The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Interesting watch from WY G&F  (Read 2532 times)

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Interesting watch from WY G&F
« on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:03 PM »

I hope this continues to work out!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Interesting watch from WY G&F
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:08 PM »
This is how you eventually end up
With crappie and walleye in your trout lakes and rivers.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:43 AM »
Hard to tell if that is sarcasm or not.  From the video, it would appear that WG&F is targeting specific bodies of water for this experiment, not the wholesale implementation state wide.  It has been widely held by professionals in the field of G&F management that a significant amount of unintended introduction of unwanted fish species into most places is from the bucket biologists.  They are an insidious lot and should be shot on site when discovered practicing their skullduggery.   :roflmao:

Walleye & crappie - for some folks - are much more desirable to eat than trout.  So having a few lakes that have a thriving population of either or both would be a good thing IMHO.  Not that I fish Wyoming a lot, but occasionally I get over there for some piscatorial pursuits and walleye are in the top three fresh water species I like to target, right behind yellow perch and kokanee salmon.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2021, 04:45 PM »

No more so than getting them from out of state, like they do now.  It will have no effect on the bucket brigade, which is how they are spread....

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Yeah I hope they keep it up and produce millions to put in all the lakes around Wyoming.. If they mess up and accidently put some in lake that didn't want them in that's ;) ok to.. LOL

Most of us would rather catch a walleye than trout any day... ;)
Marvin

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2021, 03:16 PM »
So much talk about the bucket biologists when the G&F have released many of these unwanted species themselves. We won't talk about the accidental release of walleye into the Platte, or smallmouth into Fontnelle, or the burbot that were put into Big Sandy that feeds the green river, or that pesky article from the 1950s about the G&F putting Lake Trout into Yellowstone Lake. It is definitely the everyday bucket biologist doing the stocking! I'm not complaining at all. Before going back to "natural" fish they actually thought of the fisheries for the sportsmen. Now all the money is in the native species so they had to shift their priorities.
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2021, 04:41 PM »
All I can say is nice to see them doing the walleye since one lake I fish gets stocked with thousands every year. Would be nice to see more crappie stocked in boysen or even bass lake just happy to see them working on some projects.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2021, 06:44 PM »
So much talk about the bucket biologists when the G&F have released many of these unwanted species themselves. We won't talk about the accidental release of walleye into the Platte, or smallmouth into Fontnelle, or the burbot that were put into Big Sandy that feeds the green river, or that pesky article from the 1950s about the G&F putting Lake Trout into Yellowstone Lake. It is definitely the everyday bucket biologist doing the stocking! I'm not complaining at all. Before going back to "natural" fish they actually thought of the fisheries for the sportsmen. Now all the money is in the native species so they had to shift their priorities.

gsawyer:

Would you be willing to post that article on lake trout stocking in Yellowstone Lake that you reference above?  I would like to read it.

ClearCreek

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Now that’s something I can get behind. What a meaningful use of our tax dollars. 
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Djfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2021, 11:16 AM »
Good.

There is a long way for us to drive to get anything besides trout.  I like trout fishing, but want to get into perch, walleye, crappie, etc.  I hope this hits Carbon County.

Offline Keiz2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:28 PM »
This isn't the first time WYGF has attempted to have a warmwater/coolwater fish culture for stocking.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2021, 12:38 AM »
Quote from: Elkhnter link=topic

Most of us would rather catch a walleye than trout any day... ;)
[/quote
AMEN TO THAT!
Thread killer

Offline Honks34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:46 PM »
The lack of intelligence in this thread is astonishing. There is nothing wrong with walleye existing in trout lakes. In fact, walleye will help grow bigger trout, but talking to trout snobs is like talking to a wall.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2021, 11:14 AM »
The lack of intelligence in this thread is astonishing. There is nothing wrong with walleye existing in trout lakes. In fact, walleye will help grow bigger trout, but talking to trout snobs is like talking to a wall.

Honks:

Can you post the scientific studies that show putting walleye in trout lakes results in growing bigger trout?

Also, can you list a half dozen lakes where this has been shown to work?

Just asking!

ClearCreek

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2021, 12:15 AM »
Seminoe, pathfinder and w3 are great fisheries with big trout..... and they have walleyes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.