Author Topic: Beer Batter  (Read 3313 times)

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Beer Batter
« on: Dec 21, 2004, 05:43 AM »
I've got one recipe for beer batter but would like to try some others.It is the only way my wife or daughter will eat fish so i need to spice up my cooking a little bit.Any help would be greatly appreciated!        Thanks   Elkman

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Beer Batter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Let's see your recipe for the beer batter?

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:23 AM »
              2-3/4 cups flour
              2 tbls oil
              2 eggs
              3/4 tsp salt
              dash pepper
              1 cup FLAT beer
              3/4 cup water
             2 tsp garlic powder
    Mix water,eggs,beer,and oil together enough to break egg yokes.In another bowl mix together all dry ingredients.Whisk dry ingredients into liquid mix and then refridgerate untill ready to use.I got this recipe off of the internet and am looking for some home brewed variations.I've thought about adding some tabasco sauce or cajaun pepper to spice it up but just have'nt got to try it yet.   Elkman

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:09 PM »
I add the beer to pancake batter, mix it until the batter sticks to the rungs for the fork. The batter can't be too thick because the fish doesn't cook right! Try it it's real good, works well on crappies!!   :tipup:
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

DEERMEAT

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I USE A STORE BOUGHT MIX MADE BY GOLDEN FRY. ALL YOU ADD IS 1 CAN OF BEER. IT"S FOOL PROOF.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Deermeat, is that the mix that says to add one can of beer minus a couple of swallows?? There used to be one that said that, so I always obeyed.   :)
Pete Lewis

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Hi all,

They have 100 beer batter recipes all in one place at:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,beer_battered_fish,FF.html

:tipup:

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:27 AM »
Hey......going to try a beer batter tonight with my fresh caught crappie ;D.  My question is....... is there a preferred style of beer (Lager , Red, Porter, Stout etc)?  Obviously, one you like to drink is without a doubt the #1 consideration.

And second, I see some that call for stale or flat beer.......does it matter if it is freshly opened or not?

Thanks,

K

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Hey......going to try a beer batter tonight with my fresh caught crappie ;D.  My question is....... is there a preferred style of beer (Lager , Red, Porter, Stout etc)?  Obviously, one you like to drink is without a doubt the #1 consideration.

And second, I see some that call for stale or flat beer.......does it matter if it is freshly opened or not?

Thanks,

K

I think it's better when it's freshly opened.  It makes the batter very light and fluffy.  It's the same reason some pancake mixes call for soda water instead of regular water - the C02 bubbles lighten up the batter dramatically.

I usually use regular old American lager - even light lager sometimes, from a large brewer.  In my opinion it doesn't matter much which kind, but guests tend to prefer a lighter-looking batter.  If you use a stout or something it's going to be very dark.  Might be tasty, though ... I haven't tried it with Guinness.

In chili I like to use Saranac Black Forest, but there's a big difference between what you're looking for in a chili and what you're looking for in a fish batter.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:19 PM »
I just finished off a bunch of crappies by myself after using this recipe (courtesy of Cooks.com):
----------
1 egg
1 c. cold light beer
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
15 boneless, skinless crappie fillets

Beat egg in a bowl. Add all other ingredients to bowl except fillets and mix well. Wash and dry fillets (pat with towel). Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in pan. Dip fish pieces in batter to coat well. Fry in hot (~350 degree) oil for 3 minutes, turn and fry another 3 minutes.  Place cooked fillets on a drip tray to remove excess oil.  Enjoy!
----------
I made a couple changes to the original recipe I found, but what I've listed above is exactly how I did it.

They were delicious.  I dipped them in a homemade honey mustard sauce (1/4 cup mustard blended with 1/4 cup honey) and it was GREAT!  I caught them on Sunday and filleted them that night, storing the fillets in the fridge in a plastic bag with water in it until tonight (2 days).  There was no fishy taste or smell at all.  And they were firm but flaky inside the puffy fried batter.  Awesome recipe.

I think you could probably serve 4 adults with this no problem if you had side dishes as well, and everyone would get plenty.  Personally, I just stuffed myself with fish and didn't worry about sides, probably ate more than I should have.  But it was worth it  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.