Author Topic: Re: Ice Hut Build...FINISHED!!! Feb21  (Read 31902 times)

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Jan.7)
« Reply #120 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Any kind of sealer will work just coat it liberally. Osb is not a good outside material and if you notice on new homes that got sheeted and didn't get covered before a rain will swell up and you'll see the seems every 8 foot. I've also never heard of osb t&g used for roof decking unless of course you're talking about a flat roof otherwise we usually use 5/8" or 1/2" with spacers in between it so it can expand and contract.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:36 PM »
So do I have to treat the 1/4 inch OSB I'm using as interior paneling for the walls and roof?  It's not going to get wet directly very much, but it will probably see a fair amount of condensation...both while in use in the winter and while stored for the summer. 

Come to think of it, snow and ice on the floor that melts and pools at the base of the wall will wick up it.  I should probably put something on them.  I'm not sure what though...

I think if you give it a coat or 2 of outdoor paint it would last awhile with condensation, you should get years out of it.

I try to get some paint on the wood in my shacks to give it a little more protection from moisture.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Major milestone...mini update.

After three consecutive days I could have had off but dedicated to "the Company", I finally had one to myself.  I slept in a bit because I haven't been able to do so for a while and was at the build site by 10:30 or so.  First we started the heater and then we spent a few minutes clearing the area in front of the shack (where the sawhorse is) of snow.  Then we went to work.

By then end of the day we finished all the interior paneling.  I think it looks awesome and clears the way to begin benches, shelves and wiring. 

I hear there are trucks on the ice where this thing is destined so I figure I'll do one bench and one shelf and then get it on the ice.  I can finish the rest of the inside stuff there (using a generator for the power tools) and as an added bonus...can fish while doing so.

It won't be long, gents.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Jan.14)
« Reply #123 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:07 PM »
So close F&W!

Can you visualize the sun peeking in the window at sunrise and the sound of ice popping under the floor yet?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:55 PM »
So close F&W!

Can you visualize the sun peeking in the window at sunrise and the sound of ice popping under the floor yet?

Yes. 

Yes I can.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:57 PM »
LOL

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #126 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Nice shack man, its going to be HOT. For how well insulated you have it I dont think you would need a stove half that size to cook you out of it!

Looks great.  :tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Lookin good you should be fishing soon.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Nice shack man, its going to be HOT. For how well insulated you have it I dont think you would need a stove half that size to cook you out of it!

Looks great.  :tipup:

I got the stove for free off my Brother-in-law.  He had it in his shed/workshop and I had seen it before, but in my mind pictured it being a fair bit smaller.  I'll have to learn to regulate the burn with the size and amount of wood I put in and the amount of air I give it.  Also I have two sliding windows and if worst comes to worst...I can leave the door open.  ;)

I know the stove will get that place rockin' like a sauna, because my propane heater I'm using during construction gets that place toasty in no time.  I'd rather have a shack that heats up "too easily" than one that never does.  Having to open a window or two is preferable to not being able to take off your gloves, as far as I'm concerned.  Also, being able to hang up wet clothes and gloves and dry them out quickly is a big bonus.

I didn't take any pics, but I put up two 8-foot long, 16 inch wide shelves, affixed the reflective material behind where the stove will go, and started wiring.  I'm hoping to finish the stationary bench by the end of the weekend, because...

I HAVE TENTATIVELY BOOKED A TILT-AND-LOAD FOR THIS COMING MONDAY.  IT'S TIME,  BOYS!!!!

The rest of the work will be done on the ice.  I've got a brand new 1500 watt starting/1200 watt continuous generator that will run all my tools, so why not fish while working?  I can't believe I'm actually this close.  My God I'm pumped.  It's the first thing I think about when I get up in the morning and the last thing I think about when I go to bed.  I know a lot could still go wrong and I'm still pretty far from being about to relax in there, but I'm getting closer all the time and think I can see a light at the end of a long tunnel.   

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Great news F&W!

