Author Topic: Re: Ice Hut Build...FINISHED!!! Feb21  (Read 31906 times)

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Dec. 9)
« Reply #90 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:53 PM »
great thread may be watching close and using some of ur ideas few things diff i did was weld up some 2x2 square tubing and strapped it down around the runners to jack it up in case of freeze in also using 24000 btu furnace out of camper for heat hope it will be big enough to heat the place at minus 30

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Merry Christmas!

Just a little update.

I was supposed to be off work on Friday but my boss offered my the shift so I went in.  I did a bit of work in the morning and then went to surface for a free Chinese-food lunch, then I performed a magic trick...making myself disappear...so it was an easy day.  The only problem was that when I called my Father-in-law on Thursday night to tell him I couldn't work on the shack, he told me my Mother-in-law ordered it moved from the driveway and onto the lawn, so X-mas visitors would have somewhere to park.  I wasn't really looking forward to it.

We had to move it down the driveway about 10 feet and then over another 20 feet or so onto the lawn.  The driveway is gravel and there's a recently poured curb and all the dirt excavated when forming it between the driveway and lawn.  The thing is, it went really well.  I was thinking about Billy Bob and his eagerness to see video of the shack "on the move", but was concentrating on what I had to do and didn't take any pics.  Sorry Bob.  Next time. 

We just jacked up the front and took the milk crates out from the corners, then slid 2x10 sixteen foot planks under the skis, then jacked up the back and took out those milk crates.    Then we put lanyards around the hut and using the winch on my jeep, skidded the shack along the planks.  When the shack got far enough down the driveway to where we could move it laterally (there was a tree in the way) we jacked up the hut, pulled the planks, put the crates back, and put the planks going the other way.  Using my winch with my Jeep parked on the neighbour's driveway, we slid the hut down those planks and onto two others, until it was where we wanted it.  Then  we jacked it up, pulled the planks, put the crates in and dropped 'er down.  Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy, George and Weezy.  Here it is resting on the new site just before I took the planks out.

I was a little ticked off about having to waste part of my day moving the hut, knowing when I was done I'd be no closer to having a finished shack.  However, when I got there I was amazed to see the Old Man had finished the roof by himself.  He said he just plugged away at it a couple hours at a time throughout the week.  It's awesome.  Check it...

Now I've got four walls and a roof.  It's a shack now, and not just a pile of materials waiting to be a shack.  I'm pumped.  I had thought if I was lucky my Father-in-law would have done a little of the wall insulation that still needs doing, but when I saw he'd finished the whole roof I was blown away.  He was up and down on a ladder who knows how many times, and getting the 1/2 ply sheets almost nine feet up by himself must have been no easy task.  Like all good partners...the times he does stuff like that make up for the times he does stuff that makes me want to choke him.   

Here's a pic of the stove I got from my Brother-in-law for free...

It's pretty heavy, but shouldn't burn out any time soon.  The fire bricks on the sides are mostly intact but the ones on the bottom are missing.  I'll replace them.  I found an old road sign my Father-in-law "acquired" behind his shed which I think I'll use to rest the stove on.  Then after the paneling is up I'll put roofing metal in the corner behind where the stove and pipe will go.  I'll screw it down with spacers between the wall and metal, so a little air gets back there.

A final pic for the update which I'm happy to show is this...

Just after we finished moving the shack it started to snow in Sudbury and hasn't stopped since.  We're going to have a white X-mas after all.  Considering the ice is still very thin, the weight of the snow is probably going to cause some major slush...the forecast is for mild weather so that slush won't be stiffening up anytime soon. Still, I'm happy I'll get to see the white stuff on X-mas day. 

Merry Christmas to everyone, and thanks again for checking out my build thread. 

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:02 PM »
looks good

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Dec. 28)
« Reply #93 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:30 AM »
Quick update...

I hope everyone had as merry a Christmas as I did.  Lots of family around and too much to eat and drink.  That's what I'm talkin' about.

