Author Topic: Another UHMW runner question.  (Read 15543 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Another UHMW runner question.
« on: Oct 31, 2009, 06:46 PM »
This question is for the guys who put the UHMW plastic runners on their sleds...

I have a Voyager that I better put slides on before I drag the bottom out of it. I was wondering if 1/4 inc thick UHMW is thick enough to properly countersink bolt heads or pop rivets into? I would just go up to 1/2, but it costs more and it wont bend as easily. Should I use bolts or pop rivets?

I already emailed US Plastics, and they WILL cut the stuff into short enough lengths for UPS to deliver.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another UHMW runner question.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Skipper, I used the 1/4" and had no problem with countersinking it. It's been on for 2 ice seasons and occasionally dragging it across parking lots and it still looks new. I think US plastic has gotten a couple thousand dollars in orders from Iceshanty users in the last couple years.  The power of the shanty. ;D
Ken                                          

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Do we have a sales team? ;D

If they packaged the stuff and sold it pre cut, they would be rollin in it! I will likely go with 4 7' peices of 1x1/4 then.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:40 PM »
I used 1/4" as well with no issues with the bolts.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Used 1/4"x2" UHMW on my guide, countersunk the mounting holes with a forstner bit. Applied GE silicone to the underside of the wearstrip to prevent water entering the sled. Used aluminum pop rivets to attach the wear strips. Someone should notify the vendor about the activity generated by this site.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Have you considered snowmobile sliders (hyfax)? I'm going to be installing 2 lengths of plain black short track sliders under my pro, using a heat gun as needed to make the bend. Give a lot more depth, and might save a bit of coin. Just a thought.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:04 PM »
That stuff is tough enough to allow counter sinking at 1/4" but I would use a flat head bolt like this
I bet my left nut that you won't ever come close to ripping out one of these.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I am with Tainterslayer.   I have delrin runners 1/4" and I used the countersunk flathead bolt in stainless.   No issues!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Have you considered snowmobile sliders (hyfax)? I'm going to be installing 2 lengths of plain black short track sliders under my pro, using a heat gun as needed to make the bend. Give a lot more depth, and might save a bit of coin. Just a thought.

I need four seven foot lengths of it, 28 feet total. The Voyager is a BIG stinking trap. I dont have enough used hyfax around to pull that off. Hyfax is about $14 a stick, UHMW is about a buck a foot in 1x1/2.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Ever look at a Otter hyfax kit, predrilled, contersunk holes, and stainless steel mounting hardware. Installed one on my small sled, like everything Otter it's not cheap.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:42 PM »
I can drill my own holes for the price. This stuff is gonna cost $28+shipping, that is tough to beat.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I can drill my own holes for the price. This stuff is gonna cost $28+shipping, that is tough to beat.

Wait til you buy the stainless hardware   ;)

I bought the UHMW from US Plastics a month ago for both my FT Scout and Frabil TrekkerII.  Total for both was $40

I got enough stainless hardware the other day to mount the stuff on one shanty or the other, and it was another $26.  I would have got enough for both but I cleaned them out of the size bolts I wanted   ;D   Oh, in that $26 was a new countersink bit also, that was $5.

I suppose I could have got away with non-stainless stuff, but I'm the type to overdo things.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:40 PM »
My Dad has a 5 gallon pail full of aluminum pop rivets for some reason, I think I will use those. Dad also has all the counter sink bits and stuff like that. His personal stash of drill bits and cutting tools puts all but the finest hardware stores to shame. The man has been hoarding tools for 50 years, it works out pretty good for me! ;D

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2009, 10:58 PM »
how far apart do you put your bolts/rivets?
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2009, 12:40 PM »
I used 1 1/4x 1/2 on my Yukon.  I attached them at the front edge, the back end then 3 in between.  I really like the runners curved up the front of the sled.

A tip... attach the front, and then heat and bend it in place.  I did mine in about 30 minutes.  I used Stainless hardware with washers, and nylon nuts on the inside of the tub.  I also added a dab of silicone to the tops of the nuts just as a back up. 

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Have you considered snowmobile sliders (hyfax)? 
Check with a local snomo shop on user slideravailability as a lot of repair shops have tons of perfectly useable old sliders lying around after servicing someones sled.Most will just give them away free...............Can't beat free.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2009, 03:33 PM »
Im hoping my cousin can pick me up some of the hyfax ......i told him burnt up works just fine if its free. Figure i can get 48" strips from some.......and get enough to replace as needed......

