Author Topic: What insulated flipover shelters fit in short bed Chevy truck?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
Bought a Jason Mitchell thermal x last year. Love it. I just wanna travel a couple hours and get a hotel. It doesn’t fit into my bed with tailgate up. I know I’m an idiot, found a hell of a deal on it used and rushed to get it ASAP before thinking about size. I have tonneau Cover. Don’t wanna carry it in hotel room. Want an insulated flip over, don’t have a lot of time to fish and when I get time I go. Don’t want a hub style and mess around with anchors if it’s windy. Just looking for a couple models of flip overs I should keep an eye out for. Gotta be 2 man.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What insulated flipover shelters fit in short bed Chevy truck?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Go to Clam's, Otter's, Eskimos web page they all have dimensions of their products.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Eskimo Sierra thermal should.  Otter cabin I think I have heard fits?

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Hawk, I drive a 2016 GMC Sierra with a tonneau cover and have the Eskimo Inferno wide-one. It clears the cover by about an inch. I have a thick rubber bed-liner under it that I didn't have to remove. It's close but it fits.   Lou

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Can you take the chairs off the base? I have this years model thermal X Yukon and fits in my short bed ford f150 with a tonneau cover. But I have to remove the seats and set them down in the sled.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Can you take the chairs off the base? I have this years model thermal X Yukon and fits in my short bed ford f150 with a tonneau cover. But I have to remove the seats and set them down in the sled.

I think he is saying the shelter is too long to shut the tailgate.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:13 PM »
Go to Clam's, Otter's, Eskimos web page they all have dimensions of their products.
yup. Should be pretty easy. I could tell ya if one of my clams would fit, but don’t have a clue how long your bed is. Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Eskimo Sierra thermal fits in a short bed of small truck

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I would look at either a Clam Nanook thermal or the Yukon thermal for two man houses. now if you want a one man house then I would go with either a Scout thermal or the Legend thermal. the legend would give you more fishing area then the scout. another one man would be one of the Kenai thermal houses either the regular thermal or the stealth thermal. only possible issue with a Kenai would be that the sled is too tall to fit under the cover. with all the other models listed you can remove the seats from the house to make them not as tall like was already stated but you can't remove it on the Kenai's.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Clam Nanook is the most space efficient two man I have used but it's a snug fit for two men.  I have the Clam Yukon X Thermal and it fits in my standard truck bed and with the seats out I can get my toneau cover down.  I tried the Otter with the side doors and it was a couple inches too long. 

Offline Ice Rambo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:17 PM »
I have the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lock the shelter to the pickup? I'm thinking of steel cargo mesh; but can't find any good products or was thinking of getting steel cable and running the steel cable through the shelter somehow (want to avoid cutting a hole in the shelter or was thinking of screwing an eyelet bolt into the shelter to run the cable through) then padlocking to the truck tie downs. I suppose someone could always cut the cable but hopefully, that would be enough of a determent. It's sad that you can't just trust that other people will leave your property alone.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:40 PM »
I use an eyebolt and cable with two end loops to fasten to the tie downs. I use the same locks (two locks-one key) and cable for my kayak (put an eyebolt in the prow). I keep the locks and cable in my truck box and it only takes a minute or so to set it up when it is needed. Not the strongest system, but it will make most thieves try somewhere else. I have a Legend Thermal (one man). It measures 50 inches by 38 inches. Is 24 inches tall and can fit in my truck sideways.

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Clam Nanook is the most space efficient two man I have used but it's a snug fit for two men.  I have the Clam Yukon X Thermal and it fits in my standard truck bed and with the seats out I can get my toneau cover down.  I tried the Otter with the side doors and it was a couple inches too long.

Think I’m gonna go with Yukon thermal x. I’m a bigger guy so like the extra room. Got one on hold I’m picking up Friday.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:59 AM »
I think he is saying the shelter is too long to shut the tailgate.

I guess I meant that it was in a Ford F-150. Fords have generally had about a 1.5-3" shorter box than all the equally model year chevys in my experience.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:01 PM »
Yeah that’s true my dad has a 13 f150. He has bit bigger cab. I have bigger bed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.