So the shack is now FULLY INSULATED!!!  I did the floor with 3 inch HD foam before I flipped it over.  We finished the walls with 2 inch a couple days ago.

North wall...

West wall...

South wall...

And the east wall with the door hung...

We made the door when we built the wall so only had to hang it.  I had to touch up one spot with the belt sander but now have a snug fit that doesn't stick.  I put a hasp on so we can leave our stuff in there at the end of the day and lock it up.

I did the ceiling with the same 3 inch stuff I used for the floor.  I've got 1/4 OSB I'm going to panel it with but want to cut the hole for the stove pipe first.  The problem is that it's 20 below with a windchill of minus 33, so I'm not eager to get on the roof of that thing with a sabre saw, or start playing with stove pipe.  I did just get off work, so a warm bed appeals to me more.  We'll see how the Old Man is feeling and go from there...

Thanks for checking in.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Put a heat shield behind the stove so you don't burn your wall.

MD

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Put a heat shield behind the stove so you don't burn your wall.

MD

Absolutely.  After I panel I'm going to put up some metal roofing (or maybe ducting), screwed to the studs with spacers between.  It's resting on an old road sign to protect the floor too.  We just put it in place to mark the spot for the pipe.  I just found out I can't put the pipe on until after I get it where it's going because it will be over the maximum height for tilt and loads if I do.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Absolutely.  After I panel I'm going to put up some metal roofing (or maybe ducting), screwed to the studs with spacers between.  It's resting on an old road sign to protect the floor too.  We just put it in place to mark the spot for the pipe.  I just found out I can't put the pipe on until after I get it where it's going because it will be over the maximum height for tilt and loads if I do.

I used metal roofing behind my stove and ducting on the floor it worked great good luck thanks for another fix.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #97 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:07 PM »
With how well insulated that is it could be a sona, kind of like the one in grumpy  old men.LOL but it rally looks nice.

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:05 PM »
 :clap: :clap:

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Jan 1)
« Reply #99 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Update...Jan 1

We finished paneling the roof.  It went well and I'm happy with how it looks.  The seams are perfect.

I was planning on using something other than OSB to panel the walls but after seeing it on the ceiling I'm going to use it on the walls.  We went and picked up what we'll need and put it in the shack.

You may notice in that pic that we also foamed the gaps around the two sliding windows today.  I had bought two cans put only needed part of one so I used the rest in the corners between the nailers.  The place is nicely insulated and (with the hole covers temporarily screwed down) draft free.  I've got this heater...

...and ran it on high for about 20 minutes.  I had to turn it down to low after a while because it was getting too hot in there.  I've got one of those wireless outside/inside temperature gauges set up on the shack and noticed this...

A thirty degree difference in temperature between the outside and inside.  I'm thinking I'll be happy I've got those sliding windows once the wood stove is rockin'.  I might need the door open too.

That'll be it for a couple of days.  There's a ton of work at the mine my boss is panicking to get done so he's letting us work as much OT as we want.  With Christmas just over and a few things such as metal roofing yet to purchase, I can't turn down the opportunity to work.  Building a switchroom 5000 feet underground isn't as much fun as building an ice shack, but it pays a little better.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Nice job looks like your getting close to being on the ice.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:44 PM »
A little update...Jan 8

I had only one day off this week, Thursday.  I had a few other things to do so didn't get to the build until after noon.  We started paneling the walls with 1/4 inch OSB.  I had previously planned on using something a lot nicer, like the "Alpine White Oak" interior paneling I saw at Lowe's...but it's $20 a sheet and 1/4 OSB is about $6.  If I was making this decision near the beginning of the build instead of near the end, I'd almost certainly have gone with the more expensive option, but with the budget beginning to stretch thin, I decided to "cheap out".  I think it looks OK.  Pretty good even.  Here's the first wall two-thirds completed...

And here it is finished.  There's a quartz light on in the shack...just in case you think it's on fire.

