Author Topic: Looking for a new rod  (Read 31755 times)

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for a new rod
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Looking for a new gill rod. I want something with a light enough tip I don't need to use a spring bobber, around 22", and I plan on putting a straight line spooler reel on it. Would like the price up to $30... Any recommendations???

Offline GRCrappieCrusher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for a new rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Check out the Flat Line rod from Sportsman's Direct.  I've got one in 24" mated with an Eagle Claw inline reel.  Love it and hate it.  Love fishing it but hate that it has completely ruined my taste for spinning reels when ice fishing.
Keep the front two between the snowbanks.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Ht pro blue for a cheap, Thorne bros for the best. No spring needed

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I bought a HT UL tight line combo in 24" at Meijers for like $35. I'm very happy with the sensitivity thus far and the drag on the reel doesn't feel bad either. No need for a spring bobber, the tip is plenty sensitive enough. 

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:29 AM »
My new go-to gill rod is from Cabela's.  I wanted something longer that I could use outside the shanty without a spring bobber.  Bought it for $19 at one of their stores.  The tip is soft enough to signal light bites, but there is enough backbone to land the cats that seem to find my jig.  The cork handle is a nice size too.  I have the 28" UL model, but I note that it comes in a 24" UL.  Will likely try and buy a second one at the end of the season sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Rods-Reels-Tip-Ups%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104543280/Cabelas-Easy-Touch-Ice-Rod/1389622.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frods-reels-tip-ups%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1100502%2B1000002949%2B4294389069%2FNe-1000002949%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=undefined%3Bcat104543280
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:18 AM »
Give Thorne Bros. a call and tell them what you are looking for in a rod and to spend.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

WS

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Gotta try the No. 8 Tackle "Snitch" rod... I wont use anything else for finicky gills
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:36 PM »
I've got a 23" UL Fenwick Elite Tech that I like allot. I'm able to see and feel the bite at the same time.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:32 PM »
A 20 or 24 inch Jason Mitchell meat stick would fit what you are looking for. sensitive tip but a good back bone to them. I just started running them my self this year and really have gotten to liking them. the other option would be a noodle type rod.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Quiverstick for sure
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:18 PM »
my straight line rod right now is a HT Ice Blues Pro, which is basically your average HT ice blues rod with nicer guides and a cork handle.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Get a schooley artic blue
Catching Any?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:02 AM »
I just bought a fenwick elite ice rod on amazon. They are still on sale, great deal. I havent used it yet but it feels great. I just paired it with a phlueger  moniceb which is nearly half off on amazon right now as well. I just got the reel last night, again havent used it yet but it feels great.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I agree with Mancave - Fenwick elite all the way. I’ve caught some serious lake trout on my 24” ML rod Also have an UL for panfish. Another plus is theprice.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I agree with Mancave - Fenwick elite all the way. I’ve caught some serious lake trout on my 24” ML rod Also have an UL for panfish. Another plus is theprice.
I have two one ML and one L.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline troutbum32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Have you tried fly fishing at all for bluegill. This has been some of my favourite fishing over the past summer season. I got a cheap 3 weight rod from moonshine after reading this article and had a ball. You can just use a small streamer or topwater lure and the strike rate is really high.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Go to EBay and type in Shakespeare ice rods.  Their rods are incredibly sensitive and a great rod for what you want to spend. If you are open to $42, also on EBay, Hardwater Custom has some great rods too.  I own two and am very happy.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2019, 03:58 PM »
A 20 or 24 inch Jason Mitchell meat stick would fit what you are looking for. sensitive tip but a good back bone to them. I just started running them my self this year and really have gotten to liking them. the other option would be a noodle type rod.

I fished with one all last season, the "dead meat" version. Mostly crappies and bluegills but I do catch an accidental bass, for $30, the rod was great in and out of the shack.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2020, 02:06 AM »
Blue gills are notorious for their nibble nibbles.  This is where that St. Croix Legend spring bobber excels.  I would also choose an UL glass rod as an alternative.  One that has a good noodle tip but some backbone to set the hook quickly too.

Now when the big gills are on minnow feed, the standard carbon in a L power would be my preference.  Spoons and some bait works well.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:55 PM »
a couple years have passed, some new stuff has hit the market as well as my tackle box, and i'm gonna submit that i always want to have 3 rods handy when fishing for gills:

1. 26"-30" ultra-light power extra-fast action rod. this one's for jigs, small spoons, and the new micro jigging lures such as the eurotackle micro z-viber. standard stuff for bluegills. plenty of backbone to set the hook and plenty of sensitivity in the tip to detect those finicky bites. right now i'm loving the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick for this rod, retails around 40$.

