Author Topic: Kokanee through the ice?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline The_Custodian

• IceShanty Rookie
Kokanee through the ice?
« on: Feb 10, 2022, 08:12 PM »
Has anyone pulled a Kokanee through the ice this year? My kids and I are searching for some new species we haven’t caught (Atlantic and Kokanee, crappie, walleye). We are going out Sunday one last time and would love to target one of the 4 but they really want to see a Salmon. We have tried Crystal Lake in Ellington 4-5x, but no such luck minus a pickerel and a rainbow.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kokanee through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2022, 08:28 PM »
Good luck and I hope you find some. I’m on Crystal fairly often and I have caught 1 Atlantic Salmon through the ice this year. They are hard to come by. I’ve experienced they usually hit jigs rather than live bite through the ice.

Either way, I and friends have caught many more salmon on Crystal on open water. The bite through the ice is tough.

A great time to go is during the fall when they are making their rounds around the lake jumping like mad men. Some huge hookjaw browns also work their way into the frenzy. My largest Brown in CT was caught out of one of the salmon schools in the fall.

Regardless, the salmon bite at Crystal is better open water and they definitely will hit any time between spring and fall. If you put in a day on the lake drifting worms or shiners there is a good chance you will pull in a salmon.

I don’t have any advice on Kokanee but I hope this helps you and your son catch a salmon (or a few).  ;D

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
Re: Kokanee through the ice?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2022, 06:24 AM »
Fished west hill many times and never saw a Kokanee come through the ice there.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.