Author Topic: What do you think is the best portable iceshanty for your buck?  (Read 15614 times)

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What do you think is the best portable iceshanty for your buck?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Clam makes the flip overs;yukon,guide,pro,scout, as well as the "suite case" shacks.

I was referring to specifically the "suitcase" style ones, ie clam series of cabin shelters (clam 5600)...not fish trap series.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:31 PM »
In my 5600, my dad and I sit right in the middle, and have the holes directly in front of us. As far as carrying our stuff, we have a sled that has all of our stuff in it, and everything, including the auger goes right on top of the Clam. Sliding it across ice is a breeze-snow is another story.  :-\

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2007, 04:24 PM »
i have the frabill speedshak xl. it has 4 holes one in each corner. about 12"x24". seems to be holding up pretty good. others have the same problems i have. snow, weight, wind. i still like it. but probably don't pull it a couple hundred yds. in more than 3 inches of snow. watch how you pull it. keep the wgt. to the bottoms of the buckets and stuff will stay on pretty good. not if you pull it with the 4 wheeler. then i put the stuff on the wheeler to keep the snow off from it.

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Well, I guess I'll be the first to mention the Shappell 3000DX.  I absolutely love it and have used for the past four years.  I usually fish by myself or with one or two other guys. This was the criteria I used when I bought mine:
1. Had to fit in the backseat of my car (4 door sedan).
2. Needed to be able transport and set up by myself. (3000DX goes up & down fast and easy)
3. Had to allow me to bring all my equipment as well.  (Hand Auger, traps, bait, all fit easily on top)
4. Needed to have great visibility.  (3000DX has two full length windows on each side)
5. Needed to keep me warm and utilize the sun.  (Black canvas and carpeted floor really help).
6. Durability.  (Used it four years and still as good as new)
7. Price.  (Paid somewhere around 270$, can't remember exactly)
Only issue is deep snow makes it difficult to pull.  Just get a cheap sled to throw under it for deep snow. 
You also need to have a good anchor system but I think it is worth it to have a little more breathing room.

I just bought one a few weeks ago. Just waiting for some ice now.

As for the deep snow, I built a light weight ski system that also carries
the rest of my equipment and set the hut on top of it.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:11 AM »
I would like to buy a new portable one day too but here in Alaska we need something that will hold up to the extreme cold and the deep snow. I would like one that will not take a snowmachine or 4 wheeler to tow all the time but easy enough for one person to get in and out of the back of a pick-up and easy set up as well as hold in the heat when a person is using an 8000 to 18,000 BTU portable heater. Must be able to fit two larger guys around 250lbs each who are over 6ft tall with all their gear, room for the dog and heater and still feel roomy. Last but not least must be reasonably priced to include shipping to Alaska

I see a lot of shanties with cracked windows at -20 or colder when people set them up and most manufacturers sew theirs in. I do like the Eskimo portables because of the velcro windows but do not like the low tubs or the bench seats. I like the Otters, especially the Magnum Lodge with the large high tub and swivel seats but I do not like their sewn in windows which I have seen blow out in cold weather. I have not been around many Clam Corp or Frabill products cause nobody really carries them up here and if I wanted to get one you would be hard pressed to find some one to ship one up here without costing you an arm and a leg.

I had an HT Polar pop up and it went back to wally world after the windows blew out when I was setting it up, probably would have been okay if I would have taken it inside every night. Thats how I usually test my products; I leave them in the back of my truck or in the cab at below zero temps and then use them the next day or a few days later to see how they handle being exposed to the cold. Some major auto manufacturers and other prominent companies as well as the U.S Army tests newer products all the time up here to see what works and what doesn't. If it works well here in the extreme cold and doesn't break or have a lot of issues then it will usually function anywhere else on earth.

Now if anyone out there has connections with any company pertaining to hunting or fishing who would like to test their gear or products in an extreme cold environment at -30 to see if they really are top of the line let me know. As for the rest of the shanty manufacturers fix the problems like the small tubs and the sewn in windows and you may see some more sales. You might want to also consider selling them in different colors like red or blue or college and NFL team logos as an option to special order.

Brad

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:55 AM »
when buying a cabin style shelter vs a flip over style shelter be weary of a few things......

