Author Topic: Thoughts on locating bluegill? First ice-last...  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thoughts on locating bluegill? First ice-last...
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Im going to be targeting some gills this year and need advice on locating them.
Last season, late ice I had good luck shallow and where water was coming into the lake. Not at the mouth but farther out just so I was close to the channel where the water was coming in.
Where should I look to start this year when we get first ice?(early January usually) then where should I be looking mid ice season? I have been doing some research but have not found allot of info about locating gills. Thanks!

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thoughts on locating bluegill? First ice-last...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Depends on the lake. Some times Gills are deep in the basin other times in the weed flats, can vary a lot. I look for green weeds start there then move out deeper until I contact fish. I often find them on flats that are near deeper water . But I always start  in or near weeds.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:08 PM »
When you say flats. How deep we talking? Is there a certain depth you usually get them at?

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:16 PM »
It'll depend on the lake.  If your lake is 20 feet deep and has a weedy point coming in from an inlet, the point is a good place to start... Then out to the flat which, in this case, is likely 18-20 feet deep.

Gills can be funny sometimes...  I can't speak to late ice, but I had success last year on early ice fishing real shallow in a cove that had no water and very few weeds... They were just sitting there at a slight incline, the bottom dropped from 5' to 8' in about a 20' stretch.  No other structure.  Wasn't expecting to find em there.  :)

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:06 PM »

Gills can be funny sometimes...  I can't speak to late ice, but I had success last year on early ice fishing real shallow in a cove that had no water and very few weeds... They were just sitting there at a slight incline, the bottom dropped from 5' to 8' in about a 20' stretch.  No other structure.  Wasn't expecting to find em there.  :)
[/quote]       
Maybe a transition ,hard bottom to soft? A sticky bottom situation ? Perhaps a lot of food there?
Late ice I often find them as sallow as 5' and then   deeper again depends on the lake.  Find green weeds and you should find blue gills near by.
A flat can be sallow or deep.  Blue gills like all fish need oxygen ,cover, and food.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I find early gills in 12 to 20 fow at first ice on a flat every year late ice they tend to start moving into shallow water 5 to 8 fow every lake is a little different

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:16 PM »
The depth where you will find gills varies greatly and can be lake specific. My favorite gill lake is only about 7' deep but has lots of weeds that the gills relate to, but they can also be scattered. Another larger lake I fish is over 400 acres but only maxes at about 15". The main basin is 10' and there is a spot where it transitions in the 7-9' range where you can catch nice gills like clock work; also near weeds. Most lake gills  are even easier late because they tend to be near or over their spawning grounds. One local lake was tough all year, but if the ice lasted into March a shallow arm (mostly4-6') would produce crazy nos. of nice gills. Of course it got over harvested and hasn't been like that for a few years. As stated a couple post ago; if you can find green weeds you are in a good starting place.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I have a vexilar.
 How do you guys find green weeds? I can see weeds on my vex. But how do you find green without a camera?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Food, safety and oxygen, not necessarily in any order but in combination, is the key and every lake is different. Shallow, deep or suspended, take the time to learn the lake and be willing to experiment. Just because most fisherman are in one area doesn't mean it' the best and/or only area, or are using the only baitcombo that will work. The mob may be the best place to start on a new water but finding other place often leads to more and better fish, usually they're just to lazy to move and waiting for someone else to figure it out for rhem

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2014, 12:10 PM »
1. Weeds
2. Weeds next to sandy bottoms
3. Weeds next to shelves and drop offs
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I have a vexilar.
 How do you guys find green weeds? I can see weeds on my vex. But how do you find green without a camera?

Drop a lure down and snag some and look at them.  You some times can look down and see the weeds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.