One down, three to go.  By the time we finished that one the Old Man wanted to call it a day so I had a beer with him inside and then went back out and put the hole covers in.  They are 3/4 plywood with two inch wide strips for the hinges.  They lay flat and flush and hinge up out of the way.   I still need to put deadbolts on but I don't won't to be tripping over them and their saddles while I'm still working in there.  I think I'll glue some circles made out of my left-over insulation to the bottoms too.

I've got at least two more days of high voltage construction underground, so the shack will have to wait.  I should be able to finish the paneling on my next days off, depending on how many of them I get.

Thanks for checking in.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Jan.7)
« Reply #102 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:01 PM »
are you going to cut the bottoms out of five gallon buckets and drop them thru the floor and thru the ice once it's in place? That way you eliminate the draft from under the shanty.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:51 PM »
are you going to cut the bottoms out of five gallon buckets and drop them thru the floor and thru the ice once it's in place? That way you eliminate the draft from under the shanty.

I already did.  If you look at the last picture on page four, you can see them in place.  They're put away for now. 

The other nice thing about the buckets is they provide a lip to (hopefully) prevent anything kicked or dropped across the floor from going down the holes.

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I've been following your build from the beginning and just went back to page 1 and read through all of it again to get all of the comments and tips. You had mentioned a generator room. How is that coming along? Are you planning a generator room/potty separate or what?? My hat is off to you and your father-in-law! You need to get him signed up on IS!! He would make a great member of the Grumpy Old Men Shanty!! Then he could tell tales on you!! It's called payback!! Something us old folk are good at! LOL.. Just kidding and love the build.  Keep the updates comming and thanks for sharing it with us!! I'm not alone, your view count is up to 4711 or so!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Looking good like always.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I've been following your build from the beginning and just went back to page 1 and read through all of it again to get all of the comments and tips. You had mentioned a generator room. How is that coming along? Are you planning a generator room/potty separate or what?? My hat is off to you and your father-in-law! You need to get him signed up on IS!! He would make a great member of the Grumpy Old Men Shanty!! Then he could tell tales on you!! It's called payback!! Something us old folk are good at! LOL.. Just kidding and love the build.  Keep the updates comming and thanks for sharing it with us!! I'm not alone, your view count is up to 4711 or so!!

I don't remember mentioning anything about a generator "room"...but I did talk about bringing out a generator, charger, battery(s) and inverter.  I figured I'd just use the generator occasionally to top up the batteries, and use them and the inverter most of the time.  The generator will just sit it the back of the truck I suppose.  If it's really cold out I'll bring it inside (only 1200 watts...I can carry it myself) to warm up before I run it, but I hadn't really considered a separate structure for it.  Maybe next year I'll build some kind of cover for it, but I have other priorities.

As for a potty...that is something I have been giving some thought to.  I have friends with camps on the river and therefore access to an outhouse or two.  That's fine for me but my Father-in-law needs a sit-down more frequently than me, so a snowmobile ride or drive in the truck every time he needs to go probably won't work for him.  I was thinking of getting a cheap pop-up ice shelter and fabricate something that will accommodate a garbage bag as a receptacle.  Not luxurious by any means, but it should do the trick, so to speak.

I appreciate your "hat's off" but can assure you that my Father-in-Law (I called him "Old Man" one time when we were arguing and it became our little joke...it's a term of respect and endearment which he gets, I assure you) deserves most of the credit.  He's build four houses and lost track of the camps, sheds and shacks he's thrown up over the years.  I footing the bill, and in the beginning told him what I wanted...but he is the man with the plan.  I was going to build it on my own, but would have a piece of wobbly, drafty junk right now, instead of something I am exceedingly happy with, and that will last for years.  it's unlikely that he'll be logging on here or anywhere else anytime soon...but I'll tell him what you had to say and I can guarantee he'll get a big kick out of it.  Also, you're right that he'd have a tale or two to tell about yours truly.

I started the thread and have been continually updating it more as a journal that I can look back on and because it's something I enjoy doing, but I'm learning that others are enjoying it too, and that makes me feel pretty good.  I don't know why.  Thanks for your encouraging words and I will be keeping the updates coming.  I can't wait to be able to post some pics of the shack on the ice, rocking out loud, so to speak.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Looking good like always.

