The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sauger limit  (Read 1431 times)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sauger limit
« on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Is it a plus two? I don’t see anything combining them to your walleye limit.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Sauger limit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:35 PM »

Kill, Kill, Kill! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:40 PM »
None.  C&R only!  😎
Don

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:06 PM »
walleye is 6 and 2 sauger limit for state of WY some lake limit is 3 sauger so check where you fish

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:11 AM »
Big Horn Reservoir has special regulations so check if you plan on fishing there.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2021, 10:46 AM »
I have found that when you find the Sauger, you tend to catch a bunch of them, and usually just Sauger (at Boysen at least).  They were 40-50' deep and hard to release because of barotrauma and inflated swim bladders.  Better to just move to another spot to avoid releasing them to die!  I have also found that the flesh is not the same as Walleye, it is softer and not as firm (an admittedly small sample size, these were 13-15" fish from Boysen).

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2021, 10:47 AM »
While we’re at it where do “saugeyes” fall into this category. A lot of saugers out of boysen you could make the argument they aren’t pure. Just to stir the pot....  ;D
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:17 PM »
People killing the walleye and sauger due to barotrauma in the winter is a much bigger issue than keeping 2 sauger a day. Had a guy bragging to me how he and his friends caught over 80 suager and walleye out of 60 feet of water. Well good work buddy! You just killed 80 fish and didn't even keep one!
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:48 PM »
While we’re at it where do “saugeyes” fall into this category. A lot of saugers out of boysen you could make the argument they aren’t pure. Just to stir the pot....  ;D

We asked the biologist for the region about that.  They handle hundreds of fish each year when they are sampling, and have just not seen any Saugeye out of Boysen.  Edit: they performed a genetic analysis on them and none were hybrids.   

If they have spots in the dorsal fin, its a sauger ;D  And believe me, we wanted them to be hybrids so we could eat them!!!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:54 PM »
People killing the walleye and sauger due to barotrauma in the winter is a much bigger issue than keeping 2 sauger a day. Had a guy bragging to me how he and his friends caught over 80 suager and walleye out of 60 feet of water. Well good work buddy! You just killed 80 fish and didn't even keep one!

You see people all the time on YouTube saying "I am going to real them up slow, to not injure them".  Doesn't matter with Walleye, Sauger or Perch, they can't burp the air out like a trout....

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:47 PM »
We asked the biologist for the region about that.  They handle hundreds of fish each year when they are sampling, and have just not seen many if any Saugeye out of Boysen.  If they have spots in the dorsal fin, its a sauger ;D  And believe me, we wanted them to be hybrids so we could eat them!!!

But what if they have black spots and the dorsal and a white spot on the tail!? Only joking. I also wish those carnivorous sauger were walleye or saugeye! You can be having. Subpar day and all of the sudden. Wolfpack of those little sauger come through and set off every tip up you’ve got! It hurts to let eater fish go after traveling for 3 hours to good eating fish waters!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2021, 06:33 PM »
I"ve found the easiest things to do is once you catch 2 or 3 saugers or walleyes is go home or fish the river that way your not tempted to kill fish or break the law. Yeah I know once you drive for 3-6 hours to get there one wants to fish so yes the limit on certain species sucks. At boysen its pretty easy once you catch a few of those toothy critters- Take the regular poles and go down below the dam from the train track bridge to the tunnels and you catch all the species of trout one would ever want.
Marvin

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:42 PM »
They have genetically tested some fish in the river below Boysen that were in fact saugeyes, not very common, but they (G and F) have found a few, which guarantees walleye won't be stocked in the Wind River and Boysen. That means the spawners should be released if you are a walleye fan.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.