The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: catching pond shiners?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
catching pond shiners?
« on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:12 PM »
with the new bait rule in affect im looking for some tips on how to catch pond shiners. im a pike fisherman and the bait in my area is pathetic pike bait. i like using the biggest shiner possible. anyone have any advice on what to use to catch these big pond shiners???

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: catching pond shiners?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:17 PM »
i didnt think you could catch your own bait unless youwere using it on that body of water...?

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:23 PM »
i didnt think you could catch your own bait unless youwere using it on that body of water...?
you can't :nono:

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:10 PM »
PER  TITLE 10A Chapter 2   S122.206 Rish Regulations  5.3.1

Personally harvested baitfish may be used ONLY on the same waterbody . 

you can't even take them off the body of water you would need to keep them in a bait trap or catch them as you need them...
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:12 PM »
thats what i thought...
but just an F.Y.I., i called my local game warden when the bait laws first came out and asked if you were legally able to catch crayfish and transport them wherever you wanted and fish with them and after some thinking he sid that it was Legal and O.K.  ;D  :tipup:

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:22 PM »
yes i know what the bait law says. you can use the bait if it is caught on the same body of water on wich you are fishing. you can also use a bait tube. i have contacted the local game warden about this. im just looking for some tips to catch some big shiners on the body of water that i fish

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:24 PM »
use a really small jig with a sike on it. and dont move around on the ice. fish 5 to 8 fow and wait. its good at nite as well. good luck. most onds that have ike have some nice gator bait in them as well.

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:42 PM »
yup crayfish are ok because they can not carry or transmite  VHS...   I have also heard of guys catching shiners with fly's 

Offline motorfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rock The Ice !
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Small gold or silver #10 or 12 rockers work really well in 5 to 8 feet of water w/ a spike on them of goldens.
And as for crawfish I wouldn't be to sure on laws concerning them quite yet. They have made the baitshops that sell statewide certified bait stop selling them because there are no bait farms raising them or something like that. It just hasn't come out in a possesion law yet. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for those crawfish lawsto come out sometime  before ice out ! :o

Jus doan stan thar.... DO SUMPIN' !!!

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:44 AM »
hey thanks guys. i'll give it a shot this week. let ya know how i do... :tipup:

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:02 AM »
I asked Colonel Robert Rooks the head game warden for VT if crayfish were legal to fish with. Here is his reply, so yes you can fish with them.

Mr. Wood,

Both the saltwater shrimp and crayfish are crustaceans and therefore do not come under the baitfish rule. It is legal to fish with either one.

R.Rooks

Col. Robert J. Rooks
Vt. Fish & Wildlife
Director of Law enforcement
802-241-3727

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:31 AM »
use a really small jig with a sike on it. and dont move around on the ice. fish 5 to 8 fow and wait. its good at nite as well. good luck. most onds that have ike have some nice gator bait in them as well.
Yup! Jig and a spike! If you've got water wolves....you've got bait in there somewheres?!  High flags to ya! :thumbsup:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:16 PM »
have yet to catch any of those elusive shiners >:( can you chum them in somehow???

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:47 PM »
what methods have you tried.....

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Don't feel bad I can't seem to jig any up.

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:54 AM »
ive tried a small jig w. a spike on it in about 3-5 fow. ive tried deeper water. ive changed my jig...nothing seems to be working but i know they are there.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:57 AM »
ive tried a small jig w. a spike on it in about 3-5 fow. ive tried deeper water. ive changed my jig...nothing seems to be working but i know they are there.

Were you in the weeds?  I've only caught a few, but it was the same methods same depth, in the weeds.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:26 PM »
drill a big hole and throw a cast net in!  ;D

Offline flaguptrouton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Try a nice yellow perch, I've caught many big pike on them, and take a look inside and they're usually full of perch, good thing is it's still legal as long as they're from the same body of water and they are much easier to find.  wounding them a bit  can help so they don't trip flags much and scent attracts.  Having said that I caught 10 pounder and lost one that could've eaten it this weekend on a Heavy medium shiner go figure.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:00 AM »
 BIG POND SHINNERS RULE :bow: We made a maggot (spike) feeder out of an old plastic spice container by drilling small holes in it to allow them to crawl thru. Dump some in and hang "IN" the hole to one side and tip a small sweedish pimple w/spikes and jig. Sometimes we can even get the buggers up to about a foot below the ice! Let the games begin!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:31 AM »
you can buy smelt/herring rigs at walmart. its about a 3 foot line with seven tiny hooks coming off with little attractors. You can normally find them in the discount section of the wiliston walmart. For 2 bucks it might be worth a shot

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:04 PM »
i finally ended up getting just a couple the other day on a gold colored halis topped off with a couple spikes. wish i could have caught about 2 dozen but what can you do..thanks for the advise guys. i'll keep in touch and let ya know

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:49 PM »
I have had some luck taking a minow trap and widening out the entry hole to about two inches or a little better.   I put it in about 2 foot of water close to shore in the weeds.  I would only get 1 or 2 a night but it was worth it.  I was getting big red fin pond shinners. about 4 or 5 inches long.

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Just so you know the law concerning bait traps, is a trap must not exceed 18" in length and not have an entrance hole that exceeds 1".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.