Author Topic: Looking for opinions on safe ice conditions...  (Read 390 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for opinions on safe ice conditions...
« on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:15 PM »
This is a question about ice safety.  Seven days ago I fished an inland lake in Houghton County, which had 3-4 inches of solid ice with very little snow on top.  Since then, the temperatures have been in the 6-15 degree range during the day and single digits at night, with a couple of nights at zero or slightly below.   One would say good ice making temperatures, BUT the problem is, about 22 inches of snow fell over the same 7 days we had the cold weather.  It was not a wet heavy snow, actually light and fluffy.  I spent the last hour or so reading the responses from previous similar posts, but I would still like opinions on what the ice conditions might be after the cold and snow.  I know the weight of the snow will cause water to be pushed up onto the ice once a hole is drilled. I also know snow is a great insulator and will considerably slow down the formation of new ice  Anybody have thoughts on what the conditions of the ice might be now.  I understand it is just your opinion and I will always error on the side of caution.  Just curious to hear what you have to say.   

Offline The Fisher King

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for opinions on safe ice conditions...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:02 AM »
The ice should be safe.

The pancake layers start forming and make it almost impossible to go through.

From my experience this year, and ever other year, is it has always formed a top layer of ice on top on the honeycomb we see every year on inland lakes.

Always be safe and know your limits.

“If you want to be brave, you have to be smart.” - The Fisher King

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.