Author Topic: Perfect 1 Man Shelter  (Read 8946 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Perfect 1 Man Shelter
« on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:17 PM »
There is millions of threads on different shelters and the perks and bennefits of each. I currently have a Shappell 3000 that Im very happy with, it a great 2 man shelter....

I have recently moved and where in the past I would always be fishing with a buddy, Im now going out solo once a week..so Im looking for a smaller shelter to bring out with me for the days while Im by myself.

Needs to be:

lite wieght
easy to set up and take down (My vex and camera have made me a nomad)
has room to set up a camer and vex (possibly a heater for cold days)

I dont have a preference for style, but have been looking at the flip shelters since they seemed easuer to set up to me....

Any Suggestions?...Im starting to see a stores clearing out their ice gear and I wanted to buy while the prices are good

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
Re: Perfect 1 Man Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Icejunky I also have a 3000 with my Vex, aquaview a bait bucket, misterbuddy and myself the 3000 is a one man shack!!!!

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:49 PM »
i have a clam5600 and a homemade portable shanty.  I have to say i use the 5600 even when by myself.  It is not really heavy and easy to move with your stuff in it.  I like it because I can keep everything in there and still move around if I wish or run out the door to get a tip up.  My homemade one is very nice also.  Its a little heavier but easy to build and very durable.  You can get the plans for it on the net.  I dont remember what site but it is really the only one that comes up when you google it.

Offline fishinworms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I pack an aqua vu, vex and coleman focus 5 and use an HT Polar Excape and have ample space......I'm sure other shelters are great too, but my money is on the HT....

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Icejunky, I was in the same "boat" I mean predicament as you. I likewise have the Shappell Dx 3000 and it's great when you got two guys. Since retiring I fish a lot by myself and I went with the Shappell Rover 1.0. It weighs 46#'s by itself and is basically self-contained flip over. But you want to take a look at their newest model Rover 1.5. It's about 15" wider than mine but does weigh 64#'s. My friend bought the 2.0 but it's considerably heavy for one person 70#'s. I likewise have all the toys and there is plenty of room in the 10" deep sled for everything. You can check them all out on the Shappell web site. Lou

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:03 PM »
FISH TRAP PRO would be my choice !

Offline bucknduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I was going to purchase the Pro until I found the Guide on sale for the regular price of the Pro so, I went with the Guide. more than enough room for me and my gear, and if someone wants to come along, there is room for them as well in the 2 man shelter.

Offline Buzz-Stix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I have an "Ice View"  Made by the Hunters View brand thing.  Its easy to put up and down  weights probably 20-25lb's  very light.  I can fit 2 guys in it,  3 maxs,  but its small and portable-  5 feet long-  3 feet wide sled,  and about the same area for fishing.  I can heat it with a lantern too!  Windows all the way around.  Its a great shack-  The sleds are kinda poor quality,  but I am getting a new one for free-  (MY FAULT I BROKE IT) Dropped it form the rafters!

Its kinda the layout as a clam,  but it has a structural fame that it hinged and puts together just fine!  Has 2 beams to hold the canvas out in front so it has the same floor plan as a clam.  I like it cause it folds down and u can pop it right up, or just move aroundw ith it still standing.  When its foled down you can fit all you gear on it!

Curtis

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:29 PM »
I got the Frabill 2 man flip this year and it is very well built, if the one man is anything like the 2 man, I would go with Frabill ;)

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:33 PM »
I was all set to buy the Pro but the door height was an issue for me(I'm 6'7") so I bought the Rover 1.5 and really like it,it has quite a bit more room than the Pro and sets up really easy.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:20 PM »
HT Polar Deluxe. Big enough for two when you need it but lite enough for one man to carry on his shoulder in the back pack which is about ten pounds and sets up in less than a minute.

Here is the link with all their shelters http://www.htent.com/Shelters/shelters.htm

FF

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2006, 12:07 AM »
the wife got  me a cheap one from Menards in WI for x-mas 2 years ago, just a 2 man (price was $115 i think)
its ok goes up in less them a min. very light, i can put it on the top of my Blazer very easy by myself. big enough for 2. i throw all my stuff on top of it (use it lik a sled) it holds the jiffy, 2, 5 gal. buckets, camers, heater, beer... and a little more. 3'x5' down, add16" to the with when up.  you can pull it around when its up. 3 windows 2 doors.  heats up very easy!!
Its not a bad little shack for the price.
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2006, 05:55 AM »
Has anyone thought about the ease of pulling a loaded sled.  I think a larger sled, like a Fish Trap Guide, would pull easier than a smaller sled with an equal load.  I have pulled both, and the Pro sinks quite a bit deeper in the snow, if both are carrying similar weight.  There is not much difference in the weight of the unit.  It's all the stuff we take with us.  If you spread the weight over more surface area, it will pull easier, as it is displacing less snow.  A heavily loaded pro will haul harder than an equal weight in a Guide.  INHO 
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Wow that sounds familiar ;D
in my experience, the guide actually pulled better than the pro in snow...I know I know, its heavier...I'm not sure why it pulled easier...maybe because the weight is distributed over a larger area ???...I don't know.

IJ...The best way to make a decision is for you to look at all of them personally and go from there.  I have the pro, its a perfect one man shelter...but I would have rather had the guide....Now I own the pro AND a yukon, so I am covered from all angles.