Take lots of pics of the maiden voyage, and I hope you have a great day.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Great news F&W!

Take lots of pics of the maiden voyage, and I hope you have a great day.

X2 have fun

Offline rickasha

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY,FISHY,FISHY
« Reply #131 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:24 PM »
 :o :o :o GEEEEESH !!!!! MY house isn't built that well and its over 100 years old @) @) :tipup: FISH ON!!!!!!!!
IF YOU CAN`T GET`M TO BITE,USE DINOMITE!!
WISH`N I WAS FISH`N
MEMBER OF WEST MICHIGAN WALLEYE CLUB
LIFE MEMBER: NRA & NORTH AM FISHING
Fav quote;  THE TAXI DERMY MAN IS GONE`A HAVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN HE SEE`S WHAT I BE BRING`EM

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Looks great man! We just built a new one for the Ottawa river, took it's maiden voyage today.

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:34 PM »
OK...so here's where I'm at now.

I put up two 16" x 8' shelves.  I made them to accommodate my hole inserts on the top shelf and my open lap-top on the bottom.

I put up the reflector for behind the stove...

There's a few inches clearance at the bottom and where it's attached to the walls I spaced it out the width of a 1/4 nut.  It should keep the corner from catching fire, and doesn't look too bad, considering it was a piece of scrap I got for nothing.

I still need to cut the hole for the stove but will wait until it's on the ice.  I'll transport the stove in the back of the truck, not in the shack.

I'm done all the wiring.  It's all 120V, but my lighting is LED.  My buddy (another electrician) got me the fixtures at a price that made me not ask where they came from.  There's one at either end of the shack and they are independently controlled.  I also put in a switch and ran a cable for an outside light, which I'll install later.  There are five receptacles on the inside and one on the outside.     If you plug a generator, inverter, or power-pack into any of them (with a male/male cord) the whole shack is live.

In the second pic you can see I put the framing for a couple more shelves in the corner.  You may also notice my satellite radio boom box...which I ran the cord for the receiver to the outside when I ran my exterior light.  Three bars!  Howard Stern rules.

You can also see on that pic that I framed the door, put all the hardware on it and installed a door stop.  There was a little bit of air getting through the crack around the door before, but now not even light gets through.  It's a good, tight seal. 

I finished a 6'2" permanent bench/bunk, and started the (approx) 5'6" flip-up bench/bunk.  It started with a (almost) 12 foot 2x4 screwed to the back wall at a top height of 18". 

I had to notch it where the cable is...

Once I framed it (nothing in the middle...might put one in later) I screwed some 1/2 plywood the Old Man had laying around down and here it is.  Sorry about all the stuff in the way.

With only a few more little things to finish inside, we turned our attention to mounting something solid to the skis to pull from. 

I took out the last bolt on each ski.  There's still plenty and a ton of glue in there, so I don't think they'll be missed.

Then I reamed out the 1/2 holes to one inch, using a step-shaped spade bit.

Then we cut 1 1/4 inch pipe to fit between the skis, and inserted 1 inch (that's right) threaded rod from one ski, through the pipe, and out the other, then put washers and nuts on. 

Then I put one the exact same on the other side.  They'll give me something solid the pull the thing from until I get an actual tow-yoke installed (next year?).  I can also use them as somewhere to put my Jack-all when I need to lift the shack.  The first thing I'll need one for is as a winch point when I lower it down the boat launch, so I'm ready for that now.

I even got my Ice Hut Registration from the MNR in the mail yesterday, so I'll be all nice and legal.  Tuesday should be the day.  I have to work until Sunday, so that will give me Monday to prepare, all day Tuesday for the move, and leave me Wednesday and Thursday to set things up.  Then I have to work five night-shifts followed by 14 days in a row off.  By the end of that time I'll have got some use out of it, I'm sure.

Don't worry.  I'll take a bunch of pics...maybe even try out the video function on my camera. 

Thanks for checking in.

