Author Topic: Kid's First Trip Question  (Read 1220 times)

Offline bassMASSter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kid's First Trip Question
« on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Let me preface this by saying I'm not looking for anyone to burn their favorite spot.  I'm looking to take my son out for his maiden ice fishing voyage (he just turned 5) somewhere in the Ellington area.  Any recommendations for a place to go?  We moved here a couple years ago and I haven't been able to get out and explore local spots the past two winters #dadlife.  Don't really even care what we'd be catching, would just like to go somewhere with decent action if possible. 

Open to any other suggestions of guys with young ones when they've brought them out as well.  Want to make sure he enjoys it and isn't ready to go home a half hour after getting set up.

Thanks.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Kid's First Trip Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:17 AM »
i would recomend you go to local tackle shop.  ask them where you can catch a bunch of dink gills n stuff.  they are notorious for blabbing info.  first time you wantthem to catch fish. any fish.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:33 AM »
I don't have any suggestions on the Ellington area, as I'm in a different part of the state. I DO have three young daughters though (ages 8, 10, and 11) and I've successfully gotten all three of them into ice fishing over the years. My 11-year old is borderline obsessed (like myself). Here are some things that worked for us:
- Get the kid a sounder. My daughter calls her pink sounder "the best gift I've ever gotten" and she keeps it on her dresser at all times. I never knew that she would value a $1.00 weight so much. (She also thinks she's cool when she has it clipped onto her zipper.)
- Give him "chores" while you're setting up to keep him busy (shovel and scoop out the holes after you drill them, sound the holes, adjust the button, hand you bait while you're setting the tilts, etc.).
- Bring a small table and some sort of game to play while you're waiting for flags. I was playing rummy on the ice with my daughter last week, which was pretty cool.
- I'm not sure if you have a flasher, but kids have A TON of fun jigging if you can find a hot hole and get on top of a school. It's almost like playing a video game for them (and for us adults, I guess).
- Bring a thermos of hot chocolate and/or some candy. When all else fails, candy will keep the kid interested in staying on the ice.
- Definitely bring extra warm clothing: hat, gloves, socks, boots if possible. For some reason, little kids have a tendency to stick their gloved hands right into the holes or into the bait bucket.
- I'm not a huge electronics guy, but I've resorted to bringing the iPad with a movie downloaded on it (mainly when pike fishing). The kids will chill in the shanty and watch a movie if we're getting skunked. Music is also fun. A dance party can cure the boredom of no flags.
- Take the kid to the bait shop with you. It's part of the adventure, and most bait shops will give the kids a little treat.
- Ice skating while fishing is always fun for the kids, but you probably won't have good skating ice after last week's snow. It's also a PITA to get the kids' skates on and off, so I only allow skating while my wife is also in attendance.
That's about all I can think of for now. I will say, though, that ice fishing with the kids can be a lot of fun if you're prepared for it. Good luck!  :tipup:

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Great advice from Global Warming in CT

-Crystal Lake will probably be closest to you BUT it can be extremely slow out there. I fish it quite often and you will have a slammer day maybe twice a season. Usually don’t come away fishless but it’s not very much action.

-The Bolton Lakes (middle and lower) could be a good bet. I haven’t fished them on the ice in some time but those lakes, middle especially, are loaded with Swamp Darts (Slime Dart, Pickerel, Lake Snake whatever you want to call them). Also lots of small to medium bass. Could provide lots of action.

-Risley Reservoir in Vernon/Bolton is small but is another one packed to the teeth with Swamp Darts. Decent perch in there too. I’ve caught big bass here open water. A word of caution on Risley- the ice can be odd. Last year towards the end of the season I drilled a hole expecting 6”+ and I got 2” of good ice and 1” of slush. This was all while Crystal Lake, a much bigger and deeper lake, had 10+“ of ice in most areas. Two weeks ago it had 5” of ice, so all signs point to it being safe but check more often than you might at other spots.

-Morey Pond in Ashford has lots of Pickerel and Perch. Very shallow on boat launch side, expect to fish 6’ of water max. You see it from 84 when going by exit 72. Gets busy quick but most of these spots will.

If I think of anywhere else I’ll post it. Hope your son enjoys it and you can get some fish  :tipup:

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2022, 12:26 PM »
Good posts by Global Warming and Perch Man. I just wanted to repeat what the above poster said. Crystal Lake is too slow for kids. Known as the Dead Sea. Where ever you go, be careful with the weather we are having. Some places may erode quickly.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline AllBusiness

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2022, 01:36 PM »
My boys, now 12 and 9, started also at 5 years old.

Great advise from Global.

I'll just add one more thing for your kiddo......snow shoes. If you can, get him his own pair. Not only will he be able to walk in deeper snow better, his little feet won't fit down the hole.
Both my boys wore Tubbs snowshoes until they were older and grew. I put screws in them to grip the ice better. I'll take a pic later and post it.

Offline Likeanelly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:59 PM »
Great post everyone
Be sure to remember this is about him be prepared to leave if it’s “not happening” can’t force it if it’s meant to be you’ll know

Offline pepperdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Solid advice in this thread.

Broad Brook Mill Pond has lots of panfish/bass/perch etc.    Easy Access too.   

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2022, 04:13 PM »
Yes, agree with Broad Brook Pond is a good place, but just steer away from the left towards the dam, there is some current with moving water. Stay safe and have fun.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2022, 06:16 PM »
You'll find out quickly it's not the catch rates they are after.  Me and my 9 year old go often.  She likes jigging lakers and landed one saturday before last 32" all on her own.  I like her pb's more than my own.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2022, 05:52 AM »
Gotta raise em right Wilga!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.