The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: which hand auger  (Read 7316 times)

Danny Moore

which hand auger
« on: Oct 14, 2002, 09:19 AM »
I'm looking for a new 8" hand auger,one that cuts fast.What make is the best? where i could get one. any suggestions would be great. I live in Massachusetts.

John Pemberton

Re: which hand auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2002, 02:25 PM »
Danny,
I got a strikemaster lazer hand auger last year and love it, blows right through the ice. I also live in mass and could'nt find one around here so I ordered through thorne brothers I believe. Used to have an eskimo and there was no comparison to the lazer.

JohnP

danny moore

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2002, 04:14 PM »
John,
What city do u live in in MASS.I live in Pittsfield.I fish onota lake the most.I might buy a ice hut kit.What fish are you mostly after.

danny

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2002, 04:17 PM »
Also what site was the thorne brothers,where you ordered your auger?  

-thanx

John Pemberton

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2002, 09:13 AM »
Danny,
I live in Uxbridge and fish local ponds for just about anything, I really like trout fishing and jigging for perch.
As far as the auger goes thorne brothers web site is thornebros.com I also saw them at cabelas.com.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2002, 05:45 AM »
Danny I've used Strikemaster,Jiffy,etc. and in my opinion the HT Velocity auger is the best out there. I use the 8" model and it cuts easier and faster than any hand auger I have used.It has the European (offset) handle which I found to be easier to use and the handle folds down for transport. The blades cannot be resharpened (it's a one piece head that bolts on) but you can purchase new heads. The head's cutting edge is curved and I believe made of chromium. The auger goes for about $100 and repacement heads are about $40. It's pricey but you have to compare the Velocity and the Strikemaster(same size) side by side-I did and was shocked.
Those who are brave are free ..

dan moore

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2002, 11:14 AM »
lonewolf,
what site was it on?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2002, 12:05 PM »
You can see it at www.htent.com . I believe Cabelas carried it last season if not www.peterson-outdoors.com carries them.I don't think Cabelas carried the replacement head but Petersons does. I bought the spare head "just in case".

dan moore

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2002, 07:18 AM »
im getting the 8" high velocity auger at cabelas for $90.00

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2002, 08:48 AM »
dan I think you will be very happy with your choice.Let me know what you think of it.  LoneWolf >))))>

dan moore

« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2002, 07:59 AM »
they have the augers back on cabelas now. the prices are $69.99-$89.99 according to size.      no ice here in mass. just warm weather.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2002, 12:40 PM »
Just for your info Nils Master is now offering a power auger.I called and spoke with the rep. and he says the 8"Velocity hand auger will bolt up to the power head.The neat thing is you can bring the handle with you and if there is any problems you unbolt the power head and use the handle.This is also great for early and late ice-two augers in one.LoneWolf

dan moore

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2002, 10:13 AM »
lonewolf,
Is there a website for the power head.

dan moore

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2002, 10:18 AM »
also do you know the price of this unit.does the powerhead come in different hp.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2002, 10:28 AM »
I talked with JP (Nils rep) this morning. It comes with a 25cc (I think ...maybe 27cc) Tanaka motor, and the unit weighs 17lbs. He says he was cutting 12" of ice in 5 sec last year with the prototype. I posted  some info on this on another post today. The retail on this unit is $475, but I don't think you will see the units for much less then $450 unless you know somebody.
JP lives about 15 minutes from me, so I'm going to go out with him and try it when we get some ice. I'll let you know how it does.

I will also stop and pick up a spec sheet and post it for you.

JP's website it http://www.nilsmaster.com

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2002, 12:31 PM »
dan I checked with the same rep as Esox (on Monday) and the whole unit is $475-powerhead alone is $375.JP said it is 1.5hp motor and 20:1 gearbox.As Esox stated JP said it went thru a foot of ice in 5 seconds during testing last season.Keep us posted Esox!  LoneWolf  

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2002, 12:57 PM »
Wolfy,
Will do. I'm trying to get a peek at it in the next week or two, but my schedule is not good right now. Maybe during lunch one day. I won't be able to cut with it. but I can look at the construction.

I've met JP a few times and he is a good guy and won't lie to you. So, I'm expecting good things here.

I'll keep you posted.

dan moore

« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2002, 03:00 PM »
would it be possible to attach the high velocity blade to another power auger head?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2002, 04:20 PM »
I'll let you know when I see one. Even if it will work, the RPM's will be an issue. The Nils has a higher RPM then the chipper styles. With the chipper blades you need the HP becauce it's about force. With the shaving blades it's about speed. You don't need to lean on shaving blades to get them to cut, just gentle pressure to keep contact with the ice.

The lack of HP does not worry me. Simple because I know how little force is needed on my hand auger.

I'll let you know all about what I find on my demo.

dan moore

« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2002, 12:04 PM »
would it be possible to attach other makes of blades to the nils master power head.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2002, 12:40 PM »
dan I think you should go to www.nilsmaster.com and e-mail jp with any questions. This way you'll get the straight scoop on everything. Good luck !        LoneWolf

Maze1162

« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2002, 07:49 PM »
Dan,
 I have a Strikemaster Lazer hand auger and I can attest to how good it works.  I have a back injury and have had NO trouble cutting ice fast and easy.  My 12 yr old son was also using it with no trouble at all.  I have cut any thicker than 11" with it yet but how much do you need to test it with?  It stays very sharp and the sharpener they sell is about as simple to use as it can get.  You won't be sorry with this one.  As for the others, I can't say.  The larger the cutting edge the better and the more of them the better, less effort on your part.  Good luck and have  fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.