Author Topic: Netting game fish in Lake Louise  (Read 2374 times)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Netting game fish in Lake Louise
« on: Nov 23, 2009, 01:42 PM »
subsistince "fisherman" have been setting a net across the thorough fare between lake louise and susitna. They are keeping everything they catch. they are netting for white fish but they are getting some big lakers and keeping them carcasses everywhere. Fish and game was there and I guess there is a law that states you can keep the bi-catch of the net as it is already dead anyhow. Troopers have been scopeing them out for awhile and just waiting for a violation of some sorts. Just bad practice if you ask me. If your up that way stop in and give them a hard time of sorts if the troopers cant save the lakers maybe we can. Thanks 

Dube

Offline fishfoolz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love it when they Crush It!!
Re: Netting game fish in Lake Louise
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:59 AM »
Where is this at?  I planned to go to Lake Louise in about two weeks.  Is the netting still going on now?  How can fish and game let them do this?
Tell me the location of your Burbot Hole!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:40 AM »
they were at the throfare between susitna and louise but we saw them in larson bay last weekend. We caught a few fish to. good luck

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I still beleive that the days of true subsistance fishing are over...  Dip netting for salmon under a controlled season is great, but netting whitefish, (and hammering a large amount of lakers as by catch seems wrong...) 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Hungry4Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Dip netting for salmon under a controlled season is great, but netting whitefish, (and hammering a large amount of lakers as by catch seems wrong...) 

I don't think this will last. "Subsistence" fishing for lake fish wasn't high on the Department's list of good things. It was yet another special interest group pounding the BOF for something that the Board had little science to deny.

All the Department will need is evidence of these shenanigans to close it down, and I'm sure the Troopers are getting them a lot of neat photos to use.......

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:42 PM »
I heard that they are still out there. If they "ONLY" get one laker a day over 20 pounds and it takes 20 years to grow them, they have only taken 440 years of fish growth.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:21 PM »
still out there? They had there nets stretched between our shacks last week...We went out this past weekend and didnt have a flag. Will be heading up this evening for a few days and if our luck doesn't change we will be moving...Have you singed the petition at the lodge to get the rules changed? Talk to john about it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.