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:02 PM »
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this post. I actually work for a plastics company in Michigan and we have a warehouse full of every grade and thickness plastic that you might need. We also have CNC routers that will cut and drill any shape or size. Let me know if I could be of any help.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:14 PM »
where abouts in MI?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Is UMHW the ideal product for the cost?

Offline billbert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this post. I actually work for a plastics company in Michigan and we have a warehouse full of every grade and thickness plastic that you might need. We also have CNC routers that will cut and drill any shape or size. Let me know if I could be of any help.

I am looking for enough to cover my Yukon 4 sticks at 54" I think. What type of stuff do you have??Thanks

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Probably not as good as PFTE Teflon, and definitely not as good as anti gravity... but it is what most people use. It is verrrry abrasion resistant, should outlast any other plastic you put on.

Offline hulv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2009, 05:58 PM »
I posted this a couple of weeks ago but it looks like this might be what you guys have in mind

OK here is what I have come up with in the off season     
the pics were from my phone   sorry if they suck

this is the "sled" or mortar mixing bucket I bought from the home depot. $11.99

here are the UHMW runners I put on it got em from EBay $19.00 for 10 pcs. I only used 4 of em so I have extras to replace them with I carefully laid it all out and everything is straight counterbored and even

well I like to be comfortable so I got a gamma seal lid $7.00 and attached a boat seat $35.00 to it I have found a short bucket to attach it to (hard to bend down....   something is in the way??? might have something to do with the BEER laughs the old lady while I am in full ice gear trying buckets in the livingroom)  the gamma seal ring stays on the bucket and I can remove the seat by spinning it on or off  and I have built in  waterproof storage for the electronics

and last I have a couple of kitty litter buckets freebie attached and a little shelf (freebie.... you laugh at me I am cutting up the cutting board) to hold my Joe and some bait and the such   the kitty litter buckets are just a hair larger than my fishing buckets so they don't get stuck together  (theres that d**n BEER)

just enough room behind the buckets for the auger....      I think this just might work.

I know I am not the only person in the offseason to make a sled   lets see them.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Good luck using that Home Depot mixing box.I bought 1 last week and after mixing 2 bags of motar in it after emptying it and went to clean it out, it broke into 3 pieces!Very flimsy and thin and cheap plastic.Cannot imagine what will happen to it under low temps and some rough ice and snow.I think you wasted a lot of time and money on that.My origianl Jet Sled is over 4 years old and its finally showing its age but I will still get a couple more seasons out of it.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2009, 12:59 PM »
ok...we got an alro here in GR i think but they were pretty steep on pricing........

Offline pepsiman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:18 PM »
I just talked to one of our salesman and he said that UHMW is the best product for that application because it is water resistant. Here are the prices that he gave me for UHMW Black Repro.

(4) pieces of 1/4" UHMW Black Repro 1" x 60"  would be $18 plus shipping.

(4) pieces of 1/2" UHMW Black Repro 1" x 60"  would be $23 plus shipping.

The Repro is basically just reprocessed UHMW, in other words, it has not been made from scratch, but rather recycled from scrap UHMW thus making it more cost effective. This material retains the same properties as "virgin" or "natural" UHMW, but because of the reprocessing has a dark, speckled color. Hope this helps.

I would love to have u get me 4 pc of 1/2 inch. I will send you a p.m. and see if we can get together.
Thanks a bunch
Randy

gettin the crapps

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Has anyone used down hill or cross country skis??? Does it work. I have a frabill magnum gt with the trax system????

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Has anyone used down hill or cross country skis??? Does it work. I have a frabill magnum gt with the trax system????

On my old shack I had 4 downhill skis.  They did not ride up on top of the snow like I thought they would.  In fact when the snow was warm and sticky it piled up in front of the sled and was worse!  I took them off and upgraded to snowmobile Hyfax.  The Hyfax worked better than the skis, but when I got my Yukon I went with UHMW runners.  The UHMW is much better IMO.   

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I bought some wooden cross country skis and the tips broke off the second time out. I replaced them with some UHMW runners and they work great.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:30 AM »
How do I go about getting some?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.