1) they take longer to assemble (on ice)
2) they dont have a sled style bottom and do not pull as easy on the ice
4) because they are taller, they do not hold up any where near as good in the wind

Take it from a guy who owns a Shappell 3000dx,  and a Clam Guide, the guide is a much better product and I wish I would have saved my money instead of purchasing the Shappell...ask me two seasons ago if I liked the Shappell I would have said "yes" and gave you 100 reasons why, but 2 years later the product has show it's flaws and Im was hut shopping again. Now the shappell is my back up hut in case I have a group of buddies i can convince to come out with me

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:08 AM »
I've been using a 5600 extensively and like it alot.  One item mentioned regularly is that it doesn't handle wind too well.  I would, from personal experience, disagree with this.  I've been out in 30 MPH winds, higher gusts, in the 5600 and it was rock solid.  Of course it was well anchored.  High winds have been more of a problem for me than the 5600. 

Just this weekend we were out with around 5 inches of new snow piled on top of the shanty, the wind was blowing and drifting snow, and the 5600 was warm and toasty inside with the buddy heater going.  Outside the shanty it was basically a survival-type situation with visibility near zero at times.  In fact, we had a hard time finding our tipups around the shanty.   The 5600 handled the snow load and wind with no problem.

I do intend to build a sled to haul it and gear out in snow.  Dragging it through snow is a pain.  Although, there are threads on here about how to haul the sled-type shantys in snow as well.  As for now, I simply tie a small sled behind the 5600 when dragging it.  The auger, chairs and vex are bungy corded to the top of the 5600.

Tight lines.

Offline BassHouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:27 AM »
I have a question regarding the Clam flip-over type shelters. 

How do you keep from losing the heat inside when you need to go get a flag?  I am  assuming that you need to flip it most all of the way open to get out (correct me if I am wrong).   I like the zipper doors on my Shappell 3000DX because I can leave it unzipped half-way and still get in and out without losing too much heat if any at all.  I like the idea of the CLAM style units but I am usually getting in and out pretty frequently.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:41 AM »
All of the clam flipovers have zippered doors, with the exception being the Scout.
Ken                                          

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:33 PM »
That is the big perk for a clam over my one man Frabil flip...the clam has the D door that you unzip so you are able to pack snow on the skirt and lock in the heat, my frabil has no door and need to be flipped up, so I ant pack snow on the skirt and on windy days the skirt blows in along with the cold

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:03 PM »
The new Fish Traps also have the partially zippered back door for the "Trap Link" that lets you connect two Fish Traps together. Although I have not used this feature yet the zippered back door is nice to hand things back and forth to your buddies without leaving your seat. ::)
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:25 PM »
My wife bought me the Clam Voyager.  AWESOME.  EXPENSIVE.  Thank you Santa.  The sled is huge the flip ovet top is huge.  BUT everything I care to take fishin fits in the sled. Some of it goes in when i get there.  Most of it is Permanent.  20 traps, 20 or so jiggin poles in cases, tackle boxes, pole holders, heaters, coat and bibs, scoops, some other things i cannot name right now.  Rope is permanent, gets pulled out and set on top when the cover comes off.  Room for bait buckets, newly filled propane bottles, and auger goes on top. Away I go.  Yeah its heavy pulling in snow bot one heater warms it up at 0 degrees and the small plastic snow shovel i forgot to mention is good to weigh down the flaps air tight and the carpet sample I also forgot to mention is the legth of the sled 15" wide and keeps the feet off the ice. Also a place to fit the vex in there too.  I swear There is more gear can be fit in the sled than you can use in a day,  Glad Im youg and buff enough to pull it,  Quality is bar none fromall that ive seen.   comes with two padded swivel seats and a third can be fit in.  Taj Majel.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:36 PM »
Sounds like a sweet unit...but as you said, $$$

Oh what to buy  ???

Thanks again everyone for the input...much appreciated!!

shawno  8)

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:37 PM »
That is the big perk for a clam over my one man Frabil flip...the clam has the D door that you unzip so you are able to pack snow on the skirt and lock in the heat, my frabil has no door and need to be flipped up, so I ant pack snow on the skirt and on windy days the skirt blows in along with the cold

My frabill has the D door with the snow flaps but it is a 3 man and it DOES suck to pull it on the snow any distance...I will definitely atest to that.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:56 PM »
I have the Clam 6800 and absolutely love it! I put it on top of a Chevy Trailblazer on a Yakima rack with gunnel's brackets I use for my canoe. I then use 2 nylon tie downs that I also use to strap the canoe down in summer. I can drive 80mph safely with my ice house folded up on the roof. This lets me have room for 4 fisherman, augers, buckets, coolers, ice rods. All safety inside the trailblazer. I always get looks from other fisherman, like why don't other people transport their suitcase style houses like that. Remember, if you got ice, its easiest to just drive out to where your fishing. Don't have to worry about dragging anything. I need to post a pic of my truck.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:20 AM »
Anyone own the Cabela portable selling for around $120 that you supply the plywood for the floor? Is it worth buying? Saw five reviews on their site and those buyers seemed happy, but I place more faith in what it said on IceShanty.

