Author Topic: Lantern or Rope Lights??  (Read 4307 times)

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lantern or Rope Lights??
« on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Hey All,
I'm usually a walleye guy, but found a couple good lakes close by with some nice crappies and also late-biting walleyes.  I have a Clam Yukon and am wondering if I should just get a couple battery powered lanterns are attach some rope lights?? I go with my brother almost every time, and last year were struggling with just head lights.  Thanks for any help!

icefishingluva  :tipup:
Let's fish it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Lantern or Rope Lights??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:29 PM »
I actually prefer a white gas or propane lantern. Bright white light is nice and the extra 1000 btu of heat is a bonus! I have tried them all and always go back to the propane lantern and a headlamp.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Hey All,
I'm usually a walleye guy, but found a couple good lakes close by with some nice crappies and also late-biting walleyes.  I have a Clam Yukon and am wondering if I should just get a couple battery powered lanterns are attach some rope lights?? I go with my brother almost every time, and last year were struggling with just head lights.  Thanks for any help!

icefishingluva  :tipup:

I also chase walleye and fish a bunch in the dark.  I fish big ice and pull my Otter with my sled and ended up breaking 2 globes and numerous mantles last year so I said the heck with this!  I bought these LED Ropes, 2 of them, and they rock!!  Hooked them to a Vex battery and its awesome light.  By far the best LED Rope lights I have ever seen.

http://besthongkong.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_71&products_id=230

Steuben1

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:07 PM »
I really like lanterns. They are a little more of a pain to use than electric lights but they give off a good amount of heat and tons of light. I found a like new dual fuel coleman for $5 at a flea market. Just needed a globe and mantle. You will most likely break globes and mantles if you put it in your sled. I have broken two globes and a bunch of mantles. My advice would be to get a wire mantle. It's not made of glass but rather a metal mesh. No need for wind protection if you are in a shack.

You could make one out of steel (maybe aluminum too?) mesh if you have some laying around. In fact, you really don't need a globe if you are careful and out of the wind.

Offline basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I also chase walleye and fish a bunch in the dark.  I fish big ice and pull my Otter with my sled and ended up breaking 2 globes and numerous mantles last year so I said the heck with this!  I bought these LED Ropes, 2 of them, and they rock!!  Hooked them to a Vex battery and its awesome light.  By far the best LED Rope lights I have ever seen.

Steuben1

Best led rope lights i have found. They are very bright and light up my fish trap guide real well.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Always had a lantern for the extra heat, will probably use the rope lights more due to the fact that the light is fairly bright and want to try to fish darker this year.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Have you ever saw a lantern box? I use them all season without breaking a globe.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I have not broke a globe in the last three seasons and replace mantles very seldom. The lantern cases work great.

I have heard tons of praise for the best hong kong lights, I plan to use them in addition to my lantern this winter.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I had the same problem with my globes. I tried to use a large empty can to put over the single mantle lantern top and that worked for a little while. Then I went to wire globes. I still lose the mantles every couple of outings due to jostling. The only reasons I don't get rope lights or led lanterns is the amount of light is way less and I like to have a lantern going for light as I pack up my sled. I also got a splitter so that the lantern sits right on top of my 5lb tank for my heater. And the low angle of light keeps it from glaring in my eyes.
Interested to see how people like their rope lights and if it's a pain to set them up or if you zip tie them to the poles all season. I just got a popup shack, so that will be impossible.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:50 PM »
I use a lantern but late last year at the end of ice season I bought a round HT LED light that resembles a Frisbee or
UFO. I know these new led lights are bright  but I also think you need to position them correctly as to avoid glares
and blindness. ;D I do love the technology though!
Fish on!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Lantern with a box works well.  Or you can get one of thpse fold-up ones that attach to a small propane cyl

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I like propane lanterns because they also give off just enough heat. I did buy the clam rope lights a few years back but have yet to use them, maybe this season

servocam

« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I have LED lights that I use.  One is the Lg Clam Light/Fan Combo and others just some small LED lights and works great for my 6x12 Command Post.  I went with the LED lights after listening to a friend complain about the lantern.  Plus, I didn't want to drag the lantern around.  I think I'll one of those rope lights.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I use both a single mantle lantern and some of these:

They have three settings and at max look like this:

Plenty of light for the Scout and they have a magnetic back so they are easy to stick on one of the hoops.  Bought 'em off of ebay last year.  I think they are called UFO lights or something like that.

-Jeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:29 AM »
I still like the sound of a lantern on a cold night.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Used to use lanterns. But got tired of the burns on clothes and skin. Cant say i like the smell ether anymore. Now its rope lights all the way. Plug in and presto. Light. :o
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Although, lanterns give light plus they put out heat. Only downside would be melting your line against it.
Fish on!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:51 AM »
Got the lights all installed.  Boy do these LED's rock!  No more broken mantels, no more broken globes, no more burned ice line, no more burns on the shanty.  I will go out and take pics and post them later.  I have a buddy heater so I don't need a lantern for heat.

Steuben1

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I also like the sound and the brightness of the gas lantern.
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:00 AM »
If you are sick of burnt clothes and line, try one of these.

rickl1968

« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:05 AM »
Wow thats cool, is that home made or store bought?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:20 AM »
Made by some pros years ago. Experts in store fronts. Kawneer Co. employees/icefisherman.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Wow! That thing's sweet! Does it get warm at all?
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:00 AM »
Wow! That thing's sweet! Does it get warm at all?
Nick.
I can set kids on it without the worry of them burning themselves.

You can put your hands above the lantern and keep them warm. When I set on it I leave my coat unzipped so the heat keeps me warm.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:11 AM »
Last night I tried a rope light in my shanty. It was 12 foot long and a 110V. I hooked it to a battery to see how long it would last and how much light it gave off. It was a nice effect but the inverter I used had a cooling fan in it, also using power. I timed the lights and they lasted less than an hour. For the amount of light I had it was not worth it for the cost of the rope light.  I don't think it was an LED type? It seamed to get hot, which to me means it was using allot of battery. I may try and find an LED rope light that is made for 12V instead of the 110V version. But for now I will stick with my GOOD CHEAP LIGHT along with my lanterns.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Is there a divider in the middle, between where the lantern and the seat part?
Nick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2010, 05:03 AM »
Is there a divider in the middle, between where the lantern and the seat part?
Nick
Yes there is a divider. There is an inch hole in it that lets enough light into the storage so you can see at night.

you can see this box and others under the post  MY FAVORITE LANTERN BOX.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2010, 01:20 AM »
Got the lights all installed.  Boy do these LED's rock!  No more broken mantels, no more broken globes, no more burned ice line, no more burns on the shanty.  I will go out and take pics and post them later.  I have a buddy heater so I don't need a lantern for heat.

Steuben1
YES THEY DO!

Offline ihavethetools

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Can i ask what the length is of those lights ? Looks as though you have two of them. Thanks

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2010, 05:40 PM »
I think he has the BestHongKong ones also.  If so, they are 48cm long.  Here is a link if you want to see them.

Steuben1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.