Author Topic: Arctic Armor dressing  (Read 5029 times)

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
Arctic Armor dressing
« on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:37 AM »
What are you guys wearing under your suits. I was doing some research and they were talking about a hooded cotton sweatshirt and blue jeans are a no go. What about snacks, what do you eat on the ice to help you maintain all day?
Bruce
Bruster

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Artic Armor dressing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:02 AM »
What are you guys wearing under your suits. I was doing some research and they were talking about a hooded cotton sweatshirt and blue jeans are a no go. What about snacks, what do you eat on the icce to help you maintain all day?
Bruce
I wear a pair of long johns under the bibs, and a long john shirt along with a regular chamois shirt, or a sweatshirt, and a down vest under the jacket (probably don't need the vest!).  You won't need to overdress.  As far as eats goes, I like to bring a can of soup, a candy bar or two, maybe a snack bar of some kind, and a bottle of Mountain Dew. 
Mike

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:19 AM »
I wear a pair of long johns under the bibs, and a long john shirt along with a regular chamois shirt, or a sweatshirt, and a down vest under the jacket (probably don't need the vest!).  You won't need to overdress.  As far as eats goes, I like to bring a can of soup, a candy bar or two, maybe a snack bar of some kind, and a bottle of Mountain Dew. 
Mike

Thanks Mike,
Hey, I have 3 Beagles, Lucie Johnson, Sammy Johnson and Girlie Girl Johnson. They are the best of friends, always excited to see you, they seldom complain, needs are few and do a great job of keeping my feet warm at night. Lucie is sleeping on my lap right now.
Bruce

The girls doing a little early season fishing.
Bruster

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:23 PM »
 I Wear a set of Cabelas polar tech long johns (expedition weight), a pair of jeans. If it is really cold I add a polartech fleece half zip top. I usually have to keep my AA could zipped about 1/2 down to stay comfortable, unless the wind is blowing real hard.

As for snacks. I usually pack a couple of PBJ sandwichs, maybe an apple a candy bar or 2 and maybe a thermos of soup (depending on lenght I plain on staying out and how cold). try to take stuff that is alitlle higher in fat and carbs as it will keep you warmer.

J-

Offline winjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Arctic Armor dressing
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:19 AM »
The trick is a number of thinner layers. You can always shed a layer to regulate your body heat. Also get yourself a cheap windbreaker type pullover. I found these to be awesome when I use to work construction year round here in WI. If you cut the wind it helps tremendously.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:59 AM »
I wear a base layer and jeans under the bibs. On top I wear another moisture wicking base layer, an insulated underwear top, a shirt and an insulated sweatshirt with a hood under the coat. I take the Arctic Armor coat off whild drilling holes and setting up to keep from getting overheated. You don't need a windproof jacket over the Arctic Armor because it is windproof.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:27 PM »
What are you guys wearing under your suits. I was doing some research and they were talking about a hooded cotton sweatshirt and blue jeans are a no go. What about snacks, what do you eat on the ice to help you maintain all day?
Bruce
I use UnderArmor Cold Gear under my suit.  If temps are like under 10 deg. f. I add an UnderArmour Hoodie.
Shed the Arctic Armor jacket while drilling and setting up.

Offline WilFork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pike Patrol
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:50 AM »
I am thinking of investing in an artic armour suit.  Could you provide some feedback as to the quality and reliability?  Is it worth the price?  Appreciate any information you could provide.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I am thinking of investing in an Attic armour suit.  Could you provide some feedback as to the quality and reliability?  Is it worth the price?  Appreciate any information you could provide.

Any good suit is going to cost you $200, and that'll buy you a top shelf ice suit. The Arctic Armor is a high quality top of the line suit, but there are others that are it's equal in every way, but 1. The Arctic Armor floats. None of the others can make that claim. If the assurance that you will float and live to fish another day if you were to fall thru the ice (this could happen) is worth another $100, that's up to you. I think it's a bargin, but I feel my hide alive and well is worth a measly $100 bill. My wife is ecstatic about it because it floats. Don't think the floating is a big deal? Jump thru the ice with your Carharts on sometime, and walk a 1/2 mile to your car when it's 20 degrees out. That'll be one miserable day if you live to remember it.
Bruster

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I am thinking of investing in an artic armour suit.  Could you provide some feedback as to the quality and reliability?  Is it worth the price?  Appreciate any information you could provide.

High quality in my eyes, have not had a single problems or concern with mine. It in the top three for me in best money spent for outdoor/hunting/fishing stuff and I have spent ALOT over the years( I get the leather bound 1000 page cableas catalog as a "thank you" from them every year! LOL).

if you get one though make sure you try it on first if you can. The sizes run screwy sometimes and you do not want a poorly fitting one (either to small or big) as you will be disappointed.

J-

Offline Hunter5124

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:30 AM »
I bought the green & black artic armor plus suit. It is warm and comfortably, but the quality is the worst I have every encountered in my 30 years of ice fishing.  The first day I put it on the right boot cuff strap came unattached.  The Third day the other fell off.  Then the cheap plastic zipper broke (for $300.00 plus dollars you would think it could be metal).  Then the crossover on the bib straps came unattached.  And I have now owned the suit for 1 month!!! >:(   And finally don't bother calling or emailing I.D.I. the manufacturer, they won't return your call or email.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Listen up...I have had a few probs myself with the suit.  Mom is  a pro with the sewing machine so that is what I have had to do.  ripped cratch riding on quad.....B!@#$ in the back.  Just tore inner velcro boot cuff......hafta get that fixed also.  Seems like the thread could have been a bit tougher on this stuff......becasue all tears have been on the seems.  I absolutley love the coat...no problems there.  When the ice gets over a foot I switch to the carhart bibs .....they can take the abuse.....don't melt.....and just all around good thing to have for work also.  Don't get me wrong...I like my suit...but as I have stated in the past ...I am hard on my gear....accidents happen.....and I will abuse all gear...except electronics.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline WilFork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pike Patrol
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Thank you for your feedback. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.