New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Re: Honeoye Lake  (Read 20725 times)

Offline Walleyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Honeoye Lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:17 PM »
How thick is the ice down in the south end?

The ice at the South end is 3-3.5" thick.
Walleyeman

Offline Ronycash14225

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Was anyone fishing off of the access point on country road 36? Or else where on the lake besides  the south end?

Offline Walleyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:35 PM »
Was anyone fishing off of the access point on country road 36? Or else where on the lake besides  the south end?

There was only one car at the access point off of County Rand 36.  However, there were a lot of ice fishman fishing near the SW shore who walked all the way across from the East lake Road Public Boat launch site.

The ice is not really safe anywhere else on the lake at this time.  I didn't see anyone fishing out from Trident and the North End (Sandy Bottom Park) today.
Walleyeman

Offline Ronycash14225

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Thanks for the info...heading down in the am

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:55 PM »
The ice was really bad off Trident and i could not get on at sandy bottom

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:29 PM »
any fish being caught???????????????????????????

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Im going out tonight for some eyes and slabs. I will be on the south end. any IS'ers out there stop by, i'll be in a frabil commando.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:57 PM »
First time out fishing today (Sunday).  Yesterday I only went to look and ran into Devo among others.  Went back to the same spot today just short of the "death wish" ice.  (There were a few nut jobs out there!!).  Anyway it was another slow day, as was Saturday.  I couldn't jig up anything, but I was impressed with my new Humminbird ICE 55 that I've been waiting nearly a year to use.  At 10:30 AM I got a flag on one of my tip-ups.  I landed a 24" 4 1/2 lb walleye, as big as I've ever caught in Honeoye Lake.  Nobody else had much of anything so I thought I'd put up the picture just to improve morale.  At least I don't get skunked this season. ;D ;D ;D

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Oops,  sorry about the size of the picture.  Looked much smaller on photobucket.  The photo site is not as user friendly as it used to be.  ???

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Nice eye  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Oops,  sorry about the size of the picture.  Looked much smaller on photobucket.  The photo site is not as user friendly as it used to be.  ???

in the first img box, type width=600 after img so it looks like this but with out the %:

[%img width=600]
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:13 PM »
I don't see how nobody had much of anything. My bros and I and my buddy Nate and his dad caught around 100 fish yesterday and I had a ton that just looked or bumped it on the camera. How deep were you?? There are so many panfish in honeoye you just move till you find an area they seem to be liking. I can see if you are fishing for walleye but for people not, they need to do something different. Nice walleye though man
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:14 PM »
First time out fishing today (Sunday).  Yesterday I only went to look and ran into Devo among others.  Went back to the same spot today just short of the "death wish" ice.  (There were a few nut jobs out there!!).  Anyway it was another slow day, as was Saturday.  I couldn't jig up anything, but I was impressed with my new Humminbird ICE 55 that I've been waiting nearly a year to use.  At 10:30 AM I got a flag on one of my tip-ups.  I landed a 24" 4 1/2 lb walleye, as big as I've ever caught in Honeoye Lake.  Nobody else had much of anything so I thought I'd put up the picture just to improve morale.  At least I don't get skunked this season. ;D ;D ;D

(Image removed from quote.)
hey frigidaire nice eye, I was the guy out by the boundry ice you were talking to when I jigged up two nice jumbos, good job.. spoonfeeder

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Frigidaire I believe I spoke to you as well as I was leaving Saturday I was set up out near the shelf with the polar pop ups.  Nice eye you got there definitely encouraging!

How was the ice towards the end of the day?  Anybody?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:48 PM »

Nice job 'fridge!!!!!!
We had a  good day out there on the south end Saturday as well , didn't do to well near the death crack, but moved shallow and picked away at some nice gills, sunny's , bass and perch.
always an honer to fish with guys like jigngig, crazy eyevan, deepend,waggy, johnnylightning,spoonfeeder, etc,etc.......and great to meet some more of the I.S. members.

