Author Topic: Best Burbot Lure/Bait  (Read 71275 times)

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
Re: Best Burbot Lure/Bait
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Y

Check out this webpage http://regina.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101209/sask-reg-reel-101209/20110525/?hub=Regina and click on CTV New Video The Burbs, for some more ideas. ;)

WW

Great trick shown in this clip. Thanks for that link  :)
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:59 PM »
No problem, hopefully it will work for you, and everyone else. :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:44 PM »
We use large live minnows  ,or dead smelt . We find the bigger the better.
hook and cook

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I haven't had much luck jigging, but we'll rig tip ups with a live shiner and put a split shot about 8-12 inches above the hook and set the sinker on the bottom.  Seems to work, I'll have to try some different jigs and find something that works.

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Great video, will try this split hole trick lots this year. Thanks

Offline shenokwa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Big jigs and sucker for me!

Offline allweather fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Ive been reading a lot about ling and everyone keeps saying use smelly rotting bait. im woundering if anyone has used wild game, that can get quite a funk to it
Here fishy fishy...

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Try A glow jig at night  ;)

Offline hallyslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Ive been reading a lot about ling and everyone keeps saying use smelly rotting bait. im woundering if anyone has used wild game, that can get quite a funk to it

I've used deer scraps on a spoon before, it worked the one time, but since then I have switched to using roe as a my go to bait.

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:43 AM »
Sounds like they will hit about anything you put down there when they are hungry

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:19 AM »
For the best, use dead smelt, on a tip up, right on the bottom at night.  You wont get skunked, but they will swallow the bait, so be prepared with a sharp knife or pliers.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:01 PM »
I just got done cleaning a couple ling from yesterday.  The biggest one we got was 21inches.  It had about a 9 inch trout in its belly.  So I don't think you can go too big on your bait.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:47 PM »
I just got done cleaning a couple ling from yesterday.  The biggest one we got was 21inches.  It had about a 9 inch trout in its belly.  So I don't think you can go too big on your bait.

I agree adam. I caught a six pound ling on Ft. Peck that swallowed a 1.5 pound smallmouth bass that I had hooked sometime during the night. The Ling didnt have a hook in it but the smallie had been completely swallowed. Had a heck of a time getting that hook back. We do best with live minnows under a tip up with some glow beads above the hook. Ling love anything that glows. If you find a place with plenty of Ling I have never had a problem with them chasing live bait. Just never tried dead bait. If I was only targeting Ling I probably would though.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Bigskyokie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Agree with VT.  Smelt are the best.  We used them on plain bait hooks, until a guy in Dillon came up with a heavy chartreuse glow head jig with holographic wings, and a split pearl white curly tail.  The jig with smelt, WOW!
For the guys in Saskatchewan, we used to fish La Ronge in the sixties and seventies.  The deep trout holes were filled with very big burbot.  We got them by jigging or deadsticking a big hair jig tipped with belly meat from a pike.  Brother-in-law got one about 40 pounds.  The owner of the guide service we used said his clients had reported burbot (called dogfish by the locals) up to 60 pounds.

Offline terrycaver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jun 23, 2013, 02:19 AM »
Been catching burbot with minnows on a jighead, pretty simple rig.
However, regarding burbot bait / lures / tackle, I found quite an interesting and extensive post, here: http://hummingbirdfishfinderreviews.com/how-to-catch-burbot-burbot-tackle/

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:39 PM »
That time of year again. We use large swedish pimples 8`s or 9`s,pearl white with glow tape.Also I put on a 4" white tube jig.And top it off with a large glow stick 1/2 down the tube. Works good on Torch Lk and Grand Traverse Bay. Good luck.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Large shiner on white jig head.

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Fresh Sucker meat on a 1/2 oz jig. Night fishing

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2015, 02:47 PM »
For jigging, my go to is a one oz. PK Panic in Ref dot glow, tipped with fresh cut or fresh dead bait. Sucker or smelt. The northland buckshot spoon is very popular but I haven't tried one. On overnight sets with live bait (permissible in NH) I like jumbo live shiners or small suckers, or large cut sucker. Fresh. I prefer live though. Here, on a set like that we have to have the bait no more than 6 inches in front of a 1 oz weight. This is fine though. The bait can freak out all it wants (I honestly think cusk prefer this) but it can't get away. 6 inch 'leash'.

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:13 AM »
No body fishes tip ups with night crawlers on the bottom?  I watched an episode on using night crawlers and I think I'm gonna try them

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:38 AM »
I accidentally caught my first eelpout ever last Sunday, I was fishing a small silver puppet minnow with a minnow head for perch.  He was just over 22" He gave my light action pole and 3 pound test line a long workout, there is a lot to be said for a reel with good drag.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:15 PM »
I use a large glow swedish pimple with 1/4" to 1/2" slice of herring, and have done well.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:49 AM »
Hi squ1rr31_

We have tried several different baits over the years, but catch far more by jigging spoons and plastics mere inches off the bottom than any other way. 

All of the really big burbot I have caught have been in less than 10 feet of water at night. This one was over 20 pounds and caught on a five inch tube jig.

Another 20+ pounder engulfed an orange and black spoon jigged barely off the bottom in about seven feet.

Not sure why, but seems most people are not aware that burbot are voracious predators that actively pursue prey.  Can't remember which one it was, but one of these fish had a partially digested 14" burbot in its stomach, and still hit the lure. 

We have caught them with whitefish, pike, and lake trout in them.  A friend of mine up here fishes for burbot by jigging the biggest spoons in his tackle box, a six inch Matrix or Williams Wabbler.

Good luck,
Ted

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:17 PM »
WOW, Yukoner / Ted, way to go. :thumbsup:
Those are some giant burbot. :o

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:33 PM »
[quote Not sure why, but seems most people are not aware that burbot are voracious predators that actively pursue prey.  Can't remember which one it was, but one of these fish had a partially digested 14" burbot in its stomach, and still hit the lure. 

We have caught them with whitefish, pike, and lake trout in them.  A friend of mine up here fishes for burbot by jigging the biggest spoons in his tackle box, a six inch Matrix or Williams Wabbler
[/quote]

Most people think they feed off of the bottom, I caught one with a 12" trout hanging out of its mouth and still hit my jig.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Went out for a quick burbot bash last night with a friend.  Brought nine nice ones back, four of which ended up in our sink.

Dropper rig with pike skin strips and glow jigs were responsible.  One will be fried in butter and garlic for supper tonight, the rest into the freezer.

Crazy warm here for this time of year.  Ice not going to last long.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 30, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Brought six really nice ones off the lice last night.

The top 15-20 inches of ice is very hard, the next 10-15 is essentially slush.  That's it for me!

Ted

Offline pesca87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 30, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the link. Reelbait jigs with worms

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Got a supply of fresh pike skin for the burbot rig Saturday afternoon.

Actually, this gal went back down the hole, but there were others. Brought two home for some great eatin'. :)

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Apr 09, 2020, 07:13 PM »
They are really on the move now, Folks.  Not hard at all to get a good feed of fish to take home.

Dropper rigs and glow jigs are both hot.  Just add a strip of pike skin and jig slowly barely inches off the bottom.  Occasionally, pound the bottom with the spoon or jig, then dead stick the bait a bit of the bottom for 5-10 seconds before resuming the slow jigging.  The strike can come at any time during this sequence, but often when dead sticking, especially on the jig.

Process using whatever seasoning and method you prefer. Sometimes we steam it, or boil it in heavily-salted water to make Poor Man's Lobster.  Last night it was fried in cornmeal dressing. :)

The skeletons fry up nicely too, unless we use them for chowder stock.

Ted 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.