The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: chasing the ice  (Read 983 times)

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
chasing the ice
« on: Mar 19, 2008, 07:24 PM »
 :tipup:    ??? Connecticut ice is all out. I would like to take my tip-ups to VT for the first time. I tried to get your regulations online---confusing at best! Can somebody tell me what the open season dates are for bass, trout, walleye, and northern pike through the ice? Do you think your ice (example Lake St. Catherine's)will hold for a couple more weeks? Thanks!!    :tipup:

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: chasing the ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Well, alot of inland lakes shut down last weekend for bass and trout, but you could still fish for pike and panfish on most lakes and ponds. I would think this weekend  ice would hold up for most lakes depending on what you feel like walking on. it is supposed to stay around freezing the beginning of the week. I heard the north end of Bomoseen still has over a foot, but a local pond(Fern Lake) I have been fishing since the first of the year only has a foot and the top three inches can be grainy on a warm day.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:27 PM »
 :tipup:         Thanks Fish Farmer. I'm thinking about Lake St. Catherine. But again, I am "shooting in the dark" here. Do you know anything about that lake as far as access/productivity? Thanks again. :tipup:

Offline habaneromoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2008, 10:41 AM »

lake st catherine still has plenty of ice but will go quick. last weekend there was still a foot but the shoreline tends to open up on warmer days making access a little tricky in spots. the state park would be your best bet for access. as far as productivity, the lake seemed to shut down about 3-4 weeks ago, there are some nice pike swimming around, but trout and bass season is closed. hope this helps, i will be out there all weekend,

moon

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2008, 11:34 AM »
 :tipup:        Thanks moon. Good luck to you this weekend. I would have to wait to next weekend to make the trip north. Don't know what will be left by then. May have to wait till next ice season for Vt. jebra :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.