Author Topic: Eastman, Eskimo, Shappell, Clam  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Howzayo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I think I'll have another.
Eastman, Eskimo, Shappell, Clam
« on: Nov 23, 2008, 01:24 PM »

Can't wait to give the hard water fishing another try this year.  Last year was really my first year of ice fishing.  We did allright and learned enough here and on the ice to make this year that much better.

I have a bunch of good traps, a gas auger, a few jigging rods, buckets, boots etc.  This year I want to step it up a bit and get some sort of shelter and a sled....it was a pain to carry all that stuff along with a 30 pack!

Anyone have any experience with any of the "cube" style shelters?  I was contemplating buying one of the following: The Eastman Ice-Cube 4, Eskimo Quick_Fish 3, Shappell Icehouse 6000 or Clam Base Camp.  Of these 4, which is the the best deal?  I believe they are all very similar as far as size, weight, ease of use etc.  Would anyone recommend any one of them over the other?  If I an obviously overlooking other "must haves" let me know too.  Thanks

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: Eastman, Eskimo, Shappell, Clam
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2008, 02:53 PM »
depend on your style. we fish a lake that has a good point on it and when we move in were there for the day...the shapell is great if your gonna plant yourself.  maybe move it once or twice   max..

on new water or a lake with alot of structure items i would go with the more mobile type. that way your not thinking "i'll just stay here..to much of a pain to move"!  a shelter should help you catch fish not inhibit it.

most lakes i'm moving but i have a couple that i just park it and fire up the grill and wait it out. also we use the shapell for a home base when tip up fishing with 7 or 8 people and alot of traps out.

LOVE my shapell...in the right situation
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I have been using the 4 man icecube for a couple of years. Some people love em..some people hate em. As for me it works out fine most days. I fish allot , and usually alone.So I like the lightweight and ease of setup. Also love the room inside. If there is any sun out it gets pretty toasty inside so somedays you don't need a heater. I know of some who had problems with parts that broke, and Eastman cust. service took care of them.  I have not had any problems...except on very windy days. All in all, the ice cube works for me.
Pro's:   light weight , warm,  roomy,sets up in seconds
Cons:   pain in the but when windy, not as easy to relocate than some other styles.
I would definitely buy another...especially for the price I got it for on EBAY. Best of luck to you in your search. Please post your results in whatever you purchase, and let us know how you like it.
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I just picked up a esikmo QF3 this weekend and have set it up a couple times. I really like this thing. It seems really well built. I was going to get a Clam but I got to take a good look at this one and for 50.00 less it won my bid!
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2008, 07:57 PM »
FishHead- Enjoy the QFIII - It really is a good flip style. I havbe had mine for 3-4 years now. I noticed the new ones are not as tall to stand up in, But do have the 3 seats instead of the bench style

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Sorry about that I forgot mine is the quick fish 3. Its the one with no floor. Just relized the flip is the quick flip 3. Sorry about that! ???
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline Howzayo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I think I'll have another.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm leaning towards the Eastman, only because of the price.  I'm making that decision by assuming that all four are equally structurally sound, the fabric is all the same, customer service is accommodating etc.  Can anyone chime in on the differences between the four mentioned and their differences in quality.  Basically, can the higher priced shelters I mentioned in the four I am considering be justified?

Also, Pike4some, you were correct.  I am looking at all of the cube style shelters with NO FLOOR. ie, the Quick Fish 3.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I picked up a Shappell 6000 earlier this year, and am anxious awaiting to try it out.
All for the same reasons you are considering one like this: low weight, large size, easy setup/takedown, etc.

I have fished from a DX3000, DX4000, and Rover.  Each have the pluses and minuses.  I just wish the ice fishing tents (whether fold out, pop up, cube, etc) didn't have such condensation issues....

I guess I miss my hardside and wood stove...but I don't miss the backaches.
MD

Offline jdsmi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I was in the market for the same thing.  I didn't get a good look at the Ice Cube or Shappell but I looked at the Clam & QFIII side by side. After studying long and hard I was decided on the QFIII.  Long story short, I ended up with a flipover instead (Trekker DLX). FWIW, here's what I noticed between the Clam & QFIII. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

Quickfish III: - Roughly 3.5" smaller and a littler shorter. Someone commented you could fit a QFIII inside a Clam, that could be the case. Not that the QFIII is
                     small, still plenty of room.
                  - Removable windows. Although they are smaller, I consider this a huge plus over the Clam.
                  - Extra nylon "web" re-enforcements sewn in the stress corners where the poles meet. VERY nice.
                  - After trying multiple houses, the door zipper was much smoother on the QFIII.  Two-way zipper zips from top-bottom or bottom-top.
                  - Tent material seems to be a wash (to me anyways) and is more of a color choice than anything (I like the red).
                  - The stuff bag is VERY cheap and everything loads from the top (like a lawn chair). I would have bought an oversized duffle and tossed the stuff bag.
                  - $30 cheaper. Sportsman's Warehouse has them on sale for $169.99.

Clam Base Camp:- Slightly larger (see above).
                       - Larger windows, but not removeable.
                       - Stress corners only have a double piece of tent material sewn in.
                       - The door has two zippers, one on top & one on bottom, meeting in the middle to close.  Not as smooth as the Eskimo.
                       - It's a Clam! Most people who bleed blue will opt for the blue one.
                       - Very nice, heavy duty stuff bag that has a full length zipper. Eskimo should take note.
                       - More expensive. Cheapest I found was $199.99 at Gander Mt. Still a good price if this is your choice.

Offline Fixin To Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:26 PM »
If someone could comment on the darkness or light penetration of any of the 4, I would appreciate it.

I am planning on using one of these 4 for my mobile spearing setup, but Its hard to get to get to comparison if i can't see them all setup side by side in equal conditions.

Thanks

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I can only give a review of the Eastman, haven't used any of the others, which I am sure are also good shacks.  I love my 4 man cube as I too fish alone a lot so its nice and light, and when I fish with someone else its very roomy for two guys to fish out of.  I've had mine for 3 or 4 years already and haven't had any major problems with poles, fabric, etc. I have ripped the skirting once, but was my fault as it was frozen down in once spot that I missed seeing and I went to fold it up, sewed it up and its all good.  Easy to set up too, once you've done it a couple times.  I don't have a problem even in severe winds by myself.  I had problems in the wind the first couple times but quickly figured it out.  Not the most mobile, but mobile enough to hit a few spots in a day.  Takes a couple min. to set up, but only seconds to take down and pack up.  I am very impressed with mine, I've gotten more than my $ from it already.  I fish a lot too, and have easily had it set up 50-60 times if not more with no problems yet.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:56 PM »
I use the Eskimo Quick Fish 3, and I mainly spear, rarely do I fish.  I have no complaints about the Quick Fish 3.  I used to use the suitcase style made by Canvas Craft, and it was a good shack, but I like the QF 3 better.  You get light coming up through the floor, but it is not a problem.  The material is really dark and blocks a lot of light.  If there is no snow on the ice and it is clear ice, you can actually see fish through the ice.  Just my $.02.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Another consideration is inside height. I'm 6' 3" even without the winter boots, and don't want to exit my shanty just to stand up straight once in a while. My 4-person Ice Cube has room to spare.

I checked-out several other types at various sporting-goods stores over the weekend, and was shocked to see that so many other types have such limited headroom.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.