Author Topic: the "Shark Tank" build thread (On Ice!!, pic finale)  (Read 14888 times)

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
the "Shark Tank" build thread (On Ice!!, pic finale)
« on: Nov 02, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Well, first off, I'd like to thank the others that posted their hard side builds, for the ideas, tips, and opinions. If you have any comments/ideas I'd love to hear them, as well as any constructive criticism if you see a mistake or something we have overlooked. I've been wanted to do this for a few years, but never really got around to it.

Day 1- To start off with, everything went wrong. First thing, when we got to the trailer, Id forgotten it was full of leaves, which were starting to compost, and I had to shovel them off. Second, we got ready to hook it on, my dad noticed the wheel-wells were completely full of mud, and we wasted 15 minutes of our all ready tight deadline of 10:30. Next we went to go pick up 1 of our windows from the shed, but once we loaded it we noticed it had a nice size crack in the corner. Took it off, found another, good thing we had a few extras laying around. Now we are finally off to town. Get there, load the trailer to double its weight limit with lumber, and now were off to the build sight, just a few minutes behind schedule. Phew.

So to start out the plan was to build a pretty decent sized shack, a 12'x8' with a one way sloped roof, and maybe sleep a few on fold down bunks.When we got there, us combined nine people knocked out a wall in a few minutes. Then we started thinking, and we thought, do we want a pure ice fishing shack, or a ice fishing man cave? ???;D We decided to go with the man cave, so it was back to town to upgrade in size to a 13'6''x10'. This added size ended up costing us quite a bit of time, because of time spent getting wood, and the extra work building walls and floors. (For this endeavor, beforehand we went to the local lumber yard and got some free 4''x6''x16' skids with a "nice :P" twist in them for free. We figure they saved $40-90ish so the twist could be built around.) For a tow bar, my uncle welded up a nice tow bar for front and back(pics in day 2), which keep the skids nice and solid, and allow the ends to be lifted with a chain and 3 point hitch. I didn't get any pics from the first day, but i stole a few from my moms camera @)(you can tell because their focused on people and not the hut ::)) here they are...

Floor closeer, door/window wall behind

another(notice how we free-ish floated the floor on 14'' 2x4's because of twist)

me changin' drill bits

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: First Fish hut/man cave
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2012, 06:05 PM »
COOL keep the pics comeing and I already laid claims to DA MAN CAVE as a name of a shack. LOL. ;D ;D

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:24 AM »
i remembered that as i was typing it, your copyright is still fine lol we still are undecided on the name

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Looking good Bob123, seems like you have a lot of helpers. Looking forward to more pictures, you have a great start fo shoo!!!!

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2012, 01:59 PM »
thanks, i think that day we had 9 guys ;D, it makes building bigger easier, as well as dividing costs.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Day 2- more pics, less of me rambling(it felt like I should have just wrote a novel for the first one lol), basically we framed an end wall as we had framed the end walls on day 1, but I didn't have any pics. So the list of things finished, is wall frames, flush mount hole covers, rafters, and framed out windows, with a little j channels for the tin. I know we will get alot of comments for 16 inch center 2x4s, yes it is not the norm, but you save 1-2 2x4s per wall which is what, max 8 pounds? Doing this also allows us to not use any plywood for the walls, so well there might be a bit of weight savings otherwise, its not a big deal if we are a week later on the ice. (feel free to post opinions on the weight savings, that was just my guess) Towing it out will be no problem though, we have lots of atvs and a side by side, and half-tons.

putting on rafters

skid

another angle on rafters

beefy support for pulling and lifting from

front wall

end wall

flush hole covers, shack has 6

shack will have be dual 12v/110 generator lighted

framing complete

some of the crew

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Day 3-picked up the tin, cut enough for roof, and hung door. sorry, no pics :(

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Looks great! Definitely going to be spacious.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2012, 02:48 PM »
thanks, i think that day we had 9 guys ;D, it makes building bigger easier, as well as dividing costs.

Always gotta love a "time-share" abode, lol. That thing is larger than my first apartment. Thanks Bob123 for the updates and congrates to all your lil' helpers as well.
Fish on!!!!

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2012, 02:56 PM »
Always gotta love a "time-share" abode, lol. That thing is larger than my first apartment. Thanks Bob123 for the updates and congrates to all your lil' helpers as well.
Fish on!!!!
it will mainly be four of us boys, but our dads will come along every so often, but i think there should always be enough room even if 2 family's come, people could always sit on the bunk beds, and also we are hoping to pull it beside the river to use as a summer fishing camp, so we also wanted it bigger for that. Ill keep the pics coming.

Bob123

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2012, 03:05 PM »
awsome! do you have any idea on weight?

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2012, 03:11 PM »
no, but i work part time as a janitor at the local grain elevator, ill probably just slip it thru their scale on the way to the river ;)

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: First Fish hut/man cave as we build
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2012, 05:15 PM »
does anyone have any experience with deep rib tin?

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2012, 06:08 PM »
finnaly getting to work on the shack, pics will come :). on the agenda is to work on the tin and windows. on a sidenote, also picked up a free stove that fits perfectly with our needs, fairly small, but will basically fit a cookie sheet on top

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Stoves inside are so nice, nothing better than fried food on a cold day of ice fishing. And I cant way to see the pics. ;D Just wondering where are you from it might help us give you some ideas on if you need to conserve weight or not.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:28 PM »
im on the red river, last year they drove the town pay-loader on the ice march 5th, and last year was warm. from what i heard people were using extensions until the day they took off the shacks.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2012, 09:37 AM »
im on the red river, last year they drove the town pay-loader on the ice march 5th, and last year was warm. from what i heard people were using extensions until the day they took off the shacks.
)Oh so you got nothing to worry about weight wise. Then deck it out to the max with all the toys. ;D

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2012, 04:38 PM »
well, worked on it some more yesterday, and got a fair bit done. We got almost all the straping done,as well as primed and sealed the floor and underside to prevent rot. We also re-attached the door, and sealed it with the only caulking we could find, aquarium caulking(hopefully not a sign of things to come:-\).

painted, no strapping

110 wireing

starting strapping

glad its not me up there

i can tell your jealous ;) @) (but seriously, its very airtight and solid)

next wall

done.
Total time spent-2 hours
After useing the aqurium qualking, we decided to name the shack "the shark tank" or something like that, and will put a plywood cutout of a shark head on the front and a shark tail on the back. @) have a great day.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2012, 04:43 PM »
And a fin on the roof? ;D

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2012, 04:59 PM »
yes, i forgot to mention that. @)

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:01 PM »

just a quick peak at the stove we got for free. does anyone know of a place to get stove paint in Canada? like home depot?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:53 PM »
You can use engin enamel from and autoparts store and then you can make it any color you want.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2012, 09:54 AM »
 thanks, the auto store is alot closer to home then a hardware store, ill try that.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Yesterday we hung the door, a window, framed a window caseing, tinned the roof and one wall. Stay tuned for pics.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Bob123, is that an H8060 or an H8080?
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Bob123, is that an H8060 or an H8080?
are you meaning the new holand?

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:55 PM »
are you meaning the new holand?
Yep
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:50 PM »
Yep
sorry, i don't know, its owned by one of the guys that we are building with

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Yesterday we hung the door, a window, framed a window caseing, tinned the roof and one wall. Stay tuned for pics.
Awesome dude, anxious to see your pictures. So far you and your crew are doing a stellar job.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:50 PM »
awesome

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.