Author Topic: Hurds Lake in Somers/Old Camp Aya Po  (Read 1604 times)

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hurds Lake in Somers/Old Camp Aya Po
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 10:21 AM »
I can't find anything on this water body in the Angler's Guide.  The property is owned by the Town of Somers.  I've found some information put out by the town that fishing and "passive non-motorized recreational activity is allowed but can't find anything on ice fishing specifically, or open/closed seasons.  Anyone know anything about this place? 
-Matt

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hurds Lake in Somers/Old Camp Aya Po
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:13 AM »
Yes I’ve fished it several times. Never ice fished it though. I was on it this summer and got skunked, talked to a guy who was walking around the neighborhood and he told me there was a fish kill there in 2019. Might take some time to recover.

Offline The_Custodian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:36 PM »
Fish there a lot this past summer and did well on some good size bass and catfish. Plenty of perch, blue gills and pickerel too. Ice fished there last year once and got a few perch and pickerel on tip ups and jig

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Fish there a lot this past summer and did well on some good size bass and catfish. Plenty of perch, blue gills and pickerel too. Ice fished there last year once and got a few perch and pickerel on tip ups and jig

Interesting. That’s good to hear.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:37 PM »
It gets a decent amount of pressure during the summer. I've iced it in the past with mixed success. It's close to home and usually freezes quick so I'll go there sometimes to get the cobwebs off my gear
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:01 PM »
It gets a decent amount of pressure during the summer. I've iced it in the past with mixed success. It's close to home and usually freezes quick so I'll go there sometimes to get the cobwebs off my gear

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm heading up north in a few weeks so looking to make one or two shakedown trips before then, and I'd like to get the kids out and hopefully they get bitten by the bug as well...which means more excuses for me to get out.
-Matt

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2022, 08:39 PM »
For those that are not familiar with Hurds, it is not a lake. It is a pond that is under 20 acres.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09:49 PM »
Lots of 11-13 inch pickerel in the pond. I have only caught dink bass too. It has good days and bad days. It’s not deep, I ice fish it a few times a year with the kids. Easy to get on/off with them when they were younger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.