Author Topic: Ice Shack Anchors  (Read 11261 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Shack Anchors
« on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Alright...... I've done a search and read through a TON of postings about different ice anchors. I am HOPEFULLY getting a new shanty this year and it's going to be a Frabill Guardian flip over. One popular meathod seems to be to use just some 5/16" x 6" long lag bolts and fender washers. Sounds like many people don't like the "T" Handle style. What do you guys use??

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Re: Ice Shack Anchors
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Big trouble with the T screws is that they are hard to start into the ice, if you are lucky enough to get one in and the wind comes up they bend over into L shape., I just got some of these to try this season.

Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:07 AM »
The lag bolts and a cordless drill make for short work anchoring your hut. The "T" handles work fine but some time it's a pain getting them started.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:44 AM »
The ice screws that ice climbers use.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2009, 05:18 PM »
  Second this comment.
Chris Raymond

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I use clams ice armour kit. You permenantly attach some clips to your shelter and when needed screw in the ice screws and clip to your shanty

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2009, 06:12 PM »
I use clams ice armour kit. You permenantly attach some clips to your shelter and when needed screw in the ice screws and clip to your shanty

Ice Junky.... in that Clam Kit... they claim that the ice screws are "self tapping".... how easily do they start into the ice?

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2009, 04:14 PM »
I tried to put the Clam anchors in ice last season just one time. I was unsuccessful. But I only gave it a once over because as soon as I noticed my patience waning, I pulled out my 18 volt DeWalt drill and punched some 1/4 inch holes where I needed and spun the anchors in with a screwdriver using it as a pry-spin bar. Almost effortless and sturdy as a BIG rock!

If you put them in right, they can pull a 4 wheeler out that went through! Your mileage may vary.... Put them in all the way down in a nice flat clean spot in the ice. Square with the ice so the tee sits level on the surface.

Chances are though, I`ll almost never use them up here. 1: The wind may not be strong enough (I mostly fish on calm mornings and quit before noon B4 the wind kicks up) and 2: I can tether to my equipment if needed. Snowmobile, 4-wheeler, gear sled or even my auger in a partial hole.

Thumber,
I sure like the looks of that anchor! May even be build-able. If I can leave the DeWalt at home, that would be 1 less thing to worry about.  :)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Ice Junky.... in that Clam Kit... they claim that the ice screws are "self tapping".... how easily do they start into the ice?

The ice screws where not that bad, you had to put some pressure behind them but I had no issues getting them started.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2009, 10:28 AM »
im not sure which brand......but i have a few different brands......1 starts great.....1 starts ok....and 1 (think its eastmans) i cant start at all becuase the screw head is too big and not  enough.......I usually start all with 1 brand for an inch then put in the tough ones....i dont like the ones pictured, as too many people dont punch the holes thru when they done and can cause some serious injuries if stepped in.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:02 PM »
The Clam anchor screws work better than the one that came with my HT shelter. The from HT were roughly plated. The Clam screws were smoother and seemd to go in better. But I did have to put good pressure on them to get them started. Sometimes, the more I turned the more the ice would break around the screw. I've been wanting to get ice climbing screws but they don't come cheap.
jbird68

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Tap T handle anchors in with a  hatchet to start .  And use all anchors ! You never know when the wind will change and blow your shelter out of position ! Heaters and fabric don't mix  :'(

Offline Chevy_94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this year round"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2009, 05:46 AM »
I've seen clam makes an adapter now for a cordless drill that goes over the T handle to drive them in. just a thought.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:21 AM »
T handled anchors hold great but are a pain to start and they are tiring if you use 4 or more of them. Getting a hole pre drilled would be the best way.. Maybe bring a hand drill with you? Or a 1/4" drill bit with a handle on top to turn it.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I just bought the Shappel T-handles to anchor my portable down. I may grab an old socket , fire up the grinder and make a groove in socket to spin em in with a small rachet(less weight than a cordless).

