Author Topic: Idaho fishing - talk to me  (Read 1435 times)

Offline ammoman16

• IceShanty Rookie
Idaho fishing - talk to me
« on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Hi everyone.  I have lived my whole life in Minnesota.  It is common for us to get 3' of ice on the lakes in the winter here.  I have been contemplating a move to the Coeur d' Alene area and am curious as to what I should typically expect for ice conditions and fishing opportunities.  Also, I fish a lot for large musky and pike during the summer months.  What are the opportunities out there to catch pike and tiger musky 20-30 lbs or more?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Offline solesoaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Idaho fishing - talk to me
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:31 AM »
ice, well some years are better than others but your quest for 20-30lb pike and musky.....hmmm not impossible but rare the 3 years I lived in northern Idaho I never did hear of a fish over 5lbs that was not a cat or steelhead/salmon. but variety of fish and choices are great, more or less name it and north idaho has it
what did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2012, 09:53 AM »
if you make it down around McCall or Cascade they have decent size musky, little Payette lake they stock musky's and cascade gets some from that lake through the river, I caught a 26lb, 46.5"er last spring that is gonna be done a the taxidermist here in a month or so,
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:06 PM »
You won't see 3' of ice up here.  The small lakes around north Idaho usually get a foot to 18" most years.   We usually have safe ice befor Christmas.  Upper twin has the Pike record for Idaho.  Something  like 41 pounds caught last year.  Each of the last 3 winters I have seen several 20 pound + pike come thru the ice on upper twin.  Quite a few from 3 - 10 pounds.  Hayden is another good Pike lake.  The old record of 39 pounds came out of there.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Good numbers BlueDuck.
 There was a good Pike fishery developing down the Pend O'reille River, but, alas, nothing is forever.
 Check out the problems at the  link.     :'(

http://www.khq.com/story/17353668/northern-pike-being-removed-from-pend-oreille

Offline ammoman16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm not entirely sure what my future holds, but if I can find a way to get out there I will.  It sounds like I'll definitely be giving up some size on the pike/muskie though.  Me and my fishing partner have boated as many as around a dozen over 10 lbs in a day here.  I think the trade off for all the additional hunting opportunities would be worth it though....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.