New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: outdoors recipes ......good eats for the sportsman  (Read 1377 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
outdoors recipes ......good eats for the sportsman
« on: Jan 02, 2024, 04:57 AM »
     right out  of granny clampettes cook book !!!!!

Roast Possum

Possum is easy to catch. Hit ‘em with a rock or a stick when they’s up a tree and you can have ‘em in your sack afore they knows it. The yellow-bellied goomers is too scared to fight back, and they play dead jest long enough to grab ‘em.

Boil up half a peck ‘o water or more, dependin’ on the size o’ your possum. Dunk the critter in boilin’ water an’ right away pull off his hair n’ scrape ‘em clean. Don’t forgit to cut off his feet, his head n’ his tail! Clean out his innards. Put the possum in a hefty jug o’ cold salty water and let ‘em soak overnight. Change his water the next day and start boilin’ him ‘til his skin lets a fork pop through it easy like. They ain’t no time for cooking possum ‘cause some is tougher than others. When the feller is jest right, dry him off and put ‘em in a bakin’ pan with a bit o’ pot likker (juice left over after cooking greens or other vegetables) ‘n some seasoned salt over his belly. When he is brown ‘n toasty, he is ready for slicin’ and servin’. Back home we fattens possum with ‘simmons (persimmons), and most often we eats him with yams.

tell me this  wouldn't have yer mouthwatering   on  superbowl  sunday this  year  .......

Offline Southbuffalojay

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: outdoors recipes ......good eats for the sportsman
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2024, 05:20 AM »
This is so funny! Thank you for posting this!
Even in dire times of no ice, good ole Trapper makes everyone laugh. Keep it up! We want more!
Irish South Buffalo Born and Bred!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2024, 05:24 AM »
Do you have grannies possum pie recipe.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2024, 05:37 AM »
Do you have grannies possum pie recipe.

ice  granny actually wrote  a cook book and it is  funny  thats where i  got that you  can  google it  ......

Offline Southbuffalojay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2024, 06:09 AM »
oh goodness - that is comical.
we need more!

Irish South Buffalo Born and Bred!

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2024, 07:46 AM »
ice  granny actually wrote  a cook book and it is  funny  thats where i  got that you  can  google it  ......

I was going to ask you where you live Trap, but I see you're in someone's head 24/7, even when they tell YOU to leave THEM alone   ;D ;D ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2024, 07:31 AM »

as gretchen wilson would  say  heeeeeeeeeeeeell yeah 

Possum Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 cup glazed huckleberries
3 shots gin or moonshine
1 possum
---if roadkill: make jambalaya
---if caught: proceed with recipe
1 pie crust
sliced carrots & cabbage to taste
Directions:
Cover a pan (or any implement you can put in a fire) with the bottom of your pie crust, and place the possum in it. Add the huckleberries and carrots, and shred the cabbage over it. Close up the pie and bake until the neighbors' dogs come sniffing around to see what the wonderful smell is, or until the fire department arrives (whichever comes first). Remove pie from fire/oven, slice, and enjoy.

https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/threads/grannys-recipes.114/

hope ya  enjoy these there really is a dessert  called akansa possum  pie  and it's  pretty good  looking

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:49 AM »
New Turkey Dressing

4     cups crushed dry bread
 1/2 cup sage
 1/4 cup onions
 1/2 cup celery
 1/2 cup uncooked popcorn
 1     teaspoon salt
 5    cups broth

Mix well; stuff turkey.  Cook 5 hours at 300 degrees Fahrenheit or until popcorn blows the arse off the turkey.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2024, 05:25 PM »

another  great book of good eats  for cheap

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2024, 11:49 AM »
My grandmother always told me how good her turtle soup was ....every time I asked her if she wanted me to bring her one she said NOPE.  LOL

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2024, 05:07 PM »
trouble  with snapping  turtles they are loaded  with  every  chemical known to man

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:16 PM »
I caught a big old turtle about a big around as a bushel basket one nite while bullhead fishing  Took him home and ate him   Only did that once

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:43 AM »
I caught a big old turtle about a big around as a bushel basket one nite while bullhead fishing  Took him home and ate him   Only did that once

hahahaha

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:02 AM »
i ate  turtle  when i was  young they were  good  but  there are so many health warnings  on them i won't eat one  now  ....i do pick them up out of the  road and  toss them  in the  ditch

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2024, 02:46 PM »
i ate  turtle  when i was  young they were  good  but  there are so many health warnings  on them i won't eat one  now  ....i do pick them up out of the  road and  toss them  in the  ditch

Yeah they live so long they absorb all the contaminants I guess ....I see a lot in the in the water I fish in the summer and of course crossing the roads during the laying season ....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:03 PM »
just remember ul ....possum innards are  just as good the second day

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:31 PM »
salmon  jerky

this is  very  easy  use  a   dehydrator . you   make  up a  simple  brine  ,and you can  change it to your taste  soak  it  over night then   dehydrate  it  .........  very easy and  impressive  results  .....i have also  done this  on  goose  and it's great .....

make  brine ,
 side of salmon, skin and pin bones removed
1/2c soy sauce
1T molasses
1T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2t freshly ground black pepper
1t liquid smoke
 slice  salmon  in thin  slices  about  5 inches  long  plave  in  zip lock  bags   pour  brine  in  bags , put in fridge  for  3  or  4  hours ,remove  drain well , pat  salmon  dry with paper towls  ,place in dehydrater .  takes  about 4 hours  with  my dehydrater  and i have to rotate the  trays   it should  be  chewy  not crispy and  if  should  not  be  sushi either  ....it's really  good   brown  trout works  great too

i  got this  recipe off the internet last year   i liked it because it was simple  but theres alot of recipes   and  the taste   range from  spicey to maple  ,give it a try

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2024, 01:25 PM »
Not a food recipe but a fishing recipe instead-  My uncle (God rest his soul) was a backwoods kind of guy.  As a kid, my parents would reluctantly bring me up to his camp in Remson to fish because of their early recognition that I may have a fishing addiction.  One time I saw a big, dead snapping turtle hanging in the air from an overhanging tree within casting distance of his dock.  I couldn’t smell it from where I was but the swarm of flies indicated that it was quite ripe.  I asked what that was doing there and he told be to cast my bobber and worm as close to it as possible.  I caught 5 different species of fish in that spot rather quickly including two new lake record tiger muskies one after the other. Yep, on a bobber and a worm. 
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.