Author Topic: Making a fish trap voyager!  (Read 20296 times)

Offline pmac3522

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Making a fish trap voyager!
« Reply #60 on: Oct 23, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Well I looked at the local Menards because it was on the way home and I couldn't find them.  I looked by the hooks and peg board stuff, but it might be somewhere else.  I did however find a magnetic bar that I am going to install in my shack to hold loose jigs and tools.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #61 on: Oct 23, 2009, 07:29 PM »
If you can't get any let me know. I'll by a set and either mail them to you or meet up with you on a lake this year. Are you anywhere near Lansing?

Offline pmac3522

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Oct 23, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Thanks, but the closest town in Michigan to me is probably Iron Mountain.  I live in Wisconsin and I have only been to the U.P.  I have never been to the mitten.

I have a few more hardware stores I can check out, so I will just keep an eye out for them.  Thanks again for the idea.

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #63 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:22 PM »
WOW, can't believe I missed this. MUD you have truly outdone yourself on this project. I love the lights you put throughout, are those led's?

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Pop the seat off and you could crash in that for the weekend. That is a slick looking rig you made mud.

Kilroy

I have a couple of them wrap around hanger doo hickies that I bought at Cabelas a couple years ago, I went back last ice season and they did not carry them anymore. They are not as long as the ones you have but I have been using them for rod holders. The longer ones would be better tho, I will have to look at Menards and see if they have them.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Nov 04, 2009, 05:34 PM »
Well today after I went to Gander Mountain to check out all the ice stuff I ran over to Shappell and picked up the clips to make my spreader bars. I have been searching around for a month and a half for something because I didn't like Clams $10 for 6 plus shipping on top of it. I finally pulled out one of my poles out of my DX4000  and tried it on my 3/4" tubes and found they would work. I told the secretary there I wanted 20 of them. She asked me what was I doing with them, eating them? I explained it was a home built and she counted them out and threw in a couple extra. $10.60 and I'm out the door.

Since one end of my spreader pole is 3/4" I put the clip in a 1/2" pole and crimped it down first.

I then rivited the 4" tube containing the clip to the length of 3/4".

I cut the tube to my needed and welded a nut to the tube over an over sized hole.

Then I installed a set screw that I got at menards. Now I have adjustable spreder bar.

With that done I needed a place to store the pole when not in use. Well I had some velco laying arond so I attached it to the rod compartment lid. I can still access the rods with them attached.

I can now bear down in winds or acheive the windbreak position like I wanted to.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:18 PM »
looks real good   i need a couple of those clips for the ends my my poles   i got a used shanty and the guy i got it from put a bolt through the poles and the pole fits over them.

Offline Goose Commander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:24 PM »
I thought it is unsafe or not possible to weld conduit.  What kind of welding did you use?

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I thought it is unsafe or not possible to weld conduit.  What kind of welding did you use?
I weld conduit all the time with a mig welder.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:09 AM »
just make sure you have plenty of ventilation......if it is galvanized the fumes coming off it are EXTREMELY toxic.........

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:20 AM »
When you made the main frame for the tent did you use 1/2 conduit inside of 3/4 conduit. Also where is the best place to buy cheap conduit??? Thanks for your time. Mooks

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:29 AM »
   Mud, this project is really shaping up....You do nice work!.....Bet you can't wait to get it on the ice?...Looks like the cats' MEOW...... :thumbsup: .....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:29 AM »
That thing is amazing mud. You are a god in shanty world for sure.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:35 AM »
When you made the main frame for the tent did you use 1/2 conduit inside of 3/4 conduit. Also where is the best place to buy cheap conduit??? Thanks for your time. Mooks
Those are the sizes I used. I just get my conduit at Menards the stuff is cheap as it is.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #74 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Nice job mud! I wouldn't charge the battery with all of those connectors so close. The acid will eat them up. You might want to take out the battery for charging! Just a thought!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Hey Mud,

A question on the spring buttons.  I found the Mcmaster-Carr listing but I'm not sure which ones would work best in the 1/2 in with the 3/4in outer tube.  Assuming you used a single button, does the button stick out enough with all the play between diameters?  I'm making a Yukon with a fresh tent and a Team Wild Sled and I chose to follow you're lead with the conduit.  Don't have the bucks for the original hoops from Clam, or aluminum tubes for that matter so the heavier steel will have to do.

Look's like a great trap there.  Should last years for your family.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 12, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Copperjohn

The bag of them I have has a part # 94282A130. These had plenty of legnth in the 1/2" conduit to hold the 2/4 securely even with the play. I placed the button about 6" from the end of the 1/2' tube to keep the play to a minimum. Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Thanks Mud,
Exactly what I need. 

I'm also going to insulate my tent with Reflectix foil insulation by attaching it with velcro to the inside fabric. Especially the ceiling.  I did this with my Pac Shak III last year and it made an incredible difference in heat retention and condensation drip on the coldest of days.  It also reduced wind/fabric slap.  With my new Lighthouse tent, it will block most of the daylight penetration, though it shure reflects light inside.

Thanks Again
Copperjohn
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:29 AM »
Very nice job!!!  :thumbsup:Mud
You will like your ski set up I have built a couple for deep snow they cut right through. Slides real nice the kids can pull it  :flex: Enjoy and Tight Lines to you. :icefish:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 28, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I bought a set of RPS clip yesterday so I had to do some work on the shanty today. My side brackets were in the way to install them.

Since I had it set up I installed the yard stick I bought a while ago.

I finally got around to building the hitch. Once it was on I mocked up this!

Many people where concerned about the box end when the snow gets deep. Well I had this piece of a poly snow plow blade that I can simply add to the front any time I need it!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #80 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Lookin good Mud. All we need is some ice. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Badback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing and especially documenting the construction with pictures.

Offline rricchi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:25 PM »
I built a pop up shanty about 25 years ago. Nowhere near as advanced as yours, but I really enjoyed the process and I loved the shanty because it had all the features I had always wanted in a shanty.  After seeing yours I realize I didn't have anywhere near the creativity you have. Very nice ideas, and very well built. Good job!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.