The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: clocks ticking  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
clocks ticking
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Wondering if it is about that time to start getting the fly fishing gear out and start tying them flies. Been learning some new ties in a class on Monday nights. Looking forward to this season.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
Re: clocks ticking
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Many lakes have a very large amount of ice on them ranging from 9 to 14 inches.  This does take longer to go away.  You do have to use your head and need to really watch the edges, you may need a board to get on.  The other area you need to watch is old holes.  A 8 inch hole can turn into a 12 or 14 inch hole very quickly d/t water running into holes.  I'm hoping for 2 more weekends.  Nez

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:20 PM »
You should already be tying flies; says the guys who isn't. ;) That said I have tied up a pretty huge inventory. Doesn't look like any more Arctic blasts coming but some lakes in the Northeast should be good this weekend (depending on rainfall) and then it looks like another reasonably cold spell early March. As stated above you need to use your head and also your spud; be safe everyone!

Offline Hefe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Well in the Harrisburg area, forget about anymore this season. Local lakes that had 8-10 inches have 3-4 ft of open water on the edges.  That was before the lovely 50 degree rain we are currently getting. I was going to get in some open water nymphing this weekend but calling for snow. Just crazy weather...

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:57 AM »
Nez, I hate to say it but this season is winding down fast. You could have 8" of what looks like good ice but by noon you could be standing on bubble gum ice. I've seen it. Warm rain, and 50 degree temps are ice melters. The following week is going into the 50's and 60's with sunshine. This weekend is going to be tricky but after the weekend, the ice is going to be rotten. I'm pretty much gonna clean and pack my ice gear and start working on my soft water gear.

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:37 AM »
I was hoping to get out one more time this weekend but its not looking good, I'm not one for taking a big risk for a few fish. :-\ Lots of rain and 50s and 60s this week here. Guess its time to clean up my ice gear and put it away. On a good note though I'll have to start getting the bass and trout rods ready and get the kayak down and rigged up again. Won't be long and the crappies will be biting again!  ;)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:55 AM »
with the luck I've been having this winter, I'd get to the lake... fish all day in the rain while being harassed by dinks and catching nothing... then on the way back to shore I'd fall through 8" of solid slush! na, pass.

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I've been loving the ice this year and been also having  a good year. I spent all last winter in and out of the hospital getting chemo. I feel very lucky to have had such great weather and ice to enjoy this sport. don't anyone ever take this for granted because your life can change in a blink of an eye. i'm a witness to that.

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:51 AM »
Think i'm calling it a year as well.  I'd have to take my kids with me this weekend & I'm just not taking a chance with them.

All & all - it was a good season.  Didn't get into anything toothy this year, but the gills, perch, & rainbows made for a fun season none the less. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Builder, ain't it the truth. I'm glad your chemo work out for you. I wish you a long and healthy life. I've been having one of those kind of years myself. Not cancer but a week before Christmas I had a heart attack. I'm in good shape, pretty tough but I got high blood pressure. I got a heck of a warning and not much damage. No sowing down, can't wait to get the kayak on the water. Enjoy it like it's your last.

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:16 PM »
yea spider 1 you don't realize how short life can be till something like this backs you into a corner. glad you're a survivor like me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.