Author Topic: How much ice needed to drive on?  (Read 15275 times)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
How much ice needed to drive on?
« on: Nov 08, 2011, 01:32 PM »
So I bought my first 4x4 and excited to get to a few lakes that were usually unreachable unless a friend would be going at the same time. I understand that not all ice is the same, but typically how much ice do you wait for in order to drive a SUV or Truck on it?

I'm sure I'll wait to see other tracks before I go out, but just curious.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: How much ice needed to drive on?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2011, 01:32 PM »
Look at the bottom of my Signature. Single click on it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Just like lefty says....

Watch the other guy go first..... :whistle: I won't do less than 15". My life depends on it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:04 PM »
check your ins, they may not pay for any loss due to the ice.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Will do, but as put above. I'm only going to go where I see tracks for the time being. I'm not that brave yet.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:24 PM »
that is where you might go thru. if you don't know the lake and where the bad spots normally are you need to really pay attention to detail. keep your window down and don't have your seatbelt on.anything that is not waterproof can be put in containers that float and is waterproof.safety is the most important.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Understandable. Honestly you can go through just about anywhere. Last year we had 17 cars go through in one day or weekend and most were near commonly used areas. We'll just have to see how it goes. Good set of eyes and the right precautions will pay dividends.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:59 PM »
Problem there is everyone parks close together. DON'T DO THAT!!!! 40-50' apart!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:27 PM »
What about plowing the ice? Any thoughts or experience there?.... I would of course push and pile snow at the shoreline and make short runs I guess .... but I hate to think 18"-20" wouldn't be enough ice  to be safe or do I need more?

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Will do, but as put above. I'm only going to go where I see tracks for the time being. I'm not that brave yet.
Just because you see tracks doesnt mean its safe.
People walk on 2 inches of ice, is that safe for all?

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Just be careful where you park!!!!

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:10 PM »
What about plowing the ice? Any thoughts or experience there?.... I would of course push and pile snow at the shoreline and make short runs I guess .... but I hate to think 18"-20" wouldn't be enough ice  to be safe or do I need more?
Plowing the ice definately helps to keep the snow from insulating it and will help it get thicker quicker, I plowed a road to my hard side every year till I sold it ! With that being said, plowing ice is highly Dangerous, all ice is not the same, no two ways about it, I have seen guys that are too lazy and they don't check it and old billybob drops the plow and heads down the lake only to find out he's driving his 3/4 ton plow truck on 6 inches of ice and we All know how that story ends !
 A lot of people don't know about the wave of pressure the weight of a vehicle creates under the ice and the faster they drive, the bigger the wave they create till the force of it cracks the ice in front of them and we All know how that story ends too ! Be careful out there and never take the ice for granted because the One time you do, may be your last !!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Good advice, it applies to everything I think.... don't get too comfortable...... thanks Surflizard

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Just be careful where you park!!!!

(Image removed from quote.)
I fish Winnipesaukee the biggest lake in New England and still hesitant as to drive a full size Dodge 1500 on there. If the ice is nice and this possibly. But i walk stuff out or hand pull the shanty like the last 6 years ice fishing with a shanty.

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:23 AM »
25 years ago I drove a Cat 518 Skidder On Lake Winni for a logging company on two of the islands out there ! We plowed roads across the lake and also brought Tri Axle logging trucks out there ! But back then we also had 36 to 48 inches of ice on a regular basis too, nowadays we're lucky to get 24 inch's on a good year, The technique that allowed us to do it it was the fact that the company hired 2 local guys who knew the lake like the back of their hand were responsible for drilling and checking the ice all day long, everyday for the duration of the logging operation ! A few years later another logging company took a contract on one of the islands and they did not hire locals to check the ice and they lost one of their guys to a warm water spring when the dozer he was driving back from the island at the end of the job broke thru and he went to the bottom, F&G divers found him still buckled in the drivers seat !
 The whole point to all this rambling is that no one should EVER take the ice for granted, for the guys that are too Lazy to chop or drill a hole to check the ice, can end up paying for their Ignorance with their Lives !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.