Author Topic: Pop UP Sled?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pop UP Sled?
« on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Has anyone built a sled to put there hub shelter on so that it can be pulled around on the ice setup? I only asked because the wife is told me that I cannot buy a flip-over. So she claims she told me to put a sled underneath it so I can pull it around on the ice setup. I would like to hear if anyone has tried it and how it worked for them.  ??? ???
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Pop UP Sled?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:56 AM »
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:01 AM »
I have been thinking of doing this for years I just haven't done it yet.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 AM »
I've never heard of or seen anyone with mobile hub shelter...seems to me like the sled would have to be fairly big to cover the entire floor space when set up.

I'd sell the wife...errrr..sell the hub and get a flip-over if you want to be more mobile

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:14 AM »
I know the foot print of the Eskimo 949I is almost 8ft so I was thinking about two pieces of 4' x 8' plywood with a subfloor under it with runners might work.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:22 AM »
I have a QF3 and was thinking the same thing, like the idea of being mobile and off the ice my heater melts the ice in my shack and it get sloppy in there. I'd be pulling it with the ATV with some kind of ridged hitch.
Thomas Harris

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I've never fished in a hub, or know anyone that has one, but I have seen them used where I fish and it doesn't seem like a lot of work to set one up or take it down. I fish alone and use a flip over and haul it on a smitty sled, thanks again smitty,maybe a smitty sled for the hub will work.

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 AM »
There is a little more to it then a guy thinks. it takes me 20 minutes to pack it up. My friend that has a flip-over he can be ready in less than 5. So my thinking is if all of my gear is in there I can just leave it hooked up to my 4-wheeler and move when ever I want. Also I don't like slipping on the ice in my shanty.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2014, 12:02 PM »
There is a little more to it then a guy thinks. it takes me 20 minutes to pack it up. My friend that has a flip-over he can be ready in less than 5. So my thinking is if all of my gear is in there I can just leave it hooked up to my 4-wheeler and move when ever I want. Also I don't like slipping on the ice in my shanty.

I may give this some effort and make something I'd probably do it in two sections with large hinges down the center so it can be folded and loaded in the truck.
Thomas Harris

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2014, 12:07 PM »
There is no reason this cant be done...  Sure would nice, especially if you have something to move it when set up...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I agree it is a pain to move with a hub.
The trick will be to get it high enough so its not plowing snow and low enough your not a mile from the ice.
I'm going to do it, I hate being stuck in one spot with my hub. My wife also has me on a low budget for new gear due to my trip to lake of the woods in march. That's not going to be cheap...
Thomas Harris

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I do and I have an idea in my head. I think using 2x2 under 3/4" plywood but not sure how well the 2x2 would hold up. I think the 2x4s would make it to heavy. I don't want it sitting to up to high anyway.

Offline walleyerick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:00 PM »
I have a 6'x8' Clam Summit. Made a floor using 1/2 plywood 4'x 6' hinged in middle, gives me 1' all the way around on inside when set up. I made a smitty sled out of alum conduit that holds the floor(3'x4'). Stack everything on top of the floor, a couple of bungees and away I go. Pulls very easy by hand, keeps you off the ice. I painted the floor with latex primer and used an old shoulder strap off a duffel bag to make a handle to get floor off the ice if it starts to freeze down. Works for me alone but real slick when you have help. I could PM a phone #, don't have pics at this time
"Sappers lead the way "

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:06 PM »
I have a 6'x8' Clam Summit. Made a floor using 1/2 plywood 4'x 6' hinged in middle, gives me 1' all the way around on inside when set up. I made a smitty sled out of alum conduit that holds the floor(3'x4'). Stack everything on top of the floor, a couple of bungees and away I go. Pulls very easy by hand, keeps you off the ice. I painted the floor with latex primer and used an old shoulder strap off a duffel bag to make a handle to get floor off the ice if it starts to freeze down. Works for me alone but real slick when you have help. I could PM a phone #, don't have pics at this time

Could you explain how the electrical conduit is set up under the sled?

Offline walleyerick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Check your messages l sent you info
"Sappers lead the way "

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Check your messages l sent you info
Can you send it my way also? Do you have any pics.
Thomas Harris

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Can you send it my way also? Do you have any pics.

It was his phone number and I don't like to offer up other people information, but will post what I find out on here.

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I built one a coup years ago for my 6x8 didn't come out how I wanted and we had less than ideal ice that year so it ended up in the fire pit. I was just talking about making another alot lighter and pretty much just 2x4 runners with plywood on top for a 6x12 shelter.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Has anyone built a sled to put there hub shelter on so that it can be pulled around on the ice setup? I only asked because the wife is told me that I cannot buy a flip-over. So she claims she told me to put a sled underneath it so I can pull it around on the ice setup. I would like to hear if anyone has tried it and how it worked for them.  ??? ???

there is no reason why you cant build a permanent sled under your shanty
I built running gear out of steel and stainless ski's for a pop up shanty that we pulled with a JDX 4 John Deer sled
set it up on shore [7'x7'x5' high canvas] load the kids up and go
had heat,2 bunks with cushions ,16''x 48'' spearing hole
able to move to a different spot in 5 minutes
I still have the steel base but the rest has been parted out
I don't need a monster shanty any more fishing by my self

SnoHam13

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:01 PM »
I have been talking about doing this for years. This thread might be just the ticket to get it done! I am thinking an aluminum frame that is collapsible, so it could fit in a car and be pulled by hand. I would drill a hole in both skis for my Eskimo screws. That plus a rope and one more screw on the windy side. Imagine a new 949i!!!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:51 PM »

I think the biggest problem is that she has taken your belt away and your pants have fallen down.  Now if you can't find the belt, suspenders will have to do to regain your position in the pecking order.   ;D

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I think the biggest problem is that she has taken your belt away and your pants have fallen down.  Now if you can't find the belt, suspenders will have to do to regain your position in the pecking order.   ;D
I would but I just got a new four wheeler. she is still hot over that.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:04 PM »
i125.photobucket.com/albums/p51/mshoenhair/phone849_zps46684d39.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:09 PM »

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:15 PM »

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:21 PM »
This is what I built for my hub style. It is a pull sled that folds out with a piano hinge with an insulated floor and I can tell you a little buddy heater will roast you out of there. It's a good lil pond hopper but it is on the heavy side. 2 guys can handle it fine but its a chore for 1 guy to load and unload. :tipup:

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:45 AM »

that is what I am looking for. Have you moved it around the lake with the hub setup.?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Yes it moves around easy enough on the ice, especially with my ATV. The leading hub side will pop back in if you get going too fast or if you have high wind. The Eskimo QF3 has 4 anchor straps equipped with grommets on the inside of the tent. I use 1/4-20 thumb screws to attach the tent to the insulated base. I offset all my fishing holes in the base so when folded up with gear on it nothing can fall through the fishing holes. It is basically 1X4 and 2X2 construction with 1/2" plywood top, it is very sturdy I drilled and countersunk all of the deck screws to avoid splitting.

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Thank you for the information Shack man. After talking with my father-in-law AKA my fishing buddy we are going to attempt the build. 

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2014, 11:54 AM »
A few more pics... maybe...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.