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:01 AM »
Have to throw in my vote for the Fish Trap Pro!

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:23 AM »
Pro vs. Guide
53lbs vs. 82lbs.
Do the math...

billybono

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:32 AM »
yep  ;D ;D
I got the Frabill 2 man flip this year and it is very well built, if the one man is anything like the 2 man, I would go with Frabill ;)

Frabill UltraLite
Quick Facts

Fishes ONE Angler & gear.
Extremely portable.
Arctic Armor Tent.
Black cover absorbs heat.
Roomy interior for gear.
********************Weighs only 32 lbs. ************
2 removable windows.
Sets up to:
94"L x 30"W x 57"H
Folds down:
54" L x 30"W x 17"H

my brother just picked one up for 130 bucks.....very nice for the cash

billybono

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:04 AM »
yep  ;D ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

Have the ranger xt twins, awesome space, destroys a yukon and about 100 bucks cheaper. Only problem is the weight 87lbs. The room is insane, had four guys standing in it checking it out yesterday.
The one mans weighs in at 37lbs??? Love the black fabric, heats up quick.
iam with bono on this one, don't let the TEAM fool ya into a pricey hut.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Buckski, I would agree with you about the Frabill and especially the price except for one thing. My friend just bought one and he is a fairly wide body person. He looked like he was quite cramped side to side. As someone else posted, you need to try them out for your self to see what "fits" your individual circumstance. For some people the weight isn't an issue if they got help to manueuver it. Some people don't pull it great distances through huge amounts of snow. The one gentleman said he's 6'7" so could probably use a two-story shanty. That's the great thing about Ice Shanty. Everyone gives their 2-cents with the hopes that it can help you make an informed decision.  Lou

billybono

« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Buckski, I would agree with you about the Frabill and especially the price except for one thing. My friend just bought one and he is a fairly wide body person. He looked like he was quite cramped side to side.

my brother is a big dude....plenty of room for him

billybono

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Think I could put a cot in my 2 man xt. For 130 bucks I would buy another hut if I did not have a homemade one manner.
Man is that a great price for a well made hut.
Only problem with the 2 man I have is when I assembled it i saw about 10 -15 lbs that could be eliminated.
I have swivels seats, the base weights like 3-4 lbs each to about 1o lbs, also the angle peice of metal the seat sit on, only need it in three spots, middle for one man and one on each side for 2 man operation.
Could shave the weight but I'll keep it STOCK, just use a snowmobile to pull her out far.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

billybono

« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:29 AM »
wieght is an issue....thats why im looking at this one

Ice Cruiser 200
Quick Facts

Fishes TWO Anglers & gear.
*****************Weighs 62 lbs.**************
Arctic Armor Tent.
Roomy interior at a popular price.
4 removable windows offer 360° views.
Sets up to:
96"L x 63"W x 67"H
Folds down:
63" L x 45"W x 18"H

id buy a trap if gentz wants to pay me for having his name on it.....or at least lower the price, and knock out about 20 pounds

fish307 has this one for 348.99 vs 400 for a guide

billybono

b

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:47 AM »
I am thinking of getting this one. What do you guys think?

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:53 AM »
Fish Trap Pro. Nuff said.
I'm with slipbob.  I think the comparable Frabill is a little lighter and it's easier to set as a windbreak, but I like the fabric and features better on the trap.  For me, it's a very tight race with the trap winning by the smallest of fractions.  You take it from there.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:54 AM »
LOOKS RUGGED, is that fiberglass on the bottom? Will she tip.
Other than that like the hitch, looks roomy. hate to pull it out, but would liketo spend aa day in it over fish!

Jean Cocteau

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:04 AM »
It looks home made to me, It also looks very difficult to fish from, the bottom does not appear to sit flush on the ground which would make it tippy in the wind and while just moving around inside.

I would be interested in seeing the pics of the inside to see if and where the holes are drilled.

mac..has it dead on...it looks heavy..almost like pulling a boat behind you.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:11 AM »
I will put my vote in for the fish trap pro. I think its well thought out, and much more refined than my 15 year old trap was.

I like the front and rear windows, 2 side vents, the mesh pockets on the sides are very handy for keeping your gloves and hat off the ice. Front and rear doors with the trap link opiton is nice too. Dont think any of the other brands can offer that versatility. the moveable console is also kinda handy.

But my favorite feature has to be the seat system. Nice and comfortable swivel fold down seat that is adjustable for and aft as well as side to side.

I think for the run and gun style of fishing any of the flip top shantys cant beat beat. No unloading your gear off the top of a suitcase style then putting inside. Its all right there in the tub, once you have it organised the way you want it it becomes real convienent.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Agreed slipbob!

I'm 6'5" and have bad knees but I think the seat is high enuff. Maybe I am just used to sitting on the low bench seat of my old trap for so long I think Im in heaven with this trap!

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Here is the inside, I don't have the weight yet. I will have to email the man. Said their is different hitches to attach. One in the picture is for a snowmobile. I really don't think tipping is an issue. But the weight sure could be. I have yet to get inside it. Costs would be U.S. 450,00. Which is pretty expensive. I have been using a simple wooden skiing pack sled. It is working fine. I would just love to get into a shelter though. Gotta build em here as shipping to here from the States is something fierce.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Wow...$450...You can get a lot more for your money if you look around. Nothing against the hut, but for what I can see in the pictures and your explanation...that is too much money for too little hut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.