The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pop-Up Shanty recommendation  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Doublehaul85

• IceShanty Rookie
Pop-Up Shanty recommendation
« on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Anyone have recommendations on a pop-up shanty? I am not looking for the built-in sled style, and it seems like a lot of brand preference. I will hopefully be picking one up this year. I had already been looking at Shappell and Eskimo. Thanks!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for. - Old Man and the Sea

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pop-Up Shanty recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:24 AM »
eskimo because the screw downs are best. but i dont like the color red for gear etc for some reason. i would look at the otters.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:36 AM »
What kind of fishing do you primarily want the shanty for? Popups are great if you are fishing with more than 2 people and don't want to move. They are cheap, roomy, good in wind, easy to carry, etc., but they are not nice if you want to chase fish around. I have an eskimo popup that I use only a couple times a year and I do recommend eskimo for the same reason as bootstrap, the screws are so much better than any other brand. I also have a 2-man flipover that is much better to fish out of, but it is heavy and really hard to fit in my small SUV. The suitcase popups are nice if you are fishing solo and want to move around more, but they can also go flying in the wind.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:38 AM »
I don't have one but my buddy has a QuickFish 2 that I like. It's not insulated but with the heater was plenty warm and blocked the wind. It's 'cozy' with two people, definitely could not do three, but would be plenty of space for one. I'm debating buying one at the end of this season but haven't decided yet. I've seen it down to $119 on Farm and Fleet, it's at $125 right now and sold out. Also it's only 18lbs. It's pretty easy to put up and take down but as others have said, you don't really move it once it is up.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/533085-eskimo-quickfish-2-portable-ice-shelter.html

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:52 AM »
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 4 and an Eskimo Quickfish 3i. Both are good shelters and Eskimo anchors screw in easily.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Whatever you decide insulated is worth the extra$$ my next one will be.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Quikfish 3i

Offline Doublehaul85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I'm not sure I even know what kind of fishing I like yet! Just about all the fishing I have done so far has been setting up a tip-up spread and jigging around there. The shanty is mostly just to shelter from the wind and whatever bad weather if we decide to just hunker down. All of the shanties that I have used so far have been uninsulated, and my Little Buddy heats them just fine. That said, I don't think I have been out on a truly brutal day yet. I don't think I will be one of the guys that runs all over the place looking for fish, as I don't have a good means of quick transport yet. So for now, mostly picking a spot and sticking to it, or minor movement.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for. - Old Man and the Sea

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:36 AM »
We use a clam thermal refuge. It's by far the best one I've ever used. It's quick and easy put up take down and when the sun hits it , it warms up very quickly without out a heater. We where on Champlain this yr when the air temp was 5 and with the wind chill it was about -30 and with a mr buddy heater we where fishing in our sweatshirts in the clam.
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:01 AM »
I'll second the sentiment above that you should just pay the extra for the insulated shelter...it probably doesn't make a huge deal most of the time, but on those cold days you'll certainly be thankful you spent a few extra dollars.

The other thing I'd suggest is to think about how many people you're looking at having with you, and make sure you get one big enough that you won't be too cramped. I'd recommend a pop up if you're not constantly chasing fish, as you get a little more elbow room for the weight of the shelter you're dragging out there.

Offline Symbion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I bought the Otter Pro Resort six sided hub in December and it comfortably fishes 4 or 5 people.  When there's just two of us it's borderline ridiculous how much room there is.  The structure feels well constructed and strong.  It comes with 10 quality anchors like the eskimo shelters and plenty of anchor points on the tent and skirt.  The downside is it's 50 pounds or so and is no fun to drag through the snow.  I think they make two smaller sizes if you want to go that route.  Only issue I had was the first time I set it up I noticed the zipper was broken so I contacted Otter and they replaced the shelter.  I've used the Clam bigfoot XL4000 for the previous 4 years (and still do when I'm solo) which is a decent shelter.  It doesn't feel as sturdy as the otter but has worked just fine.  I bough all new eskimo anchors, I think the clam ones are garbage.  I've always used thermal so I cant help you there but it gets real toasty and you appreciate it when it's single digits.  Good Luck!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Anyone have recommendations on a pop-up shanty? I am not looking for the built-in sled style, and it seems like a lot of brand preference. I will hopefully be picking one up this year. I had already been looking at Shappell and Eskimo. Thanks!

Whatever you choose, I would recommend an insulated model.

I picked up an Eskimo QuickFish 3i at the beginning of the season for two hundred bucks.  I love it!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:41 PM »
One other recommendation I'll make now...wait. You're probably not going to have many more shanty days this season, and you'll there will be pop ups on Craigslist which you can get for next to nothing in the summer.

Pick a nice 90 degree day and buy some ice fishing gear...you'll probably get some real bang for your buck.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:31 PM »
I'm quite pleased with my Eskimo Quickfish 3i. 
I also have a 1-man flip shanty.  I've been fishing solo for years.  I consider the Eskimo to be an investment in my social life  ;D

It works ok for 3 people jigging.  It's really nice for 2 people.

