Author Topic: Building a 6 x 9 hardside shanty  (Read 27602 times)

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building a 6 x 9 hardside shanty
« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Thanks FarmerGrant.
I'll take a picture tomorrow...but be forwarned, it's an ugly little critter that I welded up about 6 years ago ....works good though .
I want to weld up a nicer one using a 30 lb propane tank...or a similar sized water pressure tank .
I put the stove pipe through the wall(were it is protected by the roof overhang) because there is less chance of leaks(from rain or snow) and is easier to stabilize the stove pipes, to keep the wind from blowing them over..without the attendant wires etc......at least I hope so .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:25 PM »
Went out today, caught about 7 walleyes...nothing over 11 inches ..nothing big enuff to take home .
The stove has a down draft pipe welded on the top of the stove ...works good , but I made the pipe too long , gets in the way when loading wood .
The coffee can is for heating water to pour down the holes to keep ice cleared ...and for washing fishy hands .
The small can is my version of draft control .

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:35 PM »
thats a mother of a stove!

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2006, 08:57 PM »
....well an ugly mother maybe, but she sure pumps out the heat for her size, which is(not including legs or hinges)as follows;
   8" wide x 14 1/2" tall x 17" long .

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Neat stove!  I like the down draft.  How do you keep the door locked?  I don't see any handle? I'm always interested in seeing stoves that people built.  Gives me lots of ideas to build off of.  One of these days I'll get around to building a new one for the cabin. 

Your reasons for going out the wall with the chimney makes sense.  In my house (not the fishing one) I had mine going through the wall for the first year.  Got tired of the creosote dripping at the 90, so I put it through my roof. 

Thanks

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:14 AM »
here is a stove i built from an empty freon container.nice thin metal means more heat.i just love this little stove.build one...you wont regret it.

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2006, 07:03 AM »
my shack is not as heavy as yours must be but this might help you load it on the trailer i use an old hand winch from a boat trailer i raise up one end and block it high enough to get trailer started under it then winch it on i the trailer is hooked to my truck while loading i can load it alone no problem old ken

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Thanks oldken, that's basically how I loaded my shack onto the trailer...except I used a short-handled 500 lb. cap. chain "come-along"....it worked pretty good .

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2006, 03:00 PM »
Well, I'm getting an early start on next season.  I'm going to start soon on a shack, so I can spend lots of time fine tuning everything.  It'll be somewhere around 6x9, and the walls will be stud-framed.  As far as the basics, what do you guys recommend for flooring and siding material?  Do you think 2x2 or 2x3 framing (walls only) is worth the weight reduction?  Also, have you had any trouble with real glass windows breaking in transport?  It can get a little rough at the shoreline sometimes.  This will be my first venture beyond portable huts, so if you feel like sharing any mistakes I should avoid, thanks in advance.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:53 PM »
My floor was made of 2 sheets of 3/4 " OSB(what I had on hand)...which is very heavy . 3/4 " plywood would be quite a bit lighter .The tin clad walls and roof added another 150 lbs.
The 2 x 2 walls are very solid(with 1/4 OSB paneling)and gives a bit more room inside.
I used 1/4 " plexi-glas on all windows...no worries about rough roads or snowballs .
For lightness I think that metal 2 x 4's for wall studs would be nice.
My son-in law(carpenter by trade)is thinking of building a shanty this summer...so he will probably come up with some ingenious ideas to keep the shanty light but strong. We are already kicking around a couple of ideas....one is to panel the insides with fourdrinier wire(it's a light nylon screen from the papermill) .Painted, it would be water/wind proof .Diagonal braces made from 2" wide metal banding would stiffen the walls .
Something to think about anyhow ...

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:15 PM »
I never thought of metal 2x4s, lighter than wood?  will probably go with pipe for runners.  bent up at one end like a ski.  I see a lot of them with this setup.  At first I though about building in some small benches, which would double as storage bins, but then I thought it might be better to keep it all open.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:34 PM »
pikekiller just make sure you make your skis wide enough to support the wieght of the shack.I would think about using old pair of water skis.thats what im gonna do next yr.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Update:
Last weekend about 6 shanties were broken into, including mine .The perps pushed in 2 of my plexi-glas windows(didn't break) but couldn't get through the 12 x 12 inch windows . The  padlock was pried off the hasp/bolt but in doing so damaged the hasp so that the bolt wouldn't open....obviously amateurs .
Small windows keep out intruders.
I've had to redrill the ice-holes in my shanty twice. I mostly chip out the 1" or so of ice with a homemade ice chisel, but the holes eventually start to close in all the way to the bottom of the ice, which is 28 " thick below my shack .There was enough room to use my 3HP jiffy ice auger without barking my knuckles on the inside corners of my shanty .
Thinking of taking the shack off this coming Monday

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2006, 10:03 PM »
FarmerGrant ,
Sorry I never answered you before about the door on my shanty stove....I will put a handle on it this spring...but I hope to weld up a better, neater looking stove later .
To open the door I just pull on the lower edge .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:50 PM »
After a day of fishing, my brother helped me take the shanty off of the lake on March 22 ...was lots of ice left but the shoreline was getting crappy.
The previous day I had drilled an 16" deep auger hole close to the back end of the shanty .A 2x4 was left overnight to freeze solid into the ice so that when I jacked up the front of shanty(with a Jack-all Jack)it wouldn't slide backwards. After short safety jacks were placed near the center of the shanty , the double-wide trailer was tilted and backed under the skis . The shanty was then come-along'd onto the trailer.
Later this fall it will do double duty as a deer hunting shack on the kids farm property.
All in all I am quite happy with my shanty .
This summer I want to weld up a better stove , spray foam insulation into the corrugated gaps left by the tin roofing(sills and eaves), and beef up the door and window security .
Catch you guys next season ...thanks for all your help . 