-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline namkcolmeh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Very nice, glad to see some nice Walleye's taken.
Life is short, I got plenty time to sleep when I die!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:01 PM »
I was out there Saturday it's too bad I don't know any of you guys or I would have said hello. I need to stick an iceshanty sticker to my hut lol

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:05 PM »
buy a flag!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:31 PM »
buy a flag!

If I had the $, Im completely broke. Would have to keep taking it off the clam though as I move quite a bit to find the fish some days. Will get one though when i get the $

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Small flag is 12"x 18" and only $10.   When you're ready ;D

Offline crzyeyevan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Hey gillpill, you can always stop and I say hey to jigngig and crzyeyevan, we are the guys with the orange and black mustang suits on and we are usually not to for apart. Always good to talk with IS members. We will fish the south end til the ice is better up at the north end, then we can be found from log cabin to the marina. Stop by and this goes out to all that want to shoot the BS. Stay on top and stay safe all. Crzyeyevan.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Hey gillpill, you can always stop and I say hey to jigngig and crzyeyevan, we are the guys with the orange and black mustang suits on and we are usually not to for apart. Always good to talk with IS members. We will fish the south end til the ice is better up at the north end, then we can be found from log cabin to the marina. Stop by and this goes out to all that want to shoot the BS. Stay on top and stay safe all. Crzyeyevan.
Ok cool. You have a hut or do you just sit outside? I have a 2 person clam nanook. I'm usually out there with 2-3 of my brothers. After this warm up and we get good ice again let me know when you will be out there and if I go I will know to look for you guys. And yea, I do the same thing. Go hit up log cabin once the ice is good enough

Offline crzyeyevan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Sounds good gillpill, we have clam pros, you can't miss our crew, spoonfeeder,hipnip jigngig, we are all there. Come on by and we will tell ya what we know. No problem helping the young guys learn that art. Crzyeyevan.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Haha thanks, I know honeoye pretty well as it is the only lake I icefish cause it's close to home and I have no vehicle. Always willing to learn more though. The one thing I really wanna figure out is the crappies. I know people catch a lot in the spring and I have seen them on the camera ad caught some but never see a lot. Maybe you guys could give me some pointers. Look forward to seeing you out there. Do you normally fish over near the west side where people like to kinda line up cause I thought I saw a group of blue clams over there. I was close to there in about 11-13 ft of water near my buddy Nate and his dad who have a shappell cabin style hut

Offline muddog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:00 AM »
is honeoye bait shop open as always.last time I was there it sounded like it might be sold

Offline Walleyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:30 AM »
is honeoye bait shop open as always.last time I was there it sounded like it might be sold

Unfortunately Honeoye Bait. Shop is closed for good.

You can get minnows, wax worms, and spikes at:

Outdoor Store
Hwy 5+20 and Hwy 64

Tell'em Where You Got it Shop
On Hwy 21 South of Whalen

Walleyeman

Offline muddog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:05 AM »
thanks. walleyeman

Offline Walleyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:10 AM »
More detialed information on Bait Shops near Honeoye Lake:

The Outdoor Store
6550 Route 5 & 20
Bloomfield, NY 14469
(585) 657-7412

Tell'Em Where You Got it Shop
11431 South Lackawana St (Rt 21 South)
Wayland, NY 14572
Phone: (585) 728-2328

Also, keep your eyes open for bait for sale on the ice near the public boat launch on weekends (Fri-Sun).

You can order wax worms and spikes though Interent suppliers too.  Does anyone have an Internet supplier that they would recomend?

Thanks!
Walleyeman

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:58 PM »
It's too bad that the honeoye bait shop closed down and I've heard that Dan died which is sad. The outdoor store near bullseye archery is pretty nice though, never got bait there yet

Offline namkcolmeh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:10 PM »
I didn't hear that Dan the owner of the Honeoye Bait Shop passed. So sorry to hear. Does anyone have any other info for me. I would like to send a card to the family. Thanks  :tipup:
Life is short, I got plenty time to sleep when I die!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.