Author Topic: Showdown 5.6 Dual Beam problem (pics)(resolved)  (Read 2696 times)

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
Showdown 5.6 Dual Beam problem (pics)(resolved)
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Ok, my parents got me a new toy for my birthday yesterday but when I opened it up I found that it had little cracks around the outside of the screen where it connects to the casing. This doesn't affect the functionality of it at all but I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a seal there that may be compromised now or if this damage was just cosmetic. I already sent an e-mail to marcum and will be sending in the warranty card tomorrow so at least I'm covered. Just wanted your opinions and here are some pics, have more if necesary

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Showdown 5.6 Dual Beam problem (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:25 PM »
There is no way i would accept that product. Tell your parents to take it back to where they got it and get your money back right away.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:44 PM »
yeah thats not normal mine doesnt look like that

Offline 1 2 many

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Are you sure it's not a plastic cover you peel off before using? A lot of glass items have it stuck on just peel it off. If not sent it back ASAP.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:06 PM »
agree..could be a protective cover..

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:22 PM »
You might want to peel the screen protector off & see how it looks. I'm guessing that's the problem. Keep us posted.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:13 PM »
If its not a screen protector send it back !!!!!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I just got my unit last week.  I noticed some bubbling around the perimeter of the screen, but it's not as bad as yours.  Definitely let us know what Marcum says. 

Here are pics of mine for your reference:

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:28 PM »
This is deffinately not a screen protector and it seems to me that it looks like the adhesive they used to seal the screen, it oozed out on the screen towards the bottom and now its cracked, just got an email back from marcum and this is what it said

"Hello,

What you are seeing is not something to worry about. We will get that taken care of for you. We will need to get the unit into our Minneapolis facility for repair.

To get this repair started please send us the following info:
Full name
Daytime phone number
Complete Shipping address
Copy of the original receipt

Thanks
Mike Mesch
Customer Service
MarCum Technologies
888-778-1208"

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:34 PM »
woops, didn't mean to click reply yet, looks like the are going to do right by it and I sent them another email asking if this had to be done immediately as to whether or not i can fish till the end of the season with it seeing as it still works, thanks for the replies anyways and I will keep you updated

I just got my unit last week.  I noticed some bubbling around the perimeter of the screen, but it's not as bad as yours.  Definitely let us know what Marcum says. 

Here are pics of mine for your reference:

If i were you I'd send those pics to     [email protected]      (marcum's support email) and see what they say. They have been very helpful to me in the buying process and now it looks like they will be helpful for the repair process as well.

Online darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I have a 5.6 single beam that looks almost identical to yours. I've used it for two yrs. and have not had a problem with it.
I agree that it should not look that way, and would certainly let Marcum know about it, but don't think it will be a problem.
BUT; it's new, and if you aren't satisfied with it contact them and see what they have to say.
OK---see you did that!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:02 PM »
When I got my 5.6 DB, the screen did have some bubbles in it.  When I went fishing in a storm that had sleet, rain and snow, water got into the unit from the front screen.  When this happened, and it gets cold, the water freezes and makes it difficult to see.  Also the electronics are not working right now.  The automatic bottom finder will find the depth ok, but the numbers on the side of the screen are way off.  I could be in 13 feet of water and the screen does not start until 40 feet.  I reset the range or zoom and it fixes the problem right now, but it will be going back to Marcum in the next few weeks.

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:37 AM »
have the same unit for 4 years I have a little bit of what you have on youre unit its mainly cosmetic and dose not effect function of unit if it bothers you send it back I just didn't want to tie up my unit waiting to get it fixed plus the looks didn't effect the function :)

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Haven't been able to check email since last night but heres what i got after I asked if I can continue to use it untill ice is gone:

"Hi Devin,
I encourage you to fish with it as is for the duration of your ice season.  If you were to send it back now, it could be a week or more before we get it back to you.  We are out of stock on new ones, so there is no way for me to replace the one you have.  Please provide your address when you are ready to send it in and I will give you a Return Authorization number and shipping instructions.
Thanks

Chris Hansen
Customer Service
Marcum Technology
3943 Quebec Ave N
Minneapolis [New Hope], MN 55427
888-778-1208"

so I guess I'm going to use it for the rest of the season and then send it in when the ice is gone

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:51 PM »
What incredibly poor QC. Shamefull they would release it looking like that. Makes me appreciate my x67 even more...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Haven't been able to check email since last night but heres what i got after I asked if I can continue to use it untill ice is gone:

"Hi Devin,
I encourage you to fish with it as is for the duration of your ice season.  If you were to send it back now, it could be a week or more before we get it back to you.  We are out of stock on new ones, so there is no way for me to replace the one you have.  Please provide your address when you are ready to send it in and I will give you a Return Authorization number and shipping instructions.
Thanks

