Author Topic: Understanding Fish populations  (Read 1676 times)

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Understanding Fish populations
« on: Mar 28, 2019, 11:39 AM »
We have fished this lake for four years and every year prior to this season, we have caught at least one brown trout thru the ice every once a week outing sometimes 2 trout. Every trout was average 2lbs and 18-20 inches. every one of them... no bigger no smaller. So that is roughly 12-14 outing a year or approximately 40 outings total. So lets call it 40 trout, of which we kept 15 or so.

This year not one trout was caught. No-one else ice fishes there and there is some fishing pressure the rest of the year, but smallies are the target species in this lake, open water smallies are a hoot on this pond...plus its a pain to get to... tough/bad road in... so its not overfished... so why no trout this year? Same tackle and same strategies. Same baits... all wild caught bait. Whats going on...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Understanding Fish populations
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Lots of things happen we can't always explain, sometimes in the case of trout, the stocked fish may have had a die off, it's possible that F&G cut back on the numbers, it's possible there was a change in the bait and the trout followed them, it's part of the mystique that keeps us fishing.
The lake I spend the majority of my time on for years gave up trophy rainbows, in fact I've placed 1st and second in the rotary derby with fish from there, then something happened,  no more big trout, even small ones became scarce, white perch numbers even dropped, even the lowly slime darts became fewer and smaller,  this year I saw a big rebound, no monsters trout, but enough small ones for me to know that  next season could be fun, white perch have been off the chart,  I once again am catching monster picketel,something happened a few years back, I font know what, .. but it seems the lake made a full recovery,  maybe yours is going through a dry spell too...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Does the lake have smelt?

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Thanks for the insight and lets hope it comes around again, with them being 3 lbs and 22 inches next year  :o. No smelt in the lake...

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I would guess less stocking had taken place, or that the bait has taken a down turn from either too much predator pressure, or perhaps low water levels effected their ability to spawn. Basically what Roccus said makes sense.

I know for example on Winni they really try to balance the salmon/bows they stock and keep it in line with the amount of feed. Way before I was fishing Winni regularly I have heard that too many stocked trout caused the smelt pop to crash along with a few other factors. I believe at the time they could still trap smelt on Winni for sale, and dip them in the tribs so that definitely had an effect. But the result was skinny, ugly, underfed fish.

Did your lake recently get stocked with surplus salmon a few years back? If so I could see them really working over a small body of waters bait fish. If there’s no feed the trout will start focusing on plankton type feed, and I wonder if maybe that’s what’s going on here?

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I would guess less stocking had taken place, or that the bait has taken a down turn from either too much predator pressure, or perhaps low water levels effected their ability to spawn. Basically what Roccus said makes sense.

I know for example on Winni they really try to balance the salmon/bows they stock and keep it in line with the amount of feed. Way before I was fishing Winni regularly I have heard that too many stocked trout caused the smelt pop to crash along with a few other factors. I believe at the time they could still trap smelt on Winni for sale, and dip them in the tribs so that definitely had an effect. But the result was skinny, ugly, underfed fish.

Did your lake recently get stocked with surplus salmon a few years back? If so I could see them really working over a small body of waters bait fish. If there’s no feed the trout will start focusing on plankton type feed, and I wonder if maybe that’s what’s going on here?
very interesting, lots of science here. I know some lakes that got surplus salmon were hurt interesting theory about bows seeking alternate bait sources. as far as the brown trout, look at the full annual stocking report and compare numbers, maybe they changed it.
Salmonemia

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Yeah this type of thing can be frustrating. And we ponder if it makes sense or not.
This happened to one if my favorite all time trout ponds starting last year. For years it gave up awesome fish consistently. The all of a sudden, I can't catch even one trout past 2 seasons. I keep going back in hopes for the best to no avail. I know stocking has something to do with it, but I just can't believe there's not even one lonely trout to be caught. Something definitely is going on, just like your lake.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2019, 01:47 PM »
very interesting, lots of science here. I know some lakes that got surplus salmon were hurt interesting theory about bows seeking alternate bait sources. as far as the brown trout, look at the full annual stocking report and compare numbers, maybe they changed it.

I appreciate the kind words, but I’m a “computer scientist” not a “fisheries biologist”. I definitely picked the ring degree in college (history). This is all from conversations I’ve had with actual fisheries biologists, and a lot from this forum and MFF, and first hand observations.

My post is honestly just a guess. I’d love for someone who actually knows this stuff to come on here and tell me I’m wrong. I love learning about our favorite pastime.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2019, 02:32 PM »
I appreciate the kind words, but I’m a “computer scientist” not a “fisheries biologist”. I definitely picked the ring degree in college (history). This is all from conversations I’ve had with actual fisheries biologists, and a lot from this forum and MFF, and first hand observations.

