Author Topic: Arctic Armor questions  (Read 8323 times)

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
Arctic Armor questions
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Well, I am seriously thinking about taking the plunge this year.  The idea of the "floating" suit has got me sold & I just had a few questions before making the purchase. 
I see that there are two different kinds (red/black & the green/yellow), is the only difference the temperature rating?  I currently do the layering of my clothes underneath & by the time I get to my spot, I am already sweating.  So I think the lighter (red/black?) suit would better fit my needs.  I am 6'2"  200#, what size would be the best for me???  I am thinking I might want it one size bigger, just in case I do hit the 15 below/30+ mph winds, so that I can add extra underneath layers & still be comfortible in the suit.
Any help/input is greatly appreciated!

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arctic Armor questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:11 PM »
I'm 6', about 190# and I think I got the large, which fits perfectly and has enough room if I want to wear more. I think the only difference between the 2 is the green has a fleece liner on the inside. By the way, I love my artic armor. It's light and very warm. The floating part makes me more comfortable too.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I have the Red and Black suit and it is very warm. The Green and Black suit has a Tricot liner and can be hard to put on due to the Tricot grabbing your clothing and not letting it slide over it easily.

Here is an Arctic Armor sizing chart. I hope it helps a bit.

Sizing Chart - Order larger than your actual measurements - Sleeve measured from center of back
SIZE CHEST SLEEVE
Jacket XL Up to 54" Up to 36"
Jacket L Up to 52" Up to 36"
Jacket M Up to 50" Up to 35"
Jacket S Up to 48" Up to 34"
Jacket 2XL Up to 56" Up to 37"
Jacket 3XL Up to 60" Up to 38"
SIZE WAIST INSEAM
Bib XL Up to 48" Up to 33"
Bib L Up to 46" Up to 32"
Bib M Up to 45" Up to 30"
Bib S Up to 44" Up to 28"
Bib 2XL Up to 52" Up to 33"
Bib 3XL Up to 54" Up to 33"

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:20 PM »
You know, I was in the same position as you last year.  I was looking at AA and Clam, heck even Frabil.  I have no real dedication to any of the manufacturers,  I can only give my honest opinion about my experience.

I went to a store that had the AA, Clam and Frabil suits.  I tried them all on.  All were very nice suits but I finally made my decision on the AA because of the fleece lining in the green and black suit.  The AA suit is extremely light.  When I first put it on,  I thought there would be no way it would keep me warm, but it does.  The frabill was big and bulky, imho.  I liked the Clam suit, but again imho, it was nothing more than a windbreaker.  I got my Arctic Armor Plus suit for $300.  It has been the best suit I have ever owned.  Its lightweight, breathes well and washes nicely.  The pockets are arranged nicely and there are many of them.  Two things that I had to get use to with the AA Plus suit.  First, the bibs down at the bottom are a little tricky to put on.  There is a second enclosure for your legs that you need to velcro shut.  If you try one on, you will know what I mean.  Secondly,  I had to learn how to layer properly.  Not that I ever got cold, but layering is important with these suits.  The previous suit I was wearing for ice fishing was my Whitetail Extreme suit from Cabelas.  That sucker you don' t have to layer in!  But then again, its very heavy.

I spent a little more money on the AA Plus because of the fleece lining and the fact that it floats.  I'm sure others don't care for it, but for me, it was the right choice and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

By the way,  I am 6' tall and 210 lbs and my jacket is a XXL and my bibs are XL and they both fit perfect.

Good Luck

Steuben1

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:22 PM »
I';ve had my AA suit for 2 yrs and wouldnt go out without it. I bought mine in a close out that was green and yellow.
the bad thing was I live in pittsburgh and the first week i wore it the Steelers were going to play Green bay. Needless to say i was harassed all day.
Ive been ice fishing for probably close to 40 yrs and went thru 2 times once to my knees and the other just abopve my boot tops. the AA is IMHO the best buy out there,Ive been on a lake here in PA called High Point ,in 10 degrees and 25 mph winds and gusting i was nice and warm with nothing more than a flanell shirt sweat pants and light thermals
i go 6' 245 and i love them ;D

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Im 6'2" 250. I have the green/black suit. Top is xxl bibs are xl. I found they ran small. I also have the all black light weight suit. Both top and bottom are xl. I found these sized to be more true. Great investment for sure!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I was looking at getting this suit also but looking on red rock store they have a new one called striker suit it floats and looks really  well thought out.  I called rrs and they told me they liked the striker better its a night and day difference between the two.  On their site they compare it to frabill sno suit that floats