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:56 AM »
i 2nd the ice screws ice climers use easy to start hold great  ;D ;D

Offline bottomslimer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2009, 08:40 PM »
where to find the ice screws climbers use .I have checked a few outdoor sport sights and no luck.thanks for any help.B.S. :tipup:

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:58 PM »
E bay has used and new ones you can get away with used.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline hardwaterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:23 AM »
i use a teflon-wrapped short section of aluminum tube. i think its about 12" long (cant remember). it has two holes drilled in it at about 7" apart (centered) to keep it centered at the bottom of the (8")  ice hole. through the holes i ran some yellow plastic rope, and at each end it has clips. the clips attach to two eye-bolts that i have protruding down through the back/rear lip of my flip shanty (trap pro). everything is permanent. the anchor wraps up neatly and is extremely light.

there is nothing special involved in setting up this anchor, just drill a hole a couple feet behind the shanty, drop the anchor in, then attach the two rope ends to the eye bolts. (then pull tight) no tools, no frustration, no worries about leaving the shack to do some hole-hopping.

its an afternoon project to set it up, but once its done its pretty slick i think. and thats what November's are for.  :)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:25 AM »
If you can get them, the Eskimo ice screws are the absolute best t-handle you can get. They are frequently out of stock. Aggressive thread that makes it no work. $10 a pair.

However, if you only need one ice anchor, Skipper did a post on a thread w/in last couple of months, excellent heavy duty mountain climbing screw knock-off for $20 per anchor.
The address was:  http://ultimateiceanchor.com/

Offline bottomslimer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:40 AM »
E bay has used and new ones you can get away with used.thanks for the tip on ebay.I am bidding on some right now. thanks B.S.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:11 PM »
ESKIMO ice anchors are great. It took me awhile to get them as they are always out of stock.They are beefy and sharp,They go in real easy with no pounding and hold really really well. About $10 for 2 of them.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:40 PM »
"Hey, honey, come on in here and sit down a few minutes.  I gotta go out and check the tip-ups."

Offline fishing grampa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I agree, ESKIMO ice anchors are great!!!!

Mainedog that is very funny, but I can't get my wife to go ice fishing with me, she says fishing is for summer....
Sometime hard water is a good thing..............

Offline Chevy_94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this year round"
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2009, 09:12 AM »

Mainedog that is very funny, but I can't get my wife to go ice fishing with me, she says fishing is for summer....

My wife says the same thing, i think its lust because she can't catch LM bass in the winter.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:01 AM »

Another vote for this.  They aren't cheap, but nothing comes close to gripping power.  I use at least one of these to anchor and Eskimo screws hold down the rest. 

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Another vote for this.  They aren't cheap, but nothing comes close to gripping power.  I use at least one of these to anchor and Eskimo screws hold down the rest. 

And one more vote. They are also vary east to start.

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:28 PM »
I have eyebolts in the front and rear of my tub . Big ones 3/8" with 2" fender washers and Nylock nuts . When I'm ready to set permanent in one spot for awhile and want to anchor down I drill 2 holes 1 on each back corner . I have 2 pine boards 1 1/2" x 12" x 3/4" . Theres a hole drilled in the middle of each board and I run polyprop rope thru each about 3 foots worth . Push the board down thru the hole till it clears the ice and draw it up tight under the ice then cinch the rope down tight thru your eyebolts and yer golden .

I can't take credit for either the eyebolts or the board anchors though they were tips I got last year from this very forum .

This place is invaluble for information sharing !  ;D

Sometimes at the end of the day you might have to spud the holes out to get your anchors back if the temps are low enough to lock the holes back up .

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2009, 04:33 PM »
I think i like an idea I heard....Take a 1/4" socket wrench with extension and get some 4" thinner lag bolts with large washers.....just wrap the rope around the lag bolts and tighten down to ice........only thing quicker is a cordless drill, but i dont want the extra weight.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:47 PM »
This is what I'm going to use this year.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.