Author Topic: Building a 6 x 9 hardside shanty  (Read 27414 times)

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Building a 6 x 9 hardside shanty
« on: Jan 07, 2006, 10:57 PM »
Hi I'm gonna try and post a few pictures as I'm building my shanty, with a few comments that might help others...

This is the floor frame ... 2 x 4's on 16" centers . It is 9'6" long by 6'3" wide (outside measurements) The framed openings on the left front and right rear are for fishing holes in diagonal corners.
This is the floor sheeted in with OSB panels...heavy but I won't be going far .

Right long wall up next one waiting to be stood up .The walls are made with 2x2's, except for 2x4's on the 4 ends on the long walls

All walls up ...the end walls are 2x2's .

A rafter jig slapped together for building the roof trusses
The rafters set on top of the walls .

I gotta make window openings(at least 6 - 12x 12 @ sitting height ) yet and frame in the door(about 18" wide) in the middle of the right hand long side .
Metal roofing will cover the walls and roof ....1/4 OSB on the interior.
Small home welded wood heater opposite the door.

camo_fish

Re: Building a 6 x 9 hardside shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:46 PM »
OK, questions,  ???
Why the double layer plywood floor?
and
Are your jig hole opening to close to the short walls? Is there enough room there to drill your holes in the ice with out cutting up your knuckles?

But, other than that, wow, that is going to be a nice a big shanty.
Only wish I had the $$$ for materials and a way to transport a wooden shanty out on the ice.
In do time.  ;D

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:10 AM »
Fishkeeper glad you made a thread!!! The hut looks sweet, thats going to be roomy for 2 guys! Keep us posted!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:38 AM »
Nice shack, question though. your picture as your level with the top looks to be just under your door height right. So when I see your pitch roof on there IS IT GOING TO GO OUT YOUR DOORS ;D

boxcar

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:37 AM »
Thanks guys for your welcome comments .
When I opened this thread I should also have stated that any advice would be appreciated....althoug h I have gleaned a lot of helpful information from this website , one could always learn more from such a hands on group of guys.
Camo fish... the floor is single layer OSB, a shade under 3/4" thick . The jig holes are close to the short walls ...but the opening is 14" deep from the short wall direction.... 10" deep the other way. I did a lot of trial and error (with my 8" Jiffy as a ruler) before I settled on the final opening size...hopefully there should be lots of room.
Hasn't cost anything yet but the Styrofoam insulation will set me back .
Box car ...good eye! .  To the left of the door in my garage is another much taller garage door(out of sight)(well... you can just make out part of this door in pictures 3, 4 and 6) ....so will hafta take it out that way ...although I gotta move a lot of stuff and shovel a lot of snow .(I don't use this door much....but it is a 2-door garage) Be better than putting the roof on outside .

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:09 PM »
Great, I new a guy that built his shack in his garage and couldn't get it out his door. He had to do alot of dissembling.

boxcar

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:40 PM »
 ;D Bummer ! I thought that only happened while building a boat in the basement ;D
I still have a terrible cold or flu so haven't done much work on the shack lately. The other day I felt better so I hammered together the trusses....but then I got much worse  :(.The Missus put her foot down... "No more going outside" ....the upside is she cleaned up the driveway today after the snowplow went through  ;D ;D.
I plan on putting two windows on each of the long sides , one each on the short sides .The windows will be small(to fit btwn the 2x2 studs) will be made out of Plexiglas .

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:12 PM »
fishkeeper, did you use nails or screws to fasten the 2x2s to the 2x4s? nice shack btw
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I used 3 1/2" box nails to fasten the 2x2 short walls to the 2x4 stud ends on the long walls . I used 4" box nails to join the 2x2 top plate (predrilled so as not to split) to the studs(2x2s and 2x4s). I used galvanized 4" nails to nail the bottom plate(pre-drilled ) onto the studs.
The only place that I've used screw nails(so far) is on the floor sheathing ....I used ceramic deck screws(they don't rust and don't snap off) to fasten the floor to the 2x4 floor frame .
I considered using screw nails or drywall screws to join the four walls to each other but didn't have enough on hand ...would have prefered to use 3 1/2 deck screws .
Hope this answers your question .
Thanks for the compliment .

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:16 AM »
very nice, cool. I see now.
I can't wait to see the next pictures and steps that you have completed, your going to have one heck of a hardside.  :thumbsup:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:55 AM »
Nice set up.only question is ,why ony 2 holes?

stump

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Nice set up.only question is ,why ony 2 holes?

stump
Most of the time I'll probably be fishing by myself, or with one other person ...so we could each watch one hole with an eye out the window for tip-ups outside .
Most of the local shacks only have two holes( greater structural integrity?, less clutter?, laziness?), some don't have any ....just a place to keep warm and socialize.....I don't know...no real reason ....just the way that I've visualized it over the years .
Sure wish that I would get better...my sinus is killing me....if this hangs on much longer I'll hafta go see a Doc .