Appreciated, like always.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Gettin there F&W!

You could always paint the inside walls some time to add a different look than the OSB. I paint whatever I can to preserve the wood from moisture.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Gettin there F&W!

You could always paint the inside walls some time to add a different look than the OSB. I paint whatever I can to preserve the wood from moisture.

I was thinking I might want to paint or stain the walls one day.  My Father-in-law doesn't think it will take it...he thinks the smooth side (which we have out) is treated with some kind of wax.  I think it's just sanded.  Does anyone know what the deal is on OSB or what is recommended?

I don't know if I'd like the look of painted OSB...I might want to treat it with some kind of clear stain to bring out it's brightness. 

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:12 PM »
OSB is fairly weather resistant (to a point), I think the glue is the key.

Its usually tongue and groove though, you sure its not CDX?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rickl1968

« Reply #111 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:19 PM »
I was thinking I might want to paint or stain the walls one day.  My Father-in-law doesn't think it will take it...he thinks the smooth side (which we have out) is treated with some kind of wax.  I think it's just sanded.  Does anyone know what the deal is on OSB or what is recommended?

I don't know if I'd like the look of painted OSB...I might want to treat it with some kind of clear stain to bring out it's brightness.

Just the glue.

Ive seen guys stain it, and then it darkens right up after a little smoke from their wood stove.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:35 PM »
OSB is fairly weather resistant (to a point), I think the glue is the key.

Its usually tongue and groove though, you sure its not CDX?

It said "OSB" on the side of the bundle.  It's only 1/4 inch though...would it even be possible to tongue and groove 1/4 OSB?  The tongues and grooves would be almost paper thin...they'd break before they left the mill.  Maybe I'm wrong...it wouldn't be the first time.

It was my impression that OSB is far from weather resistant, at least compared to ply.  There was some full sheets at my camp that were left out for a few years and they swelled up to about twice their original thickness and broke apart under their own weight.  They took a good while and a hot fire to burn.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:37 PM »

Just the glue.

Ive seen guys stain it, and then it darkens right up after a little smoke from their wood stove.

I don't want that.  The shack is a little darker than I'd like as is so I want the paneling to stay light.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:41 PM »
It said "OSB" on the side of the bundle.  It's only 1/4 inch though...would it even be possible to tongue and groove 1/4 OSB?  The tongues and grooves would be almost paper thin...they'd break before they left the mill.  Maybe I'm wrong...it wouldn't be the first time.

It was my impression that OSB is far from weather resistant, at least compared to ply.  There was some full sheets at my camp that were left out for a few years and they swelled up to about twice their original thickness and broke apart under their own weight.  They took a good while and a hot fire to burn.

Dunno about the 1/4 being T&G, youre probably right.

It does resist water decay better than other chip board relatives. Thats why its used in roof decking. It wont last uncovered though.

Offline Youcanttuna Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:37 PM »
OSB isn't tongue and groove unless its subfloor. Normal osb is not weather resistant and will start to swell right away.

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:40 PM »
It's looking great. I wish I had enough ice around this area to be able to iluse something like that. Living vicariously through this thread. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the benches/bunks.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:36 PM »
awesome looking shack. thanks for all the pics of the build. this will help alot of people out there who are looking to build there own shack. some really great ideas in the design of the shack. love the design of the flip lids over the holes. simple and very effective.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:21 PM »
OSB isn't tongue and groove unless its subfloor. Normal osb is not weather resistant and will start to swell right away.

Thats odd considering being fairly weather resistant is one of the selling points of OSB, and also why the T&G is a common option used on roof decking.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:07 PM »
So do I have to treat the 1/4 inch OSB I'm using as interior paneling for the walls and roof?  It's not going to get wet directly very much, but it will probably see a fair amount of condensation...both while in use in the winter and while stored for the summer. 

Come to think of it, snow and ice on the floor that melts and pools at the base of the wall will wick up it.  I should probably put something on them.  I'm not sure what though...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.