsenal.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:39 PM »
I still like the Vexilar suit. It has more insulation it's warmer with less under it and it is a lot cheaper. We have an Ice Armor suit hanging in the basement collecting dust.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:48 PM »
lobes ...I think they are refering to artic armor not ice armor...I have the artic armor jacket+ bibs,2nd year for it, I can not find any thing that I dislike about it...it seems to be as good as they say it is....

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Yeah I mis spoke myself, the Arctic Armor was the first one we bought. I agree it is a good suit. It's definitely over priced though. It is a real good cold weather suit but like I said I just prefer the Cold Snap stuff. It's just a better value for the $$$.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fctyson0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:43 PM »
i to got a set of bibs and coat in the arctic armor.i fish in temps anywhere from -10 up and the wind always blows sometimes up to 30 mph.never been cold in this suit.i do not wear very much under it do to being to warm.most days as the sun comes out i can take the coat off  and just have the bibs and a sweatshirt on.the suit is said to be waterproof and i can say i have fished in the rain and at the end of the day felt damp inside but when i removed the suit i was bone dry.another time  the lake had a lot of water on it and when riding my ATV it would cover me with water to the point that i had to put the visor down on my helmet to keep the water out.when i got off the ice i was bone dry.this is by far the best suit or clothing for fishing i have owned.would buy again in a min.

fctyson0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.