F>W

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Looking good can't wait to see it on the ice take lots of pics ;D

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Nice work F&W!

I can smell the bacon and eggs cooking on the wood stove right now.....

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Hut Build...it's on the ice. Feb 2
« Reply #136 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Well...I did it.

The shack is on the ice, I fished from it and spent the night.  Pretty much everything went really well.

The day started off not so great...I jumped in the loaded Jeep and headed down the street to pick up bait before heading to my Father-in-law's to meet the tilt-and-load guy.  Part way there I heard a funny, "tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk" and then it stopped.  When I hopped out at the bait shop I heard a hissing, felt around on my tire and discovered a puncture.  I immediately jumped back in and flew the two blocks home while I still could.  My spare was at my Dad's and he couldn't bring it to me, so I put a plug in, pumped it up and threw soapy water on it...no bubbles, good to go.  Whew!  I figured if that was the worse thing that happened to me that day, I'd be golden.

I got to my Father-in-law's just before 10 am, the time when the tilt-and-load guy was expected.  I was worried about the long trip on a freshly plugged tire, so I sent my Father-in-law to my Dad's place to pick up the spare, and I waited for the tilt-and-load.  I found myself feeling somewhat nervous, and had to drink a beer to calm myself down.

When the tow-guy got there, he and his partner looked the thing over and said it shouldn't be a problem.  He asked about the weight, and all I said was, "A lot lighter than most cars you've had up there."  Then they went to work.

I've never posted a video...I hope it works.  You have to click on it I think.  If you didn't catch it, after the kid shoves the shack so it's square on the deck, he says "It's pretty light!" or something like that.  The actual loading went great.  They chained and strapped it down and we were on our way.

I followed behind until we got near the turnoff and then I passed and he followed me the rest of the way.  He told me he had the peddle flat down and we rarely went faster than 80km...on hills we sometimes we barely breaking 60.  The tow-truck guy said it was like towing a parachute.  Each time we came to a section on the highway with a passing lane about a million truckers would give us dirty looks as they blew by. 

Going through town.

The speedo

On the highway.

When we got to the marina, the tow guy backed up to the boat launch, and tipped 'er down.

Then he used his winch to ease the shack down the launch.  When it got to a flat spot near the bottom he unhooked it, I paid him the $200 we agreed on (I also shot $20 to his helper) thanked him and he was on his way.  I can think of a lot worse ways I've blown 220 bucks...I consider it money well spent.

I was too busy for the next little while to take any pics.  But I can tell you that I was (sort of) able to tow the shack with my quad.  At the bottom of the ramp where the shack was resting, there was nice packed snow where I could get half-decent traction.  With my chum at the back of the shack using a 2x4 as a pry, the shack slowly started to budge and after a second or two I was towing it (as fast as I'd want to) down the lake.  I stopped to let my buddy and Father-in-law catch up, but once on the near glare-ice of the lake, couldn't get it moving again...my worn, stock tires just spun.  I had to resort to the Jeep, which I had always suspected I would.  It moves the thing no problem.  It even turns OK.

So here is the pic I've been wanting to post for a couple of months now.  The shack ON THE ICE!

x

You'll notice I didn't say the "completed" shack on the ice.  I still have a couple of things to do.  The metal for the roof has been ordered, but until I get it up, I'll make due with a tarp.  The stove and stove pipe need to be installed.  I'm waiting on my neighbour who is making me a metal box to feed the pipe through and insulate it from any combustibles.  There's a couple other things too.  I'm hoping to finish during my two weeks off in February.

The shack is quite usable though.  I spend the night in there using propane heat.  I had a digital CO monitor, and it's a good thing, because it went off at one point, and I had to leave the door open for 20 minutes while I sat outside and let it air out.  Once the reading was back to zero I went back in, but turned the heater down and opened the windows up some more.  Things were OK after that, but being able to check and knowing an alarm would sound was comforting.  You'd be taking a big chance without one.