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:41 PM »
my AA has been great. I sleep in mine right on the ice and am never cold. I just purchased a camo set for hunting as well. Different material and super quiet. The only drawback is their customer service!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Fish Idaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2011, 01:09 AM »
I got my black suit two years ago...nice.  220 lbs 6 ft and a xl bib and xl jacket fit perfect.  This suit gives you great mobility and flexibility and the entire suit weighs 5.5 lbs.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:33 AM »
I have had mine AA suit for 5 seasons and I am 6'1 and 250 and I have the XL and the pants are little tight do the fact I enjoy a few beers, but for the money it is the best. I have a Mustang suit and it is rated for USCG flotation but is not water proof and very heavy I use it on my boat.I have also owned the Clam blue suit sold it on ebay after freezing when I used to watch football at Giants stadium poorly made compared to AA suit The wind just cut right threw it!! Go for the AA suit after 5 seasons I have fished in Rain, Sleet and Snow and I only layer it with good thermal long johns like UnderArmor and I have stayed warm, and you can't go wrong PLUS IT FLOATS and your love ones will like that.     

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:38 AM »
-25 Below on the thermometer with a steady 35 mph wind, fished out in it all day long, Nuff said !

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I just ordered the camo suit yesterday.....after all I have read and heard about this thing, I can't wait until I can try it out!
Jack

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:52 PM »
I too am in the market for a good suite that floats. Doing a little research, I am quit interested in the Striker floating jacket and bibs. Anybody done a hands on comparison with AA ? Sure would like to know before I spend the dough.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:55 PM »
I too am in the market for a good suite that floats. Doing a little research, I am quit interested in the Striker floating jacket and bibs. Anybody done a hands on comparison with AA ? Sure would like to know before I spend the dough.

As thick as the ice gets on Chaumont Bay?  You planning on fishing elsewhere this winter??
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Hey Essox, good to hear from you. If I'm going to spend the money, it might as well float. I know we measure the ice thickness on Chaumont in feet, but that one guy that falls thru every year (you know the one) , don't want to end up like him. I also do a little fishing around here when I can. Can't wait to get out. I'll keep in touch.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Love my ArticArmor.  I got the camo one so it will pull double duty during duck season!
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:10 AM »
green and gold aa (cheaper price), very light and warm, floats. great suit, love it.

Offline easy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2011, 05:17 PM »
i really don't like the zippers and i don't like the opening for the pockets. i do like the fact that it floats and keeps me warm an that it is very lite or is it light. try it you will probably like it.

Offline doski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I';ve had my AA suit for 2 yrs and wouldnt go out without it. I bought mine in a close out that was green and yellow.
the bad thing was I live in pittsburgh and the first week i wore it the Steelers were going to play Green bay. Needless to say i was harassed all day.
Ive been ice fishing for probably close to 40 yrs and went thru 2 times once to my knees and the other just abopve my boot tops. the AA is IMHO the best buy out there,Ive been on a lake here in PA called High Point ,in 10 degrees and 25 mph winds and gusting i was nice and warm with nothing more than a flanell shirt sweat pants and light thermals
i go 6' 245 and i love them ;D

Slider, where did you find AA in your area, I'm from the same area.   The only place I found was in Erie.

Thanks
Dave

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:02 AM »
thanks for that review ice fishing maniac. now the only question that remains is which suite? the lite or the regular? it sounds to me that the lite suite would work if you fish out of a shanty all winter. you still have to get there. maybe the regular suite would be better. you can allways un zip or remove instead of looking for more to put on. Any thoughts?

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:39 AM »
I bought the AA green and black last year and my 3rd time out we had a guy go through in 20' of water. 2 of us had the suits and the ice was very thin in the spot where he went through. It took us 10 minutes to get over to him on our bellies but we managed to pull him out. Without having that suit on we probably would have seen that fellow drown. As it was he was almost done by the time we got to him. I used to wear a Cabelas expedition goose down parka and thinsulite bibs and the AA is every bit as warm without all the weight and bulk. Fishing on those warm rainy days is certainly a benefit since the suit keeps you dry. A friend jumped into a pool last summer with his AA suit on to test it and he said it floated just as advertised. I am 5'9" and weigh 190 and have L for the bibs and XL for the parka.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.