2. 24"-28" medium-light moderate rod. this is for larger spoons and jigging lures, think clam leech spoons or jigging rapalas. this is for when big gills are aggressive and focused on minnows (happens more often than you'd think). the hits are gonna be strong, and you need less tip so you can work the bait more effectively. i caught my 3 biggest bluegills last season on this setup, and i'm excited to give it a go again this year. i'm currently running a 13 fishing Vital, which retails for about 15$.

3. 18"-24" light power slow action rod. this is a deadstick, which i don't fish without. either run a tiny minnow on a split shot rig, or a bit of nightcrawler on a jig; the point is to have an easy meal next to your active jigging presentation. i like to keep my deadsticks shorter so they take up less space in the shelter. just make sure it's not a total noodle: the point of a slow action rod is to let the fish move away with your bait a bit further, especially important if you're using circle hooks. i'm working on updating this rod at the moment as i'm currently running an old Silver Eagle rod, which is no longer available on the market.

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:04 AM »
Nice write up Panfishman. I was recently in the market for a new gill rod and ended up going with a 25", 13 Fishing Snitch rod with the Descent reel.  Hasn't arrived yet but hoping to use for tungsten jigs w/o a spring bobber.  Hope it works for that, otherwise I may pick one of the flat tip rods from Sportsmans Direct. The kids are starting to get into ice fishing with me so I'm going g to need to grow the arsenal anyway so might as well pick one of those up anyway.  😂

a couple years have passed, some new stuff has hit the market as well as my tackle box, and i'm gonna submit that i always want to have 3 rods handy when fishing for gills:

1. 26"-30" ultra-light power extra-fast action rod. this one's for jigs, small spoons, and the new micro jigging lures such as the eurotackle micro z-viber. standard stuff for bluegills. plenty of backbone to set the hook and plenty of sensitivity in the tip to detect those finicky bites. right now i'm loving the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick for this rod, retails around 40$.

2. 24"-28" medium-light moderate rod. this is for larger spoons and jigging lures, think clam leech spoons or jigging rapalas. this is for when big gills are aggressive and focused on minnows (happens more often than you'd think). the hits are gonna be strong, and you need less tip so you can work the bait more effectively. i caught my 3 biggest bluegills last season on this setup, and i'm excited to give it a go again this year. i'm currently running a 13 fishing Vital, which retails for about 15$.

3. 18"-24" light power slow action rod. this is a deadstick, which i don't fish without. either run a tiny minnow on a split shot rig, or a bit of nightcrawler on a jig; the point is to have an easy meal next to your active jigging presentation. i like to keep my deadsticks shorter so they take up less space in the shelter. just make sure it's not a total noodle: the point of a slow action rod is to let the fish move away with your bait a bit further, especially important if you're using circle hooks. i'm working on updating this rod at the moment as i'm currently running an old Silver Eagle rod, which is no longer available on the market.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:36 AM »
I have the snitch 29 inch with quick tip. I had the flat tips on a 13 widow maker and did not care for flat tips at all. Quick tip rods are great for panfish. I have a couple frabills quicktips in 35 inches rods rated 1-4 lb. they are great too.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:59 AM »
The Shakespeare Fuel 25" UL combos are decent. The reels are better than you would expect,  but you usually have to sort through a few to find one with well aligned eyes, so I would only buy in-store.

The 22" UL Frabill Fenris is a nice little rod, too, but the reels that come on them are total garbage. They also have tiny eyes, so if you use them for slip bobbers, the knots want to hang up sometimes.

My favorites are the Shakespeare Wild 24" UL and the 13 Vital 24" UL, though. Those are pretty good rods at a really decent price, and they both have cork grips, which I much prefer to synthetics.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:48 AM »
HT ice blue with orange  tip.   Comes in different lengths.  under 12 bucks

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2022, 02:06 PM »
Shakespeare makes a light action rod called the Ice Noodle with a high vis tip that’s really hard to beat in that 12-14 dollar range.  The smallest they make is a 24”.  I got some high end custom rods but half the time I’m fishing with these.  I think they’re great rods for the price point.  They’re a couple more bucks than the HT blues but I think are a little nicer with a little more backbone.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:57 PM »
What did you settle on, Abbatoys?  Just wondering what you fish with and if you like it!

This post was from 2015. He hasn't been active on here since Jan. 2020. Hope he's ok.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.