The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Scoop or swoop  (Read 1523 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Scoop or swoop
« on: Jan 24, 2021, 12:29 PM »
I carry a light weight plastic snow shovel to clear my cuttings around my ice hole.  Some scoop, some use a boot and kick away the cuttings. Some just leave the slushy ring around the whole as a berm to keep the errant fish from falling back down the hole.

Do we have a more popular way to attack the hole?
Thread killer

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Scoop or swoop
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:42 PM »
I run polar tip ups and I use my boot to push the shavings away. If there is a breeze I try to build it up on that side to make a wind block but having a nice smooth area around to let the fish run and not have something for the line to catch on and pull the hook or break the mono I run for a leader. Have used a shovel before and is just something more to carry as the ice scoop can get move anything i need to scrap away for the most part.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:08 AM »
I always use a shovel to clear the chips away from the hole.  It makes it very easy to keep the hole chip free.  If not cleared, then the chips always seem to get knocked back into the hole every time a fish is brought up through the hole and the scoop needs to be put into action to clear it.  But then, I was an engineer in a previous life and like things nice and tidy - know what I mean Vern?   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 01:27 PM »
A quick swipe with the boot and it's good enuff!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:21 PM »
I forgot to mention; the shovel also is very handy for putting snow on the apron of the tent to keep out light and wind driven snow along the bottom edge of the shelter.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:37 PM »
A quick swipe with the boot and it's good enuff!
  X2

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:52 PM »
The real pros have girls with a squeegee clearing around their holes ;D

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Been pushing the slush down the hole via reversing my cordless set up in my hub this season seems to be good idea thus far..but on the hole hopping holes outside it is coned up ..I may kick a swipe or two for my Vexilar or kick a swipe if its a hot hole or detect structure via my Vexilar or AV camera.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2021, 03:04 PM »
I use hole covers so the area has to be flat. Doesn't have to be level with the ice but it has to be flat.  I'm usually out with a few other guys and I got the gear, so I drill the holes and let the lackys clean them.  We use a small retractable emergency snow shovel. Small footprint in the sled.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:18 PM »
I always shovel around the hole smooth. Once had the line get caught on a frozen shard and break. Besides who doesn't like a clean hole?
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:35 PM »
I always shovel around the hole smooth. Once had the line get caught on a frozen shard and break. Besides who doesn't like a clean hole?

Well stated, Jim! @)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:09 PM »

Same here. I've had enough issues with line getting caught on frozen slush around holes that I take an extra couple of seconds and use the scoop to *ahem* clean my hole...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.