Author Topic: HELP NEEDED - Looking to rebulid a wrecked Otter Lodge XT650 flip over  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
I have a wrecked Otter Lodge XT650 that needs a new pole system (the hinges are still good) and maybe a new cover depending if I can patch it all back together.  Does anyone know what poles to buy?  The Otter website has a page for replacement parts, but the diagram is kind of confusing in terms of what part numbers go where and I don't want to order all the wrong stuff.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Make a call to Otter ..probably the best source for information and parts .   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
As long as you're looking to go direct to Otter for parts I'd contact their customer service and work directly with them. They can help identify exactly what you have and insure you get the right stuff.

Email: [email protected] or call toll free  (877) 466-8837.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
Problem is that the this is the Lodge XT650, the older version of the lodge.  I guess I should've specified that.  The poles are all discontinued and they won't give me a for sure answer as to whether or not the poles for the new Lodge XT will fit.  I'm having a hard time getting measurements to compare the two.  I wish I hadn't tossed my poles so I had something to measure against.

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
Now Otter is unwilling to work with me unless I send them pictures.  Seeing as I am shipped out, I have to see if the wife is willing to drag it out of the barn and take pictures for me.  This should be interesting.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I find it hard to believe they don't have the specs to compare two of their own models....its not like yours is that old. Best customer service in the business.............. ....................

Sad they're giving you the run around. Aren't they just using 3/4 and/or 1" aluminum square tube

Catchin' Fish

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Alex I would measure everything you still have...ie ...yer sled so otter can match up with what they have in inventory good luck or try the internet to piece together another one

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
you could probably rig em up with a pipe bender and conduit.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
maybe buy a used one the same model

Offline patchman5401

• IceShanty Rookie
An option you may want to consider (depending on the condition of your tent) is the appropriate model CanvasCraft (tent&poles) for your Otter sled. May be easier than trying to repair your tent and replacing/making poles! A high quality product that should last for years and excellent customer service.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
May be change the topics heading to reflect your make and model with the production year if you can recall. I am sure that there are several members with this shelter that will become more active once the season gets into full swing and start catching up on new topics.Good luck ..may have to bump the thread once in a while to keep it from getting losts..some pictures might help too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
So I downloaded the instruction manual to help find exactly what parts I need for the pole system.  Turns out most of the stuff for the XT650 is discontinued.  Looking at the measurements though, the new XT Lodge has the same dimensions.  There are replacement pole system parts available in stock for the newer version.  So now I am torn between spending close to 300 bucks on a legitimate Otter pole system or trying to fabricate one out of electrical conduit and pipe locks.  Has anyone here actually used conduit?  I am curious as to how strong it is compared to a commercial pole system.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
So I downloaded the instruction manual to help find exactly what parts I need for the pole system.  Turns out most of the stuff for the XT650 is discontinued.  Looking at the measurements though, the new XT Lodge has the same dimensions.  There are replacement pole system parts available in stock for the newer version.  So now I am torn between spending close to 300 bucks on a legitimate Otter pole system or trying to fabricate one out of electrical conduit and pipe locks.  Has anyone here actually used conduit?  I am curious as to how strong it is compared to a commercial pole system.

Whats Otters return policy ..if its liberal I suggest getting the poles from them ..did you save the hardware before you disposed of the hoop poles. As far as making new poles that may be a dauting task especially if your unfamiliar with measuring and making the bends in all the right places .

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
The first ice shack my dad ever had was made with conduit and canvas. I still have it, it's over forty years old , still in good shape and still works. It has been used in some very windy conditions as well.

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
Whats Otters return policy ..if its liberal I suggest getting the poles from them ..did you save the hardware before you disposed of the hoop poles. As far as making new poles that may be a dauting task especially if your unfamiliar with measuring and making the bends in all the right places .

I have a friend who is an electrician and very skilled with bending EMT conduit.  He's convinced it's perfectly doable.  In the worst case scenario, if bending the conduit and making the first telescoping hoop goes south, I'll only be out one stick of conduit and I'll just pony up and buy the expensive Otter poles.  I figure the hardest parts will be keeping the tubing 'clocked' correctly for the pole locks and making sure everything telescopes properly.

All of this of course stems from me being too damn frugal, stubborn, and believing I can do it myself.  It probably won't look nearly as good, work quite as well, or be as light, but I'll be able to say I did it.  hahaha

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Conduit is very strong, built my sled out of it and I can stand on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.