Insulated fabric holds the heat nicely, and doesn't drip from condensation.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I'm quite pleased with my Eskimo Quickfish 3i. 
I also have a 1-man flip shanty.  I've been fishing solo for years.  I consider the Eskimo to be an investment in my social life  ;D

It works ok for 3 people jigging.  It's really nice for 2 people.

Insulated fabric holds the heat nicely, and doesn't drip from condensation.

You totally nailed it!  Crawling out of the anti-social 1-man flip can be good for your social life and mental health.   :)
And, the QF3i is great for two and OK for three.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:03 AM »
I have a Dick's Jawbone which works well for 2, is snug but doable for 3, uninsulated but anchors are as good as Eskimo and inexpensive price point.
Also just upgraded from Clam Dave Genz legacy Fish Trap and switched to Eskimo Wide One Inferno1 man flipover, WOW what a difference!

The jawbone is good as an entry level pop up and construction quality is really good, much better than the KillZone I bought years ago that only lasted 4-5 seasons and was cheaply constructed.

Offline Rod Bender 101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I have an Otter Lodge that is insulated and I love it, and it is well constructed, I don't have a problem with the hold down screws,
another good point is that they make the carrying case big enough so that you don't have to struggle to get the pop-up
back in the case.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I picked up a Quickfish 5i for my first shanty this year and it is pretty nice IMO. It's huge, but that's an advantage when I'm taking my kids with me. It'll be ridiculous how much space my friend and I will have next year when it's just the two us on a trip.

Offline Doublehaul85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:42 AM »
One other recommendation I'll make now...wait. You're probably not going to have many more shanty days this season, and you'll there will be pop ups on Craigslist which you can get for next to nothing in the summer.

Pick a nice 90 degree day and buy some ice fishing gear...you'll probably get some real bang for your buck.

Hit the nail on the head there. Definitely going to look into Spring and Summer for this one.

Offline Doublehaul85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:44 AM »
I picked up a Quickfish 5i for my first shanty this year and it is pretty nice IMO. It's huge, but that's an advantage when I'm taking my kids with me. It'll be ridiculous how much space my friend and I will have next year when it's just the two us on a trip.

The 3i vs 5i is what I am currently looking at. I think the 5i is worth the extra money considering I like to fish with friends. And I like to be cozy with friends, but maybe not THAT cozy... lol

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Costco has a decent looking popup for $99 right now.  There were only a few left yesterday. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:25 AM »
i wish they made a good insulated camo hub so i could use it on land for hunting etc too. maybe they do?

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Hit the nail on the head there. Definitely going to look into Spring and Summer for this one.

Last July I got a 10" auger, a 6x6 insulated pop up, an FL-18, large sled, and a Mr Heater for 390. Sold the auger in January for 290. I'm thinking I'm never going to buy ice fishing gear in the winter again.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I have the 3i and will admit it’s an amazing shanty but a bit of a pain to fold up and get back in the bag when I’m solo. Can’t imagine one twice the size is any easier. If you regularly have more than 3 people with ya sure but if not I’ve packed four people and a dog in mine with room for a heater and 1 jig hole. Hope this helps good luck

Offline Doublehaul85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2018, 05:09 AM »
I have the 3i and will admit it’s an amazing shanty but a bit of a pain to fold up and get back in the bag when I’m solo. Can’t imagine one twice the size is any easier. If you regularly have more than 3 people with ya sure but if not I’ve packed four people and a dog in mine with room for a heater and 1 jig hole. Hope this helps good luck

That does help. I think I need to find a place that carries them and see if I can just sit in them and go from there. I can speculate all I want, but once I actually sit in one, I think that will move the decision-making process along.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:10 AM »
That’s probably your best bet. The clam Bigfoot if also a nice option in the same price range. My friend got the xl one and it’s huge. Still kinda the same issue with packing it up by yourself. Also do yourself a favor and get the drill attachments for the spikes. Makes setup time take half as long and keeps your shanty from blowing always when setting it up in a stiff breeze with numbing your hands. One of the best things I’ve purchased for ice fishing as of late.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I get a good laugh at you guys with your tent style shanties on a windy day.  I have a clam scout and a Yukon if room needed . I don't care how hard the wind is blowing.  ;D

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2018, 09:02 PM »
I regualary fish in a friends frabil version of your clam and it’s not that spacious or comfortable. Especially for the price. I’m happy with my tent even in the wind. it fits in my suv better and doesn’t weigh as much. To each there own but I already have a jetsled. Don’t need 2

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:38 AM »
this year i bought a shappell 6500. after using a clam 2000 i would stay with the shappell....the zippers work quite well thank you. i have used it 8 trips now and although i fish mostly alone with two its still quite roomy....and i pack a LOT of gear that goes inside. i dont believe you can go wrong with this. i bought it at sportsmans guide.
I am haunted by waters...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.