Chris Hansen
Customer Service
Marcum Technology
3943 Quebec Ave N
Minneapolis [New Hope], MN 55427
888-778-1208"

so I guess I'm going to use it for the rest of the season and then send it in when the ice is gone

Thanks for the update.  Looks like Marcum is cool with sending it in with no issues after the ice fishing season is done.  Now if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to get out on the ice, and perhaps give us all a review of the unit once you've given it a good run.  If your experience is like mine, you'll never fish without one again ;)

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Looks like Marcum is cool with sending it in with no issues after the ice fishing season is done.  Now if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to get out on the ice, and perhaps give us all a review of the unit once you've given it a good run.  If your experience is like mine, you'll never fish without one again ;)

will do on that review, I'm going out Saturday and see how it works. I was going to try it on my pond out back but I was very sick and while I was sick it was warm to about 55 degrees so the pond was a mess also. I just have a question on where I put the transducer. Do I have to put it below the lowest part of the ice or can it be around mid-depth in the hole

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:57 PM »
The transducer does not need to be below the hole.  This unit is strong enough to shoot thru some of the ice, just make sure it is near the bottom of the hole and should work fine.  Even with the problems that I have with mine, I would not go without it.  It is a great tool and you will really enjoy it.  If the fish are just on the bottom, play with the zoom setting.  You can actually watch the fish take the jig at times with this 1/2 inch separation.  Good luck, Nez

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:02 AM »
Looking forward to hearing back about your experience.  Like Nez says, it'll shoot through ice so it doesn't have to be all the way down.  In fact I will often use mine on top of the ice to find the depth I want before drilling a hole.  Just make sure the hole is clear of slush so there's no interference with the transducer.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:45 AM »
mine works well can use it in 140 ft of water with just a little adjusting .. but when your that deep the zoom takes alot of fooling around with.. also in 10ft or less its a little iffy but from anywhere from 15 ft to 100 ft that thing is killer.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:51 AM »
People keep asking do I have to put the transducer at the bottom of the hole or part way down ?
It has a long transducer cord . Why not put it below the bottom rim of the hole and don't worry about it.
You can take it out if you hook a large fish,you woulldn't have to bother if all you are catching is crappies and
the like.
I had a lot of problems with my dual beam when I got it. The sonar part wasn't connected to the battery case
so I had to improvise. The battery charger didn't work right but they sent me  a new one and seems OK for the time being.
I used it in 154 feet deep water last week. I  could see my 3/8 ounce and 20 inch Laker Trout when they came by.
Lot of lookers but only 2 takers
Does anybody have  an opinion what Lake Trout can see if anything at that depth ?

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:05 PM »
well I didn't get a chance to go out fishing saturday but I went out earlier today and all I have to say is wow, this thing is a game changer. I went to a small local lake where I have only caught probably 5 fish through the ice since I started fishing, today alone I caught that there. It allowed me to tell what parts are deeper and also where the fish are in the water column. Today I managed 2 firsts as well with my Showdown: I caught my first bass through the ice and it measured 16" and the next first is that I caught a golden shiner that measured 8". I managed a few gills but only one that was worth keeping. I love how you can see your jig and your sinker seperately and also I like that there isn't a delay from you jigging and the display.  Like many of you have said before I will now say: I won't go fishing without my Marcum

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Congrats on the firsts!  Sounds like you had a great day.  Glad you were able to get out and give your Showdown a run, thanks for giving us a report on your experience. 

I usually use mine to mark fish around 30' while fishing an overall depth of about 110'.  It works great for these depths, but I haven't used it much in shallow.  What depth were you at?

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:45 AM »
Congrats on the firsts!  Sounds like you had a great day.  Glad you were able to get out and give your Showdown a run, thanks for giving us a report on your experience. 

I usually use mine to mark fish around 30' while fishing an overall depth of about 110'.  It works great for these depths, but I haven't used it much in shallow.  What depth were you at?

I tried a few different spots, from 8' to 11', it worked great for shallow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Mine won't work that shallow

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:37 PM »
We fish a pond thats only 5-7 feet deep....this year once i put the transducer thru the ice it was only reading 4-6'.....would barely pick up at 4 feet but at 6 would show jig and the perch coming up to jig....i have the showdown troller so there might be a difference, not sure.....any thing deeper than 6 feet it works like a charm.....had a problem with the buttons the last week i fished....sent an email to marcum and they said to send it back....got it back in 5 days.....GREAT customer service ....will recommend Marcum to anybody !!!!!!!

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2014, 03:45 AM »
well, I sent it out about a week ago and I already got it back all fixed up. Grreat and quick customer service, very easy to deal with. Looking forward to years of great fishing with my marcum

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.