Author Topic: Bass Lake Problems NewsPaper Article ~ A reply from the S.Bend paper  (Read 691 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Last month Jan 8th a thread was started "Bass Lake Problems". I read it, looked up the article and emailed  the author of the article. Today I found his reply in my Junk folder, He had replied immediately but I didn't see it until tonight.

Here is his reply with the article link above, below is the email I sent him.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/outdoors/outdoors-what-s-going-on-in-bass-lake/article_d6807df7-1191-50d6-adf7-49559b7db9de.html

Thanks, Charlie

From what I understand from the biologist, efforts are underway to reduce weed sprayings at Bass Lake. Let's hope they follow through. Of course, there aren't many left in there to spray right now.

As far as the political pressure, especially at Maxi, you are right. I and fish biologists battled access for years but the power of landowners made it difficult. It is totally insane that a lake that big doesn't have a better access and parking.

The issues you raised aren't limited to Bass or Maxi. They are a universal problem throughout Michiana. The biologists are on our side, but their powers are limited. These kind of things require a unified effort on the part of sportsmen to apply more pressure on legislators and the governor to do what's right.

- louie

This is the email I sent

Hi (his name removed).

Please read all of this if you want to know the truth. I personally have communicated with Lake Associations and the DNR, they refuse to acknowledge the problem is weed overkill.

In a article you wrote," Bass Lake continues to remain a mystery to Hoosier fish biologists ".

Its not a mystery, fisherman know what the problem is. With money and political influence you can do most anything. Thru political influence the Lake Association sways the DNR to allow weed overkill, that's why the fishing has bottomed out at Bass Lake.

Biologists know the problem, they just won't admit it or do anything about it. Its been going on for years at Bass Lake and Culver's Maxinkuckee. Why? Because it would be admitting wrong doings.

The problem is the Lake Association at Bass Lake and Maxinkuckee lake think they own the lakes and those lakes are their private lakes for boating and skiing. They could care less about fishing or fish habitate.

If you don't believe what Lake Assoc. can do listen to this. 8-10 years ago my brother personally talked to the land owner directly across from the boat launch at Maxinkuckee. The land owner was going to turn his vacant lot into a pay to park for fishermans boat trailers. Doing that would increase public access for fisherman. The Maxinkuckee Assoc. blocked it so the land owner eventually sold it and there is a home there now.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
Very interesting read ! Thank you for sharing this . Makes alot of sense

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
Same thing has happened in northern IL where my son lives.............some good lakes but NO access.
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline stanton21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suggest indian has a dock tax. Make lake owners pay. Pay dor a dock..
I'm standing right next to you and you don't even know it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.