So in addition to getting my shack on the ice and spending time in there...I also did a bit of fishing.  With more work to do on it and this being just the maiden voyage, I situated the shack fairly close to the launch.  The fishing there is hit and miss (at best) with little chance of a walleye bite...just a few crappie and the occasional pike.  That's pretty much what happened.  I got kind of a mixed bag of junk.  It was fun though.  Here is the first fish ever "hauled" through a hole in the floor of my shack.

I think I might print it off, frame it and hang it up in the shack.  Like how businesses do that with their first dollar earned.

I didn't get much in the shack.  There was that first perch, a rock-bass...

and then my Father-in-law landed this beauty...

I got a couple of crappie and pike outside the shack.  This crappie was the only one worth getting the camera out for...

I also got some pike...a couple hammer handles and three that were slightly better...like this.

I released everything but one pike that was bleeding bad, one little crappie and that first perch because their air bladders were in their mouths and they wouldn't swim down the hole. 

Here's a few random pics...

I've still got a few things to do, so an update or two will yet be forthcoming.  Thanks for checking out my ice hut build.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Turned out great

rickl1968

« Reply #138 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Nice to watch it go from the driveway to the ice.

Thanks again for all the pictures and the step by step.
Keep us updated with new additions.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:32 PM »
it's too bad the door seems to be right in front of the pulling point cause i was going to say that with the giant piece of threaded rod in there a piece of 3/4 pipe would fit over the rod and then you could weld a little triangle pull hitch on it.  nice looking shack though!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Re: Ice Hut Build...it's on the ice. Feb 2
« Reply #140 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Great to see it on the ice F&W, looks like youre in business now!

That looks exactly like the 1st fish I jigged in my 4x8. LOL

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Nice job it looks great on the ice keep us posted ;D

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #142 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Great job ! Nice to have it on the ice. ! Enjoy !
---- Joe ----

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:27 AM »
it's too bad the door seems to be right in front of the pulling point cause i was going to say that with the giant piece of threaded rod in there a piece of 3/4 pipe would fit over the rod and then you could weld a little triangle pull hitch on it.  nice looking shack though!

I have the same arrangement on the side opposite the door and was planning on installing a rigid tow-bar of some kind there.  3/4 pipe won't do though...the rod is a full one inch.

Thanks.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:37 AM »
 :o..Wow,The fort knox of ice shanty's..Great read..Thanks for the entertainment
Jig em up!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I have the same arrangement on the side opposite the door and was planning on installing a rigid tow-bar of some kind there.  3/4 pipe won't do though...the rod is a full one inch.

Thanks.

Oh wow one full inch...then 1" or 1 1/4" should work....sounds like you already know what I'm talking about and have a plan...good work!

Offline fishnwire

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Hut Build...FINISHED!!! Feb21
« Reply #146 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Well, I spent most of the last two weeks at the hut.  The fishing wasn't fantastic, but the experience was exactly that.  I put the stove in and installed the metal on the roof...I have plans for another shelf or two, but I'm comfortable saying the shack is finished.  I've even got a perfect spot picked out on the shore of my buddy's place where I will summer the shack, so I'm all set.

I guess the first thing I'll mention is that I'm really happy with the insulated planks I made to use to block up the shack.  They are just 10 foot pressure treated 2x8s with high density foam board glued to the bottoms.  I had hoped by placing the insulated side (which doesn't conduct heat) down it would retard the rate at which they freeze into the ice.  It seems to work pretty well.  I just jack up one side of the shack at a time, slide in a plank, and lower it down.  I left the shack like that for about five days and when I returned I was able to break the seal between them and the ice (once I jacked the shack up of course) by just kicking them with my boot.

The first time I stayed in the shack the wood stove was not installed, so I was heating with propane.  The first thing we did this time was get it into place.  My neighbour built me a collar for the stove pipe out of ducting steel, and I filled it with that fireproof "Rockwool" insulation.

