Author Topic: Heater Placement  (Read 1637 times)

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heater Placement
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I recently acquired an almost new Portable Buddy heater.  My previous heat source was a Mr. Heater butterfly type that was fixed on a 20 lb tank.  The only place it would fit without burning anything was in front of the holes in my Frabill XLT.  I did the same with the Buddy until I got lazy one day and left it behind the seat.  It worked much better as the heat had to go around me to get to the vent (the only vent in my older portable is the door), resulting in using a lower heat setting.  It also seems to help with the drip as it does not melt the ice resulting in much less moisture.

All in all, Heater in front:
More moisture
More propane used
More obstruction
Chance of burning line on heater and losing fish!

All these problems reversed if placed behind you!

Offline DrydenBuckHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heater Placement
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Thats where I keep my heater in my clamcorp yukon.  Seems to keep it the warmest, you just have to watch what you leave in the sleigh or on the seats (my girlfriend melted the sleeve on her jacket one year hahaha)
/Users/apatco/Documents/onlogo4so4.gif

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I put my Buddy heater behind the seats also. My XLT has a vent at the top on the left side though. It must be a newer model. When I had it on the ice by the door it would melt the ice and you could hardly stand up it was so slippery. If I put it by the door now I set it on a milk crate to keep it from doing this.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ICEano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • work to live, live to fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:20 PM »
behind also helps keep the wind from blowing out the pilot

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:38 AM »
I recently made a holder in my clam scout for my little Mr heater buddy.Now it sets permanently behind me.I love not messing with it every time I move.

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:42 AM »
any pics of brackets or what have for mr heater buddy placement for behind the seat in a scout
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline beerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • beer is proof that god loves us
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:41 PM »
 that sounds like a good idea ;D i only have mr heater tank top on 20 pound tank i have to keep it in front of the door and open of course in my frabill trekker 2  it still warms it up tp much most of the time i relies on my north star lantern it does a good job  heating up the shanty as well. stay safe
when we fear the government its tyranny when the government fears the people its freedom

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2011, 02:52 PM »
I run mine in front by the door of my XLT on a 2" block of rigid foam. It works good like that for me. Unless its -20 below, I only run it on low and I always run the fan.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:49 PM »
I have a Guide and I run mine in front like Lizard does, my holes don't ever freeze over when it's in front. My Guide has side vents though.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:40 PM »
NO pics.but all I did was cut a 10" piece of 1/4 Luann and center a hole in it just big enough to slide the propane bottle in it.then screwed one side to the shanty and the other to a piece of 1x6 long enough to keep it level.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.