The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: BIG BAIT ???  (Read 1694 times)

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
BIG BAIT ???
« on: Mar 17, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Was wondering if any baitshops, in Vermont, got any big bait left for sale ??? Big suckers or shiners, it doesn't matter. Looking to pick some up for some pike fishing this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BIG BAIT ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2008, 04:22 PM »
It depends what you call big, I use 4" shiners and call that big, Brians bait shop in Florence still has them and will this weekend but I think when they are gone they are gone I dont think he will be getting in another load because its the end of the season.  If you dont want to lose out I would call on Friday night to get some then, he takes customers by appointment after hours.

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Where you fishing? There's a place off the beaten path in Grand Isle that is Champlain certified...that's to say that he doesn't have the same shiners as all the other shops that cater to the inland lakes. He's got hunts, real perch bait, big shiners and big suckers. The other day he had some suckers that looked to be about 8". Traveling north on Rt2, when you get to the Grand Isle General Store,(now closed) take a left. Head west until you come to a 4 way stop. Continue straight for about 1/4 mile and on the left is his shop. It's called Island Bait. There's a hand net hanging on a sign by the road. I just calle
<br />img

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Reply, part deux.
 (Message got posted before I was done)  I just called Island Bait and they have suckers over 8" as well as big shiners.
              Good luck.
                        :tipup: :tipup:
<br />img

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:16 PM »
The Guy at island bait ordered me some big shiners. I got there and was informed that his daughter had accidentally sold the only 8 inch shiners in vermont to someone else by accident. I can't find good bait anywhere! In Massachusetts its easy to come by the 12 to 14 inch suckers that I'm looking for. and 4 inch shiners? thats tiny! If anyone finds a god spot for bait PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!
~Matt~

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Hey thanks for the info guys ! I am willing to travel to get some big bait. I have a fishing buddy up in the Burlington area, I intend to pass the word onto him and see what we come up with. . .Heard word of a guy over in the White River area that had some jumbo suckers for $4 each. I would rather hook a perch then pay that price.

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:52 PM »
The Guy at island bait ordered me some big shiners. I got there and was informed that his daughter had accidentally sold the only 8 inch shiners in vermont to someone else by accident. I can't find good bait anywhere! In Massachusetts its easy to come by the 12 to 14 inch suckers that I'm looking for. and 4 inch shiners? thats tiny! If anyone finds a god spot for bait PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Well Matt, They were big enough for us to take 1st and 2nd in the Great Benson derby,  18.04lb and 19.94lb Pike.

Offline vttrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:56 PM »
You get some huge shad at martins store in highgate springs.

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:19 PM »
The end result is no matter what gets a hook in it, be it large or small, it will work. The Big Hens are in the bays now and i don't believe they pass up any meal that's in their path. . . Once again, thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Well Matt, They were big enough for us to take 1st and 2nd in the Great Benson derby,  18.04lb and 19.94lb Pike.

HAHA!!!   :clap:  :woot: :thumbsup:

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:50 AM »
i like to use kittens... that big enough?
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:07 AM »
hey  you can use them and you don't have to have a receipt . 
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.