Author Topic: Loading a fish trap in the back of an SUV by yourself?  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
What stops me from buying a fishtrap (one man) 60 Lbs or so is getting it back in the truck (SUV) any of you guys have some kind of pully system with a couple of ramp maybe? (looking for an excuse to buy...)

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Loading a fish trap in the back of an SUV by yourself?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:56 PM »
My scout weighs 47lbs dry with an extra 10lbs of gear. dont have any problems getting it in the back of my ford explorer.No gadgets here.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:08 PM »
just a 2x6 plank should be all the ramp you need.  I hoist my Pro into the back of my vehicle and it's flippin' heavy, not sure why that thing weighs so much. 

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:56 PM »
I've got the Kodiak at 60 lbs.  It's a bear, but I put it in my Suburban alone.  May try a plank.
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I can load my pro full of all my gear(rods,tips,heater,flasher,auger,ect) by myself without any gadgets. Just buy one you will figure it out! :flex:
Pig
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:19 PM »
It was easier years ago to load everything.  Now at 60 it's all more work.  I load mine by starting the back end first then use the rope to assist.  I may start loading it in my sled trailer by using the ramp.  I tend to unload all my gear first.  I carry a large storage box in the back that I keep all of my stuff in anyway.  Flasher, camera, heaters and misc equipment. 
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I am probably a little older than some of you guys and not as bull strong but I have a frabil and a method that makes it easy I pull it up to the back of the truck front of the sled close to the tailgait throw the tow rope over the top pick up the back of the trap rest it on my knees hen lift the front by pulling on the rope with a slight forward push it 's in

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I used to load my 2 man frabil ranger loaded with auger, heater, 20lb LP tank, flasher, misc equip by myself..... I would pick up the front end of the shack and lean it aginst the tailgate than go to the back of the shack and slide  it in with all the gear in it...... Wasnt that bad....

I can throw my 1 man clam with small heater, a few 1 lb tanks, flasher, ect all in it with ease. I just stand at the front of it and grab the tent bars on each side and pick it up... The back of my F150 is pretty high too.....It sounds worse than it is....

BUT if you need assistance a single 2x6 maybe 6 ft long would make it easy to slide into the back of the truck.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I am able to load my new Trapper II just by lifting it, but I use a plank when loading my 2 clam.

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I load my trap pro fully loaded..2.. 5 ft.  treated decking board..5 1/2 in. by 1in. ..needed the 5 ft. so the angle would not be so steep..loads and unloads easy in the back of my explorer.. :tipup:

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:36 PM »
i load my nanook fully loaded into the back of my fathers truck all the time.
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline Rubberdaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:04 PM »
This winter loading has been simple. Just push it off the snowbank into the truck. 4ft snowbanks all over CT

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I load my Frabill XL Twin into the back of my pickup when it is empty. Pretty cumbersome,but it gets done. If I was 50 instead of 67 I would chuck it in from 10 feet away. The last 17 years has made a difference.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I've found I can pick up my FishTrap Pro by picking it up by the rails where they bolt on to the brackets. Minus the auger, locator, and rod bucket of course!
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:13 PM »
I have a 3 man flip over and loaded I'm guessing it weighs as much or more than me but I get it in the back of my full sizes GMC pick up by myself without any trouble, I'm 43, 5'10 and on a good day 135 pounds. I leave my gear in it while loading even the 20# propane tank.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I have a 3 man flip over and loaded I'm guessing it weighs as much or more than me but I get it in the back of my full sizes GMC pick up by myself without any trouble, I'm 43, 5'10 and on a good day 135 pounds. I leave my gear in it while loading even the 20# propane tank.

hearing stuff like this makes me think I am chubby.....5'6" and 200lbs..... haha oh well, what I lack in physical attractiveness I easily make up for with my amazing personality ;D and a sweet ice shack!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I have a 3 man also, load it myself every time, but I take stuff out....load the shack by lifting one end up on tailgate and then lifting and pushing it partway in, put stuff in, slide forward, close tail gate.

It really only takes a couple of minutes to take stuff out and put back in....plus I don't like a 11# propane tank sliding back into my Vex every time I want to put it in or out of the pickup nor having the auger with fuel sloshing around that much.

As said before, get the shack and you will find what works for you.  I'm not a big guy either and on the backwards slide from my prime... ;D

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Flashers, camera and auger don't stay in the sled, auger lays along side it electronics go in the cab so I can get to them to charge, shack stays in the truck till spring.

Offline JMJ IA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I made a pair of folding ramps out of 2 x 6's and some hinge to load my Trekker.  I'll post some pics soon.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:50 PM »
Make a simple rectangular frame of 2X3s or 4s with two as long as your cargo area and two whatever width you want. screw or bolt the cross pieces on top of each end of the longer pieces. Set the frame with one end on the tailgate/bumper the other end resting on the ground. slide the shack onto the frame then lift by the cross piece and slide the whole thing into the vehicle frame and all.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:46 AM »
Pretty slick there Allen, I like that.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:48 AM »
JigAwhopper's idea (that works great) is using an aluminum ladder section cut to size for best fit and use it as a ramp, slide shanty on ramp then lift at bottom and slide ladder and shanty in together. Back it out same way all together, drop end, then slide shanty off.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:12 AM »
It was easier years ago to load everything.  Now at 60 it's all more work.  I load mine by starting the back end first then use the rope to assist.  I may start loading it in my sled trailer by using the ramp.  I tend to unload all my gear first.  I carry a large storage box in the back that I keep all of my stuff in anyway.  Flasher, camera, heaters and misc equipment. 
I noticed how much heavier it got  at 60 also.  I go the board also but I put a piece of metal that catches the end of the truck tailgate so it doesn't walk ahead.  My Eskimo is 88lb empty so it was a grunt  but this year I bought a Frabill Recon one man and thats the way to go.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Same here with my 6x8 Canvas Craft Magnum.  I do need to bevel my hyfax though as the leading edge can catch.  I haven't loaded mine with gear inside yet, but plan to get that part organized soon. 

I've been contemplating a pulley at the front of the bed to see if I can pull up and in without lifting.  I have a notion that this will be more hassle than it's worth though.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I wonder If you could hook up a deer pulley ( 5-1 ratio turn) push , pull etc....

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I run 1 ratchet strap across the front of the truck bed hook another to the center of that hook it to my tow rope. I can lift the front of the sled to the tail gate rest the lip on edge of it.
Take up the slack and start working the strap. That will get the nose up far enough to push her in.
Warning take out the minnows and make sure everything is tied down.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:13 PM »
why not just stand it on end a the back of your truck, leaning the one end on your tailgate, stop it from sliding with your foot, and with the rope end on the ground, lift the rope and it slides into the back of your truck? Not too hard, and I load my yukon myself into my truck this way. no need to re-invent the wheel!!

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I've found I can pick up my FishTrap Pro by picking it up by the rails where they bolt on to the brackets. Minus the auger, locator, and rod bucket of course!
This is the same way I do it in the back of my Tahoe.

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:16 PM »
why not just stand it on end a the back of your truck, leaning the one end on your tailgate, stop it from sliding with your foot, and with the rope end on the ground, lift the rope and it slides into the back of your truck? Not too hard, and I load my yukon myself into my truck this way. no need to re-invent the wheel!!

Because everything will fall out on the ground, lol!!!!

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Because everything will fall out on the ground, lol!!!!

ya gotta unload the thing. been using one for a few years and load and unload it all the time. thats why they call it ice fishin!!!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.