The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Bait Laws & Rules ???  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Budlike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
New Bait Laws & Rules ???
« on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:08 AM »
How does everybody like the new Bait rules or laws in Vt. ??? and do you think it has discoraged any Ice Fisherman, or hurt the local Bait Shops ?? just wondering what your thoughts are ... Thanks ...

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Bait Laws & Rules ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:46 AM »
You just may have opened a new can of worms. the new rules suck but you do what you have to. My fishing is alot more inportant to me then braking rules and loosing the right to fish. I have not used much live bait this year so it hurt me just a little. well I could go on forever so I better stop now.....jim s

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I am a bait dealer and I know it has discoraged a lot of people, many of the old timers who don't like change just did not fish with live bait, if they fished at all they jigged. Many people were intimidated and did not know the way the laws worked so that kept them home.   I was at the hearing in Rutland and believe that the changes that will be put in place this spring or early summer ( depends on when the F&W Board votes ) will be a lot more user friendly for us folks who like ice fishing.
the main topics were  increase the 48 hr time receipt for bait, allow bait to be caught and used on the same body of water ONLY,  allow the use of bait box's on the ice.  We will see how this all pans out,  I know for sure  as a fisherman and a bait dealer I do not want VHS to get into our inland lakes.
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline iroc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Cider Shack"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:51 AM »
Five days in the NEK and the bait was a very big expense. Smelt sold on the ice for $8.00 per doz.

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2008, 12:39 PM »
I have come across this a few times and used the dead bait. Why not RIGHT....jim s

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Hate them personaly. I have spent more money on live bait this year then ever before. I know the bait shops have to by the bait so they have to pay for that. But, I know they made a killing off of me.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2008, 07:10 PM »
i tend to ignore it. I know the local bait deal has said bother to me in person and in a article in the paper that "Buissness is up" but then told me it hurts him because " I fish to" ::)

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline bluegill 69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:44 PM »
actually bait sales are down alot you cant tell me that baitshops are making a killing on you fishermen i work at one and sales are down

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:55 PM »
actually bait sales are down alot you cant tell me that baitshops are making a killing on you fishermen i work at one and sales are down

im not saying they are making a killing im just stating what my local dealer told me and the local paper, that his sales are up this year. Now he just happens to be the only supplier with reasonable bait, hours and prices for the area not only in vermont but in NH to. I have also seen more people on the local bodies of water this year to.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline bluegill 69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:03 PM »
what area are you from?

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Well, I didn't buy any bait this year, other than maggots, and you know what, it didn't affect my enjoyment on ice fishing. I just got better on jigging panfish. I'm more concerned about the price of gas travelling to far away fishing spots and less on the price of bait.

The other concern is how Fish and Wildlife will handle stocking inland waters in the near future. Lake trout fisherman be very glad that the federal goverment(Pittsford NFH) is raising your lake trout for 2009 stocking inland waters. They were lucky to get an abundant supply of disease free lake trout eggs from Salisbury FCS.

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2008, 09:18 AM »
I just opened my bait shop this year and if I had to do this for a living I would not make it , I know a lot of people who used to ice fish but All I know is this was not the year to start a bait shop, I sure hope next year is better or mama is going to kill me and then I will have to pay the crazy prices that I know are out there at some shops.

Offline Budlike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2008, 01:25 PM »
I just opened my bait shop this year and if I had to do this for a living I would not make it , I know a lot of people who used to ice fish but All I know is this was not the year to start a bait shop, I sure hope next year is better or mama is going to kill me and then I will have to pay the crazy prices that I know are out there at some shops.

just noticed your from Florence, I used to buy live bait from an old fella over there i think his name was Haunce or something like that "spelling mite be wrong" but did you know of him and is he still around..?   Thanks ...  :)

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2008, 02:21 PM »
His name was Honus Rantanen, he hasnt sold bait in years and I dont even know if he is still allive, he was a good ol fella.  This new  bait shop is on the Whipple Hollow Road going from Florence to West Rutland.  Great bait, we came in First and Second in the great Benson Derby using his bait, unlike most of the bait in Vt that comes from a wholesaler up north, this bait comes from Mass and is really good lively hard bait. 

Offline bluegill 69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2008, 02:47 PM »
what species of fish did you catch?

Offline bluegill 69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2008, 02:59 PM »
that is pritty funy seems how the bait from mass comes from arkensas the same place that the holesaler up north gets his  and  toms baitshop has great bait and good prices .

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2008, 03:04 PM »
dont know what to tell you this guys prices are cheaper than Toms $6.00 a doz for large shiners which are much bigger than Toms and much more lively thats all I know. Not trying to nock Toms just call em like I see em I picked up some at toms a month ago and the shiners were more like the size of perch bait and they came from the large bin.  Both fish were pike  18.04lbs and 19.94lbs

Offline bluegill 69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2008, 03:13 PM »
where did you catch them?

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Lower Champlain

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Mr. Rantanen has passed away, just think the big boys he gets to catch every day now..  I remember going in to his house as little guy with my dad and a lot of times you had to wake Mr. Rantanen up from his recliner. He loved to talk and allways gave a few big shiners to us little kids for free, in hopes we would get the big one.  I used to get so excited, and it still works when I give the little ones a big ole shiner boy they grin.

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:29 AM »
  pretty sad  when we have to use out of state bait to fish your home state.       

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.