All.of our guesses are based on experience, something some(not all) of these science nerds lack...we've all seen the cause effect of bait fluctuations, it's a delicate balance..I remember the days when they loaded Winning with salmon, as was stated skinny, malnutrition  over populated fish were the result . . Fresh or salt water, the same principle applies, fix the bait =fix the fish.

My post is honestly just a guess. I’d love for someone who actually knows this stuff to come on here and tell me I’m wrong. I love learning about our favorite pastime.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2019, 02:40 PM »
“Fix the bait = fix the fish”

That’s spot on. Naturally this is what would happen in a lake. If one or the other got too big in their population you would see a snap back in the other direction for the other species. Then eventually everything would level out after the population in question crashed. There’s way more that goes into this like water quality, change in biology of everything from tiny micro organisms to eagles and the like  which prey on “predatory fish”. Heck even sunlight, or lack there of can have a major effect.

It’s all about keeping a balance, and our bio’s do their best to keep it balanced.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Just an aside on Winni (and many other lakes) for those that don't know....
Smelt aren't the only forage. YOY (young of the year) white perch, typically are a big source of feed for trout, salmon, and other fish.
There's a lot of predator and bait species in there. Heck, when the salmon are stocked too small, (it happens more than one might think) they become prey.
Eggs of most species of fish and their juvenile stage become forage also. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Just an aside on Winni (and many other lakes) for those that don't know....
Smelt aren't the only forage. YOY (young of the year) white perch, typically are a big source of feed for trout, salmon, and other fish.
There's a lot of predator and bait species in there. Heck, when the salmon are stocked too small, (it happens more than one might think) they become prey.
Eggs of most species of fish and their juvenile stage become forage also.
[/quote
Which to my point is why the smelt are so important for trout and salmon as well as the other fish,  when the salmonoids. Turn to YOY,perch, blue gill etc. As their main food sorce, the numbers of those other fish go in decline due to excess predation,unfortunately,  that food sorce is limited, and during the summer months lives in a different water collum than trout and salmon...I know my go.to.lake was not the same when the smelt numbers diminished, now that they reboundrd, the fishing once again is top notch, I actually caught smelt on a jig last week, that hadn't happened in 5 years.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2019, 09:30 PM »
True, Joe.
It's a delicate balance to maintain and often times both predator and prey numbers swing conversely like a pendulum.
I'm not privy to smelt numbers on your lake, but for the last two years, Winni has had robust smelt numbers!
One very important benefit of smelt to both salmon and trout is the thiamine they provide. They're essential.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2019, 05:57 AM »
Nearly all NH lakes have no natural reproduction of trout and the only way is for the state to stock them. It's becoming apparent the state is stocking less and less. I can't blame them, they don't have the funding to increase raising and stocking. While the bass fisherman have banner years the trout fisherman will continue to feel the pain, unless a better mechanism to rear and fund the hatcheries is established nothing will change. It's well know that without stocking most lakes would be depleted of trout and salmon within 3-5 years.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2019, 06:30 AM »
True, Joe.
It's a delicate balance to maintain and often times both predator and prey numbers swing conversely like a pendulum.
I'm not privy to smelt numbers on your lake, but for the last two years, Winni has had robust smelt numbers!
One very important benefit of smelt to both salmon and trout is the thiamine they provide. They're essential.
CD!
Wel forgot an alternative food sorce ...senkos!  1/3 of the trout I catch these days has one in its mouth, in its gut or one having out its XXX...the one I got last week had a big lump in its belly,  I thought it was going to be a yellow perch,  nope senko... the rainbow I caught the week before, coughed something that resembled an owl pellet, upon further review..senko.

Ingesting foreign objects doesn't help.the cause either.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Didn't we lose a stocking facility last year or maybe the year before? That can't help overall stocking numbers. Some lakes probably draw a short straw.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2019, 11:09 AM »
The majority of browns caught all had rubber bait in their guts,,, some quite large,,

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2019, 01:49 PM »
CD!
Wel forgot an alternative food sorce ...senkos!
OUCH!  :(
I've caught and seen many trout with plastics in them also, Joe. It's very sad to see the damage and often times eventual death it does to the fish!
I don't pretend to know a lot about plastic manufacturing, but it seems to me that there are biodegradable "plastics" available (?) and could be more so.
The environmentalists are always preaching about how many decades it takes for plastic to degrade in our waters and land. The bottom of our rivers, lakes and ocean are littered with Senko like plastics.
IMO, "plastics" should have been addressed before lead sinkers.
Didn't we lose a stocking facility last year or maybe the year before? That can't help overall stocking numbers. Some lakes probably draw a short straw.
The only hatchery I'm aware of that was temporarily (maybe 5 years ?) shut down  was Powder Mill, in New Durham. I know the rearing of NH's salmon was transferred to the previously shut down federal hatchery in Nashua. I assume Powder Mill's trout rearing was transferred there also or divided up among the remaining NHF&G hatcheries?
Powder Mill was closed down for environmental reasons also.       

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.