Author Topic: lakers  (Read 1017 times)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lakers
« on: Dec 05, 2008, 12:56 PM »
just a bit of info on what the lakers are eating. The last one we kept (hooked deep and blood pouring through its gills) had a 17 inch lake trout in it and still went for the "bait". It was 16 lbs plus.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: lakers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:18 PM »
We've caught them here with 5 to 8 pound whitefish and trout still in their gullets.
It's pretty cool to catch a trout with the tail of a meal that size hanging out of it's mouth.
A favorite summertime rig for me is a couple of sets of cowbells and a quick strike rig holding a 2 pound whitefish as bait.

Offline frydaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Dude.....that's pretty amazing.   I grew up icefishing in minnesota and we used huge bait fishing for trophy pike, and it sounds like trophy lakers might be the same ticket. 
<br />

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2008, 01:46 PM »
I have been amazed too at what these fish are eating!  A couple years back I brought a nice 20 lb. fish along side the boat at Harding Lake and it "tossed up" another immature laker around 19" long.  I couldn't believe it struck a lure with such a big fish in it's gullet.  I have also caught numerous lakers out of Fielding lake that had grayling in their gullets.  Smaller lakers around 30" with est. 8" grayling hanging out of they're maws.  They are definitely top predators in most of our lakes!
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.