I put the stove where I wanted it, measured where the stove pipe hole would need to be and marked it.  Then I pulled the stove out of the way, marked where the collar would go and cut out the ceiling panel.

Then I cut out the insulation in the ceiling.

I cut the hole in the roof about 3/4 inch smaller than the collar and ceiling hole so that I'd have something to screw the collar to.  I remember thinking, "Holy crap...I just cut a huge hole in my perfectly good roof!"

Then we put the collar in, and with the Old Man pushing up on in from the inside, I got on the roof and put screws down into it, pulling it up into place. 

Then the stove pipe...also I re-hung the heat shield which I had to take down because it was in the way of the sabre saw.

Then we put a piece of 1/2 thick cement tile board in the space where the roof was removed, to bring up that space to the level of the rest of the roof.

Finally I put the snow-cap on.

And we were ready to have our first fire in the shack...

I kept the fire fairly low for a while, only putting one or two small pieces of wood at a time in, and I kept checking the collar, heat shield, and wood around them.  Everything was staying cool, and even though it was already too hot in the shack, I loaded the stove right up.  It didn't take long for the temperature in the shack to get ridiculous...quite literally "like a sauna".  I noticed though that with the stove rockin' out loud like that, the collar and paneling beside the heat shield started getting alarmingly hot.  The thing is, there's absolutely no need to have that big a fire anyway.  Even with the shack around 30 degrees C the collar and paneling stay cool.  If I ever got the stove glowing red though...I'd probably burn the shack down. 

The other problem with the stove is that the top doesn't really get hot enough to cook on.  If you leave a pot or kettle of water on there, it will eventually boil...but it took me about twenty minutes to make a grilled cheese sandwich, and I had to resort to putting the pan right in the stove for the last minute or so to get the bread to brown.  My Father-in-law tried cooking bacon on it one morning.  It made the shack smell great, but even after about a half hour, the bacon was far from crispy.

The next time I went to town I picked up a two-burner propane stove that gets so hot it boils ice-cold water in about three minutes.  I'm real happy with it.

The first thing I did when I got back to the shack after that supply run was remove the (now cool) stove pipe so I could put the metal for the roof on.  We were lucky to get a good day for it...sunny and not too much wind.  It went well.  I've got just the amount of overhang I want and with the addition of some high-temp silicon around the hole for the stove pipe, is water-tight.

So here is the shack in its completed glory!!!

Here's the inside...it's pretty messy.

In case you're wondering, "Are those your pants on the bunk behind your laptop?"...the answer is, "Yes.  Yes they are."  I like ice fishing in my socks and underwear.

The leather chair is the best seat in the house, and it is offered to whomever is the guest of honour.

As I mentioned, the fishing has not been great.  I caught (and released) around a dozen pike in the 1-4 lb range, a bunch of little crappie and perch, and this one pike that was worth taking a pic of.

I also caught one really nice crappie that I had my Father-in-law take a picture of me with, but the photo is beyond terrible.  I even told him to take three...and they are all out of focus and off-frame.  He cannot seem to take a good picture even with it set to auto.  How is that possible?

Well I guess that's the end of my "Ice Hut Build" thread.  Thanks to everyone who offered up advice or lent a hand, and thanks for checking out the thread.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #147 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Nothing better than getting some good use out of something you built yourself, you should get lots of years worth of good memories out of this shack. Well done, cheers!
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Looks great hope you enjoy it. :tipup: ;D.Thanks for posting the build i really looked forward to your updates. ;D

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Hut Build...A work in Progress (update Dec. 9)
« Reply #149 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:16 PM »

I did spend a fair amount of time in the garage after the floor was finished with a tape measure, magic marker, mock bench, and jigging rod...trying stuff out.  I'm close to ideal...as opposed to huts we've been in whose lay-out is far from ideal.  It was between having to stretch out a little as opposed to jigging practically between your feet...I made the right decision.  (I hope.)

If its between ur feet you can sightfish easier

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.