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Nice shanty!  One word of caution though, if you want it to last more than just a couple years you definitely have to seal that OSB with something.  Paint, rhinoliner, rocker guard, anything is better than nothing.  Left untreatedlike, snow melt off your boots on an OSB floor will kill it in no time.  Maybe not make it rot right away but it will start to flake and nothing worse than when that stuff flakes.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

bucket

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Update :
Lit a fire in the garage stove a couple of days ago and was able to do a bit of work on the shanty .
I pulled all the nails out connecting the walls to each other(there were only one or two nails in each corner...a temporary set-up) and replaced them with (newly purchased) 3 " ceramic deck screws...put a minimum of 5 in each corner .
I screwnailed the roof trusses down .
I boxed in the 6 window openings(rough openings).
I'm trying to screw up enough energy to drive out to the kid's place to pick up a few sheets of 1/4 " OSB and to tear off/salvage enuff 1x6 boards(off a 90-year old house) to use as nailing strips
for the tin roofing ....but am still weak as a kitten .
Plus I gotta pick up some used foil-blades, from the kid's place , to screw to the btm of the runners .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:00 AM »
Finally feeling a bit better ...finished all the walls and one gable end (insulated, strapped and covered with tin roofing )
Gotta go back to the kid's place to get more 1/4" OSB panels, tin roofing and more 1x6's ...to finish off the roof and ceiling .
It is sure HEAVY !!
Will post pics later .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:30 PM »
I'll attempt to update my file...this pic shows  the inside paneling completed and the 1 1/2" Styrofoam being fitted between 2x2 studs

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:35 PM »
hey fishkeeper looks like your a pack rat.  I sometimes suffer from that as well.
Cheese Head

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Nice looking job!.... :tipup:

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:45 PM »
The next shows the tin(used roofing) being screwed to 1x6s

Hey cstolp if you think my garage is cluttered...you should see the 30x30 storage shed that I had to build ...everything from Model T Ford,s to  Tee Pees in there...the Missus believes that I invented the term "Pack Rat"  ;D

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Looks like you've got a lot of reading material on the shelves over there behind the shack.
Cheese Head

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Finally out on the ice...but still a month of fishing left
I do read too much!

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Getting it set up .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Haven't had to move shack or redrill holes even tho the temp has been around -30 C .... used Magic carpets in the holes overnight ...do a bit of chipping (1" of ice...usually) and good to go . But the chipping is hard on the Magic carpets ...so now don't use them 

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Here is a shot of the interior ...I use a my modified version of the old "hockey-stick-spring-door-stop" tip-up on  the wall with the fishing line going to a rattle reel on the adjacent wall . With a small bell on the stick , not too much goes un-noticed .
Gets T-shirt warm in there .
I keep my minnows in the old drink cooler(beside hole)

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:55 PM »
The Walleye fishing hasn't been that good but we've had 3 good feeds(of walleye & perch) so far(me and the Missus.....and one supper that the daughter, her husband and my 3 1/2 year old grandson, attended)  and I've only had the shack out on the ice for a week tomorrow .
I didn't fish today, so tomorrow I will probably have to redrill my holes , or move the shack onto new holes. The shack slides fairly easily on my home-made skis .
But , Lordy is it ever heavy compared to my old portable .

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2006, 03:02 PM »
thats awesome.. great job
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Great looking shack.  That thing is a monster!!  How do you get that beast onto the ice?  4 Wheeler?
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:38 PM »
Thanks red eye for the compliment .
Thestanimal ...I put the shack on a double wide snow machine trailer(not an easy task ...the first time tried) and towed it to/onto the lake with my half-ton truck . Once all the ropes etc were off and the deck tilted... a slight push sent it  partly onto the ice .(those red foil-blades[under skis] from the mill sure are slippery) Driving the truck ahead let the rest of the shack down .
I'm working on an easier way to get the shack back onto the trailer...had a heck of time, by myself, pulling it on the tilted trailer with the truck....the chock blocks ahead of the trailer wheels kept slipping on my icy /snow-covered driveway . It should be easier on a level lake...plus I can drill anchor holes(for chock blocks) in the ice .
Sure is heavy and warm....
Uses a wood burning stove....no condensation on windows, Gump!

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Quote from: Thestanimal  a monster!! ..... beast
[/quote
??? Monster... beast ???...It's only 6' 3" wide by 9' 6" long.... outside measurements . ...with 6 foot walls .
The stovepipe is 4 inches in diameter ....windows (6) are 12 inches square...door is 18 inches wide  .
It is well proportioned....hardly a monster ;D ...heavy though .
Out of about 28 neighbouring shacks on the ice, mine is one of about 10 smaller ones .

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Looks great! 

How about a picture of your stove? 

Why did you run your stove pipe through the wall instead of the roof?

Great job! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.