I had one of the cabelas build you own ones, and can't stand it.  I ended up giving it away, and my buddy who took it wants to give it back.  Tts heavy, flimsy, and ends up taking $50-75 more in lumber and a whole day to put together.  I tried to put skiis on it, and it sort of worked, that is until there was more than 3 inches of snow.   

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:33 PM »
I have an Eskimo Quik flip 3 , I like it but they quit selling them in Canada for now . Something about the tarp or canvass is to flammable. Anybody heard anything about that.

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:42 PM »
another vote for the clam trap style huts!  i run with a guide and it's great.  i'd love a hut i can stand up in but i'm pulling the thing while walking so the yukon or bigger isn't for me.  i love it when i shut all windows etc and check the bottom out when i'm fishing in shallow enough water.  the d door gets a good workout as I do shovel snow onto the skirt to keep the draft minimized.  really easy to set up in windy conditions! that sealed the deal for me.  the wife picked up a hut style for me and I couldn't even set it up in the basement!! couldn't imagine trying to set it up on a windy day on simcoe. 

just make sure you get a good heater. 

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Ive had a clam 5600 for 12 yrs and it is great and still in excellent condition. I got a 6800 last season cause it was a deal @ around $350. The base is too flimsy.the plastic is not as good as the 5600.  I bought the special tie downs they have and that helps a great deal. The base is too wide at the corners for the canvas (too tight) and it is already wearing through from wind. I have contacted the company about my complaints and they just let me know what their warranty is. ( Basically useless) Too bad cause I think the rest of there stuff is top shelf. If I was guaranteed early ice extreme cold where I could go out w/ the 4 wheeler everytime i would get rid of it all for their monster shack 8800? I saw it at KTP in maine heavy duty! I love the size I even bought some extra poles and have a shelf at the back end to hold camera and stuff giving more floor space.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Clam, Fishtrap Guide. love mine

Offline LXHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:08 PM »
I did a lot of research a couple of years ago and purchased an Otter Magnum Lodge.  I fitted it with a bench seat and two can fish in it very comfortably.  However, it is a bit pricey and heavy to boot.  Pulling it by hand on bare ice is no problem, but if you get six inches or more of snow it can give you quite a workout unless you're using a quad or snowmobile.  I fish by myself alot and this can create quite a bit of work, more than I really care for.  But I liked the quality and durability of the Otter Products so much that I purchased a second shanty this year, one that is smaller (Otter Cottage) for use when I'm by myself.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:04 PM »
for the money I vote for the Eskimo Quickfish 3 - fast setup and truly portable. $159 at Sportsmans Warehouse. It says it is for 3, but 4 can easily fish in it.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:12 PM »
Haven't heard too many mention Frabill...are they lower end compared to clam and otter?

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Live in Ohio and all Fish Traps on sale at Gander Mtn. Trap Guide $299(2 person) and Trap Pro$229(1 person).Anybody looking for a flip over style shanty here's your chance at a good price.If you open up a Gander Mtn credit card you will get another 10% off that price. :)
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:00 PM »
wife outta the blue the other day bought me a frabrill caboose!    gonna test it out tommorrow    let ya know how it works out   temps 10   windchill to -35 tommorrow reported
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #55 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:21 PM »
I got a clam scout.to small.Freind has a 5600,nice but hard to haul stuff and not very moveable when set up.Selling both of them,went and bought a Shappel 2.0 Deluxe on sale at Cabelas. Lots of space and portable.Was looking at a clam guide till I saw how much more space the Shappel has.I assembled it and can honestly say it is well built.

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:10 PM »
I love the room my frabill prowler has. Plenty of head room, great seats...no complaints.

Big W
Big W

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:49 AM »
i use a big cardboard box... prefer refrigerator boxes :D

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:13 PM »
i use a big cardboard box... prefer refrigerator boxes :D

A fishing buddy was telling me how, as kids, he and his brother used to take the large square trash cans from trash day out to the lake and would lay in the can with a jig pole. 

Offline JES_934

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:20 AM »
Clam fishtrap scout here. Quick, easy and light
Fish On!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.