The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo gas auger  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Eskimo gas auger
« on: Jan 22, 2003, 03:01 PM »
I'm thinking of buying an Eskimo gas auger with an 8 inch drill and would like some feedback and to what is better the 2 hp or 3 hp.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

fishinnutinwis

Re: Eskimo gas auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2003, 03:10 PM »
i have to recommend a JIFFY--mines 16 yrs and still going

uncle_Ern

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2003, 03:22 PM »
I have an Eskimo 3hp. with a nine inch auger (for all the big pike here in Northern NY). I've had it for about 15yrs. and it was used when I  got it. Except for messing up the auger when I hit a rock in shallow water it has never let me down.

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2003, 04:46 PM »
Mark,
          It all depends on what your fishing for and how many holes you are going to drill everytime out. I went for the big 3hp eskimo with the 10in. bit and weighs 45lbs, then last year i bought the 2hp lazer with 7 and a half inch bit and weighs 21lbs. I thought bigger was better at first but not anymore,lugging that big eskimo around got old quick. The only time I use it anymore is when I know for a fact I'm fishing strictly for big pike and not running around jigging. Basically they all get through the ice just depends on how much fatigue you really want at the end of the day. I would stay with the lighter ones, good luck to you
                            Tight lines  :'(

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2003, 05:31 PM »
I've got an eskimo 3 HP "earthquake" model. It comes with an ice and an earth auger. It's a little cold blooded but once it gets warmed up, I'd match it up with about any auger I've been around. One thing if your looking for something light don't go with the 3 HP. Hope this helps.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2003, 06:37 PM »
 Yesterday A salesperson was answering this very question.  He stated that due to epa regs the 3hp is actually 2.7hp  so he felt that the 2hp was better.  I have had a 2hp strikemaster chipper for years.   I don't know if his concerns were justified I mean wouldn't a 2hp also be restricted?
  I would have to recomend the 2hp  It will do everything that you need and weight alot less.  A major concern when moving around alot in the early and late season.

A question for owners of augars other then strikemaster.  How wet and how much bite do your augars transfer to you?  My augar brings water up but does not spay higher than my boots.  Just wondering. :)

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2003, 11:10 PM »
I have an eskimo shark with a 10" drill. I got it this year for   x-mas. I like it more and more every time i use it. It starts easy runs smooth and cuts fast. It has the new 2.5hp motor that cranks right up.

fishfinder1

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2003, 01:48 AM »
I have an Eskimo 8" 2Hp Barracuda. Had it since last year. Starts right up and cut through the ice nice. I filled the Tank and have been out 3 times since and still have fuel after drilling probably 40-45 holes. I really like it. I also got a good deal on it $180 regularly $280. Bass Pro Shop had it on display and gas cap was missing. ONe call to Eskimo and had it within a week at no cost. Also wanted to no if I needed anything else for it that was missing.

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2003, 03:52 AM »
i have a 3hp jiffey it cuts a 8inch hole.i also have a 2hp strike master which also cuts a 8inch hole. the 3hp cuts a little faster but the 2hp carries much better. i don't own a eskimo but they sure look nice and people who have them seem to be happy.    i say pick one you like take care of it and you will be ok  just my 2 cents.

Offline wiggie116

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2003, 03:53 AM »
mark,
i bought a 2 horse, 10 inch srikemaster last year, it's light, 23 0r 25 pounds. Purchased it at wal-mart for two hundred dollars, its great. Works fine for what i do (5-10 holes). I used a eskimo the other day, one thing i liked was how fast it drilled compared to mine, but i can wait a few seconds for $150
MAW

Master_of_Fish

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2003, 09:32 AM »
Bigger engine, more weight. A few holes, little engine. Lots of holes, big engine.

Cheers Steve

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2003, 11:04 AM »
I have a Tanaka 8".  It starts easily and has run well over the 15 years that I have had it.  I burn premium gas and Optimol Opti II oil in it.  The Opti II oil is mixed at 100:1 and is smokeless.  The company warrants any 2 cycle engine that it is used in at the recommended 100:1 mix.  I have tried other oils, but all of them smoke the shack up.

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2003, 03:23 PM »
So what did you go with?  Ice augering minds want to know...

And how did it do last weekend?
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

prairiedogdale

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2003, 09:04 AM »
Mark,  

I've got a 3 hp Eskimo Barracuda wi/ an 8" auger.  It absolutely chews thru the ice.  Went thru ice this past w/end in excess of 3 feet.  I don't know the weight on it, but to me it seems quite light.  I don't have any experience with the 2 hp model so I don't know the difference between the two. All I can say is you won't be unhappy wi/ the 3 hp Eskimo.  ;) :'( :'(

BTW how did you make out.  Did you buy one?

ppdale

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2003, 09:59 AM »
I have an Eskimo 2 horse that is now about 15 years old.  it originally came with a 12" auger, that i sold, and bought a 7" jiffy bit.

i have only had two problems with it.

about 6 years ago, one of the two pins that connects the piston to the connecting rod let go, and scraped up the cylinder wall, and seized the motor.  i had the piston pulled, and new rings put on - $50

just last week, i had some problems gettin it started, and had to have the diaphram replaced.  $15 plus labor

guy at the repair shop, said that the motor stil ran strong, and should run forever, as long as i take care of hit.  he couldnt tell that the cyl. wall had a good scrape in it.

the darn auger still starts with one pull!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.