Author Topic: Another UHMW runner question.  (Read 15541 times)

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Re: Another UHMW runner question.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I got some 1/4" thk. x 1.5" wide x 12" long of some kind of white plastic a buddy gave me.Bolted and bent awesome with no trouble at all,counter sunk the holes etc. 45 bevel on splices. Staggered the joints even. Looked all ready for ice time. 1st. time out dragging it on the edge of the pavement heading to the lake and it started to pull real hard all of a sudden, I turned around and they were breaking off 1 by 1 leaving the bolts sticking out digging in to the road. Plastic was super brittle in the cold,never gave that a thought. Redid it all trying to use the same holes I drilled. Not fun.  Lesson learned- buddy's are nice but free hand outs sometimes are not worth it! 

Offline pepsiman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:18 PM »
MICHIGAN MAFIA  I just wanted to let you know I recieved the 4 UHMW sticks, and put 2 of them on my Yukon. Everything was great. Thanks for helping me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
gettin the crapps

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Needed a heat gun for some other projects so will be picking one up this afternoon, that should bend that uhmw good. I need it for shrinkwrapping the boat anyway.......its on sale.....

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:28 AM »
I have been asked several times for more info on materials used, and size of the runners I installed.  I sure don't mind the PM's, and am happy to help any way I can.  Here is the reply I sent to the most recent one... 

I used 1 1/2" X 1/2".  They ended up about 55" long for the Yukon.  I had US Plastics send 60 feet of it cut in 5 foot lengths to do 3 Yukons (20 feet per sled).  The screws are stainless with washers, and nylon locking nuts.  I added a dab of silicone to the top of each screw to seal the sled, and to further lock the nuts.  I pre-drilled the holes and countersunk the screw heads.  Then I attached the first screw, heated the UHMW with a hair drier and bent them, then continued with the rest of the runners. 

I went with 4 narrow runners for several reasons.  First was price.  Second they where easier to bend.  Third it distributes the weight better when sitting on the sled.  Fourth was tracking while pulling.  I think if you went with wider it may make it easier to pull in deep snow, but these work well.  Also I STRONGLY recommend bending the runners up the front as I did.  Many times on the lake you will have a ledge from the ice to shore.  Also on the lake I have run into snowmobile tracks frozen in the ice.  The bent runners protect the front of the sled. 

My sled pulls easier by hand, and tracks more true when towing it.

And another picture of the finished product in case you missed it earlier.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #64 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Got UHMW sticks, 1/2 x 1 1/2 from michigan mafia. SWEET!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:05 PM »
just got done doing 2 sleds time consuming but well worth it thanks for all the great ideas you get of this site putting alot of then to good use

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:30 PM »
i            i used nuts and bolts took it downstairs and did where it was warm it was easier to bend

rickl1968

« Reply #67 on: Oct 17, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Here is a picture of my otter with teflon runners I installed myself. No heating to bend at all. WAFER HEAD stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.