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jun 30, 2006, 02:30 PM »
I replaced the above stove with another stove that I built from old cast iron stove parts and a scrap 30 pound propane tank .It sure pumps out the heat .

camo_fish

« Reply #46 on: Jul 14, 2006, 05:12 AM »
Yes, your new stove looks very nice, but you lost a little top space.  ;) But sure sounds like the heat will be rolling and lighter weight too.  ;D Very nice,  :-\ wish I had a shanty that I could maintain.  :P I bet you can't wait to get the shanty out on the hard water.  ;D 8)

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Sep 19, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Camo fish thanks for the kind words ... Yes the top of the stove is a bit smaller but then I usually cook on a small Coleman two-burner camp stove .
In the meantime the "Fishooting shack" is presently set up at my oldest son's place (160 acres of prime deer land) on a side hill overlooking a swampy draw, awaiting opening of deer season ....so it is serving a dual purpose .
Will post a picture later...esp. if I connect with "Mr. Big" .
Will , hopefully before the big snows hit, pull it off of the field after December 15th.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Sep 22, 2006, 01:04 AM »
This is the reason that I built this shanty .
Gentlemen I present my 3 1/2 year old grandson and his very first walleye .
He is a fast learner....look how he extends the fish TOWARDS the camera.
PS he hauled the fish up by himself , with Grampa taking up the slack...keeping the line from wrapping around his hands, just in case a big Northern grabbed that Walleye .

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #49 on: Sep 22, 2006, 04:41 AM »
Great shot FK...love seeing little kids with giant smiles!! WTG

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Thank you, sir .Those smiles  make it all worthwhile .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Sep 22, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Thank you, Mac . I am glad you enjoyed my thread .
I am from Dryden(Northwestern Ontario). Last year I set up on Wabigoon lake , just south of town . I can leave my house and be fishing 15 - 20 minutes later . ;D
I'll prolly do the same this year .
If I do as well as last season I'll be happy, even tho I never caught any big Walleyes , there were a few caught near me (about 200 yds. away).....and I have their co-ordinates(where they had their shack) on my GPS....heehee

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Mac, I hope you didn't have too difficult of a time finding Dryden . I was going to mention that it was about 80 miles north of International Falls...but it slipped my mind .
I should be out bow-hunting for moose right now, but wasn't lucky in the adult tag draw...for the second year in a row...bummer .
The temp. has been hovering around freezing at night for the last two weeks....I think we are in for an early winter ....oh well....early winter, early ice .

grumpymoe

« Reply #53 on: Sep 22, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Great shot of your grandson Fishkeeper!!...thats what its all about...didnt realize or remember any posts about having the shack on Wabigoon...its been afew years since I last fished the lake...some trips to remember and forget when Sis and brother in law, mom and dad lived in Dryden...tightlines... Grump

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Sep 23, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Thanks Grump....he's a keeper ;D
My car broke down passing through Dryden in 1959....I've been here ever since....working in the mill .Good times , bad times ...raised a family...It's been good .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:30 PM »
Update...never shot a deer from the fishooting shack although we saw LOTS of deer while sitting in warm comfort .
Put the shack back out on the Wabigoon ice road, just before New Years .Managed to get it placed right where buddy was catching all those walleyes last season....he caught an 8 , a 5 and two 3 pounders in one day !
I've only been out about 4 times(had that darn flu again) and only caught one walleye(14")...but buddy sez they don't start biting until Feb. in that spot(he placed his shack same place as last season[about 50 feet from mine]) he's not mad at me for taking his spot ...even brought over a plate of fried venison :)
Hopefully will be out tomorrow, supposed to warm up to -3 C .
That new stove of mine works very well .

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:43 PM »
fishkeeper, thanks for the info it looks great...
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Went fishing at the shanty today only caught one walleye.
Talked to some guys that were set up beside me last season ....one of the guys showed me a picture of a 13 lb. walleye caught about a week ago ....close to where I was set up last year ...nice walleye 32 inches long .
Going out again tomorrow .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:02 PM »
OK, questions,  ???
Why the double layer plywood floor?
and
Are your jig hole opening to close to the short walls? Is there enough room there to drill your holes in the ice with out cutting up your knuckles?

But, other than that, wow, that is going to be a nice a big shanty.
Only wish I had the $$$ for materials and a way to transport a wooden shanty out on the ice.
In do time.  ;D

On reading over my thread I realized that I didn't properly answer Camo's question, on page one ..."why the double layer plywood floor?" . Looking at pic #3, I can see why he would make that assumption . The "second layer" is actually the left wall being nailed together on the finished floor(a nice flat stable working surface)...when finished it will be stood up facing the other long wall .
Camo , you prolly already figured that out ...but I thought that I should clarify my oversight .
Went fishing yesterday ...not even a bite . Was sure cold outside the shanty . 28 inches of ice under the shanty

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Haven't been out to the shanty for more than 2 weeks...it's been brutally cold, hovering below -30 C and dipping below -40C a few times .
I went out yesterday... had to put an extention on the auger to get through the ice below shack . There was 40 inches distance from the bottem of the ice to the surface of the water in the drilled hole ...more than 40" of ice !
Came home with 3 walleye...lost a few..got caught on the bottom edge of the drilled hole .
Going out again this afternoon .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.